Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Mar 28, 2008, 04:56 AM   #1
cudo
macrumors regular

How to restore my macbook to its orginal settings ?

hi, i need to sell my macbook and want ot restore it to its orginal setting and wipe all the date i store. how do i do it ? and one more thing i got no CDs on me at the moment. can i do it without CDs ?

cudo
Old Mar 28, 2008, 06:11 AM   #2
myuserid08
macrumors 6502

Yes, you need the restore CD's. Have a look on eBay for tiger/leopard whichever your using.
myuserid08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 06:27 AM   #3
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudo View Post
hi, i need to sell my macbook and want ot restore it to its orginal setting and wipe all the date i store. how do i do it ? and one more thing i got no CDs on me at the moment. can i do it without CDs ?

cudo
You'll need the original CDs to restore to the original state, with all your user data gone and all the iLife applications still there.

You should be reasonably safe if you delete the contents of your home directory, empty the trash, then start Disk Utility, and find the option to erase all unused hard drive space to zeroes. On the other hand, the buyer might not be too happy about buying without the original CDs.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 08:22 AM   #4
krye
macrumors 68000

Setup a new user account called Administrator w/o a password. Log in, and go to System Preferences. Delete your old user account. That's it. Just inform the buyer that the login is "Administrator" w/o a password so they can login and set up their own account;.

You don't really need to reinstall OSX. Besides, the new owner might just go out and buy Leopard anyway.
krye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 08:26 AM   #5
priller
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by krye View Post
Setup a new user account called Administrator w/o a password. Log in, and go to System Preferences. Delete your old user account. That's it.
Your data can still be recovered if it isn't overwritten.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:40 AM   #6
MacDaddy08
macrumors regular

You best bet it to do a complete format and reinstall in order to confirm all your data is erased. Without the CDs you will basically have to backup all your data to an external drive, delete anything and everything personal. All documents, all the application stores in the library and empty your trash. Even after you do all that, there is still the possibility of someone recovering your data. You really need some install CDs. Or just take out the hard drive and sell it without a hard drive or OS.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook