Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Nov 6, 2003, 06:15 AM   #1
kylos
macrumors 6502a

Deleted User Partition

A very bad thing happened last night. After loading Panther onto a test partition, I attempted to get it to recognize users on a dedicated users partition. Attempted, because when I logged back in, only the administrator account created on the Panther partition was left. I'm guessing that through the medium of tiredness I either sudo dittoed the wrong way or sudo rm -dr'rd the wrong user folder. And so disaster has struck. Since I'm cheap, and since the Mac is so reliable, I haven't bothered buying Norton. Which was a poor decision since you can always overcome the best systems with plain old stupidity.

Anyway, I was under the impression that Unix has a utility to recover lost files. I was also told that Norton requires a separate index to be created in order to work. What I'd like to know is what I can do to get my data back (I shut down the computer, though being on a different partition should keep my drive from being corrupted on startup). Is there a (relatively) cheap way to get it back and if not, how much am I looking at for professional recovery. Thanks.

--Repeatedly banging my head
Kyle?
kylos is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2003, 06:58 AM   #2
kylos
macrumors 6502a

Mods, please move to the correct forum. I came in through the front page hardware and software thread group without realizing it split into separate forums.
kylos is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers