Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScKaSx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a FREE way to have Safari download files to folders by date in the directory /John/Downloads. I know Saft would do this brilliantly, but since I'm cheap I prefer not to buy that.

Curiously, Safari has always done this for me by default. I changed the location of downloads to /John/Downloads and as long as I remember it has separated downloads in folders by date. However, I recently was working on a friends computer and noticed that on his it would dump all the files into Downloads as opposed to folders by date.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Cheers,
ScKaSx

iPoodOverZune

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
LOST
Dated subfolders in Safari download

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a FREE way to have Safari download files to folders by date in the directory /John/Downloads. I know Saft would do this brilliantly, but since I'm cheap I prefer not to buy that.

Curiously, Safari has always done this for me by default. I changed the location of downloads to /John/Downloads and as long as I remember it has separated downloads in folders by date. However, I recently was working on a friends computer and noticed that on his it would dump all the files into Downloads as opposed to folders by date.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Cheers,
ScKaSx

Hey even I seem to have forgotten how to set these dated folders. Actually, I have the download folder with dated sub-folder. Now on this computer, I installed leopard and updated and does not seem to have the dated folder thing. I don't seem to remember if I downloaded any application to manage this or if it is a feature of Safari now.

Can somebody illuminate me on this?

millca

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2011
Does anyone know which app creates dated download folders?

Hey even I seem to have forgotten how to set these dated folders. Actually, I have the download folder with dated sub-folder. Now on this computer, I installed leopard and updated and does not seem to have the dated folder thing. I don't seem to remember if I downloaded any application to manage this or if it is a feature of Safari now.

Can somebody illuminate me on this?

I have this same question. I had to replace my HD and now my iMac no longer makes dated folders within my Downloads folder. I really want this functionality back. I thought it was a feature of Default Folder X but it isn't.

Please help. I've Googled it but still haven't found it -- but I did find this forum.

Thanks!
Christi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.