Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 27, 2008, 06:53 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Leopard drubs Vista in corporate satisfaction survey




Category: Mac OS X
Link: Leopard drubs Vista in corporate satisfaction survey
Description:: March 26, 2008 (Computerworld) Corporate users of Apple Inc.'s Leopard operating system are more than five times more likely to say that they are "very satisfied" with the OS than business users of Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Vista, a research firm said Wednesday.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:07 PM   #2
BongoBanger
macrumors 68000
 
BongoBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
53% of Leopard users with about 7% of the corporate market as opposed to 40% of XP users with about 75% of the corporate market. Vista isn't widely used just now.

I'm not convinced MS will be that worried here considering that Apple's corporate share isn't projected to change.
BongoBanger is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Eraserhead
macrumors G4
 
Eraserhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Yeah, but this is comparing the current OS's. Although MS's XP share won't go away for a while, this shows its latest effort is taking a drubbing.
__________________
If they have to tell you every day they are fair you can bet they arent, if they tell you they are balanced then you should know they are not - Don't Hurt me
Eraserhead is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:15 PM   #4
BongoBanger
macrumors 68000
 
BongoBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Except no-one is migrating from XP yet because it works and they don't have to. Don't get me wrong, but the chance of a large portion of corporate users migrating to OSX is zero. What's far more likely is that they'll stick with XP until either Vista becomes more appealing or Windows 7 comes out.
BongoBanger is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Eraserhead
macrumors G4
 
Eraserhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBanger View Post
Except no-one is migrating from XP yet because it works and they don't have to.
True, but they'll move to Vista eventually. They might move to Windows 7, but it'll have to be amazingly better than Vista.

Personally I think MS's management is rotten, to an extent I hope they screw up Windows 7, as it'll mean they get some new blood at the top.
__________________
If they have to tell you every day they are fair you can bet they arent, if they tell you they are balanced then you should know they are not - Don't Hurt me
Eraserhead is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Sesshi
Banned
 
Sesshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: One Nation Under Gordon
I'm wondering when Computerworld became an Apple Fanboy pub. Every single story about Apple it features, truth or not, seems to fawn over the company. What gives?
Sesshi is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:25 PM   #7
BongoBanger
macrumors 68000
 
BongoBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Eraserhead:

I hope they don't screw it up but...

Oh well. Time will tell.
BongoBanger is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:28 PM   #8
Watabou
macrumors 68020
 
Watabou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
True, but they'll move to Vista eventually. They might move to Windows 7, but it'll have to be amazingly better than Vista.

Personally I think MS's management is rotten, to an extent I hope they screw up Windows 7, as it'll mean they get some new blood at the top.
I hope they don't screw up. I don't want to see Microsoft die down. Not that I will switch to Windows 7 but if they keep up the copying and not innovating, yes then they are screwing themselves over.
__________________
Haswell 15" rMBP, 2.3GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD, 750M
iPhone 5
Early 2008 MBP, iPhone 3GS (retired)
Watabou is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:28 PM   #9
Eraserhead
macrumors G4
 
Eraserhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesshi View Post
I'm wondering when Computerworld became an Apple Fanboy pub. Every single story about Apple it features, truth or not, seems to fawn over the company. What gives?
XP did do pretty well though, 40% isn't bad compared to OS X's 52%. They aren't completely fawning though, they wrote this .

Personally I think the problem with peoples impression of Vista isn't that its worse than XP, its just MS changed a bunch of stuff like the control panel names for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watabou View Post
I hope they don't screw up. I don't want to see Microsoft die down. Not that I will switch to Windows 7 but if they keep up the copying and not innovating, yes then they are screwing themselves over.
Well hmm, it depends whether the current slow and steady decline of the company is good or bad for everyone else.
__________________
If they have to tell you every day they are fair you can bet they arent, if they tell you they are balanced then you should know they are not - Don't Hurt me
Eraserhead is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:59 PM   #10
Pippen Man
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Comparing Mac OS X Leopard to Vista...business? Why would they choose that one? It's a known fact that corporations don't just jump on a new OS, especially a Microsoft one. But why Business? How about Home Premium? The most default of all of the versions.
__________________
Windows Vista... or Windows Mojave?
iPod touch 16GB 2.0
iPod shuffle, 1GB
Pippen Man is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:27 PM   #11
Anderson3133
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBanger View Post
Don't get me wrong, but the chance of a large portion of corporate users migrating to OSX is zero. What's far more likely is that they'll stick with XP until either Vista becomes more appealing or Windows 7 comes out.
I'm going to have to disagree. If you have noticed Apple has been making large progress with students recently, and will continue to do so. I believe that as they begin to get jobs, and create jobs they will begin to bring OS X into the workplace. So, maybe OS X isn't being introduced into todays business or work environment (because people are scared of change, much like with the Vista and XP stuff going on right now) Microsoft changed a lot of their stuff, and people who are accustom to XP don't like a LOT of these new Vista features, which is why Vista keeps getting this bad publicity about it. So as time progresses and current students age, OS X will slowly slip it's way into that market.
Anderson3133 is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:34 PM   #12
Craigtimms
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
True, but they'll move to Vista eventually. They might move to Windows 7, but it'll have to be amazingly better than Vista.
that wont be hard
__________________
Alu-Imac 24" 2.8ghz 4gb ram. Leopard 10.5.2
Emac 1.25ghz G4, 768mb ram (going to 2gb soon), Leopard 10.5.1
Craigtimms is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:34 PM   #13
BongoBanger
macrumors 68000
 
BongoBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson3133 View Post
I'm going to have to disagree. If you have noticed Apple has been making large progress with students recently, and will continue to do so. I believe that as they begin to get jobs, and create jobs they will begin to bring OS X into the workplace. So, maybe OS X isn't being introduced into todays business or work environment (because people are scared of change, much like with the Vista and XP stuff going on right now) Microsoft changed a lot of their stuff, and people who are accustom to XP don't like a LOT of these new Vista features, which is why Vista keeps getting this bad publicity about it. So as time progresses and current students age, OS X will slowly slip it's way into that market.
Sorry, no. There is a massive difference between students as individuals buying computers for their needs and those of corporations buying for their needs.

It's worth pointing out that Apple has been popular with students for a number of years whilst their corporate market share has remained small, mainly because they're different markets.
BongoBanger is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:48 PM   #14
Apple Ink
macrumors 68000
 
Apple Ink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Well, maybe that does change this WWDC
Have a look at this article from 9to5mac:


http://www.9to5mac.com/apples_secret_plan
__________________
Either we're alone in the universe or we aren't. Both are equally terrifying..
- Arthur C. Clarke
Apple Ink is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:00 PM   #15
Eraserhead
macrumors G4
 
Eraserhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBanger View Post
It's worth pointing out that Apple has been popular with students for a number of years whilst their corporate market share has remained small, mainly because they're different markets.
At Warwick Macs have only become really noticeable on campus in the last year. Also on the iPhone Apple *has* got a lot of stuff right (at least with version 2.0) for corporate customers.
__________________
If they have to tell you every day they are fair you can bet they arent, if they tell you they are balanced then you should know they are not - Don't Hurt me
Eraserhead is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:15 PM   #16
impierced
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippen Man View Post
Comparing Mac OS X Leopard to Vista...business? Why would they choose that one? It's a known fact that corporations don't just jump on a new OS, especially a Microsoft one. But why Business? How about Home Premium? The most default of all of the versions.
Don't know if I agree with you on that. Business was VERY quick to embrace XP, this just isn't the case with Vista. Perhaps many of us in IT understand why - it took XP a long time to get where it is now and it simply works rather well, I would rather wait until everyone else finds, reports, and ultimately has resolved the bugs that are in Vista.

Leopard will continue it's slow evolution into the business world, and when everyone realizes that Entourage is no Outlook things will go back to XP and by then perhaps Vista.

Apple doesn't have a prayer in the business world until there's a solid Outlook client for the Mac. Unless Apple creates a skunkworks project or a stealth company to create one, they just aren't going to penetrate very far into corporate america.
impierced is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:19 PM   #17
Eraserhead
macrumors G4
 
Eraserhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by impierced View Post
Apple doesn't have a prayer in the business world until there's a solid Outlook client for the Mac. Unless Apple creates a skunkworks project or a stealth company to create one, they just aren't going to penetrate very far into corporate america.
Which is why Apple have just licensed exchange.
__________________
If they have to tell you every day they are fair you can bet they arent, if they tell you they are balanced then you should know they are not - Don't Hurt me

Last edited by Eraserhead; Mar 27, 2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: trolling is bad, even if its true
Eraserhead is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:28 PM   #18
impierced
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Which is why Apple have just licensed exchange.
No, they licensed Active Sync for the iPhone, which gives the iPhone a HUGE corporate push, but does nothing for the desktop application.
impierced is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:31 PM   #19
Eraserhead
macrumors G4
 
Eraserhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by impierced View Post
No, they licensed Active Sync for the iPhone, which gives the iPhone a HUGE corporate push, but does nothing for the desktop application.
I bet they licensed it for the desktop too .
__________________
If they have to tell you every day they are fair you can bet they arent, if they tell you they are balanced then you should know they are not - Don't Hurt me
Eraserhead is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:55 PM   #20
winmacguy
macrumors 68020
 
winmacguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
XP did do pretty well though, 40% isn't bad compared to OS X's 52%. They aren't completely fawning though, they wrote this .
=
Very worth while reading in that article ... despite the headline I use it for reference quite a lot.
__________________
With Windows iWork, with Apple iCreate
winmacguy is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:55 PM   #21
nagromme
macrumors G4
 
nagromme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBanger View Post
Except no-one is migrating from XP yet because it works and they don't have to. Don't get me wrong, but the chance of a large portion of corporate users migrating to OSX is zero. What's far more likely is that they'll stick with XP until either Vista becomes more appealing or Windows 7 comes out.
What has happened in the past is NOT a certain indication of what will happen in the future. Change truly does happen--slowly or quickly. And the Mac situation today is NOT the same as it has ever been before. Interest from young people was there before, but NOT as much as now. (Some recent commentary pointed out that Linux gained its enterprise foothold when its young developers left school and entered the workforce, bringing their platform preference and trust with them.) And PowerPC Macs vs. XP is a different story from Intel Macs vs. Vista, in a lot of ways.

So anyone who looks at the past and expects that Microsoft's near-total enterprise dominance and Apple's total absence won't change, is seeing trends by looking at outdated info. A large fraction of corporate users could be on Mac sooner than you think. It's no sure bet--but it's definitely not zero.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:49 PM   #22
killerrobot
macrumors 68020
 
killerrobot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 127.0.0.1
So, appearantly drubs IS a real word. Therefore Leopard "thrashes Vista with a stick"? Seriously, who says that, confused Leopard users wanting to switch to Vista?

I can't wait for the next poll of meaningless people and numbers to show that George W Bush will most likely be using a Mac at the White House because all the corporate people are using them now.
killerrobot is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2008, 01:29 AM   #23
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerrobot View Post
So, appearantly drubs IS a real word. Therefore Leopard "thrashes Vista with a stick"? Seriously, who says that, confused Leopard users wanting to switch to Vista?
"Drubs" is pretty common, especially in headlines ('cause it's nice and short), and means "to defeat thoroughly" in an informal context.

--Eric

Last edited by Doctor Q; Mar 29, 2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: off-topic
Eric5h5 is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2008, 01:53 AM   #24
x86isslow
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerrobot View Post
I can't wait for the next poll of meaningless people and numbers to show that George W Bush will most likely be using a Mac at the White House because all the corporate people are using them now.
Bush is a total  fanboi, has an iPod http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4435639.stm, and uses a Mac . Not sure what corporate users have to do with itů
x86isslow is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2008, 03:37 AM   #25
BongoBanger
macrumors 68000
 
BongoBanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
At Warwick Macs have only become really noticeable on campus in the last year. Also on the iPhone Apple *has* got a lot of stuff right (at least with version 2.0) for corporate customers.
True, but that's not the same as desktop based corporate systems. Apple may make some inroads but there are just to many blockers in the form of integration, partnership agreements, freedom of hardware selection, etc to see them go large scale.

Now if they were to release OSX to third parties...
BongoBanger is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Regains Lead in Latest J.D. Power Tablet Customer Satisfaction Survey MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 34 May 10, 2014 08:06 AM
Samsung Tops Apple in Latest J.D. Power Tablet Customer Satisfaction Survey MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 177 Nov 6, 2013 06:17 PM
iPhone 5 Topped by Galaxy S3 in Latest Customer Satisfaction Survey MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 95 Aug 3, 2013 09:55 AM
New iMac satisfaction Dave26 iMac 24 Jan 9, 2013 03:05 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC