Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
About a week ago I noticed my MBPs hard drive is remarkably loud.
When I got the MBP it was not noticeable; it was just....quiet.

I recorded the noise with the internal microphone of my MBP.
-> -> Play audio file

Just turn up the volume of your MBP to the fourth highest setting (three empty rectangles) and you can hear what I am hearing.

The OS has already been re-installed a few times.
The Disk Utility says, that the drive does function properly.

Is this noise of any concern?
What can I do about it?

MacDaddy08

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Some hard drives are louder than others. The Seagate tends to be a little more noisy but not to be of any concern. I would check you boot rom (EFI firmware) and make sure it is updated to the latest version. Go here to check it. If it is and you get that noise all the time. Unless it is affecting the functioning of the MB I wouldnt be concerned. If you want some peace of mind you can always take it to the Apple Store, it should still be under your 1-year warranty.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
My MBP froze twice during normal operation.
Maybe this is related to the HDD one way or another?

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Could be.

Backup, check the smart status ( probably say everything is dandy!)

and if it keeps doing it, take it in to be looked at :)

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
I have a 120gb Seagate in my MBP, and it's getting louder as the drive fills up. Still works just fine though, so I doubt it's cause for any concern.

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
If you're downloading stuff (especially one or many large files at the same time), your HD will make a lot of noise and be busy therefore your comp may become slower or freeze.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
To put it in a nutshell, the noise of my hard drive is normal compared to other MBPs?!

Ludwig

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
I know this is an old topic, but I've just bought a macbook pro, the one before the new model, and it sounds just about the same as the sound clip. I would also like to know if it's normal or if it is a reason to complain?

Ludwig.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.