Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
My 667 DVI tibook's fan has been going crazy, kicking in and out off hi speed, and making a terrible buzzing sound at times....it hasn't been moved or anything recently, just sitting on my desk...what shouldi do?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Re: TiBook fan going pyscho

Originally posted by tpjunkie
My 667 DVI tibook's fan has been going crazy, kicking in and out off hi speed, and making a terrible buzzing sound at times....it hasn't been moved or anything recently, just sitting on my desk...what shouldi do?

-tpjunkie

Could be dust buildup. Blast it out. :D

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
Hey, I tried doing that, and while i didn't see anything come out, it seems a hell of a lot quieter now. Thanks!

wr0x2

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2003
I've sprayed canned air upside down on an overclocked 2500+ heatsink, but the results weren't stellar.

I should blow my TIbook out, the fan is loud and starts too often.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Originally posted by wr0x2
I should blow my TIbook...

Nah, I won't even say it....:D

I like to give my TiBook a good cleaning, usually around the time of a software update that requires a restart, since that's the only time my 'book is ever off. It's nice to have an iClear kit around, as well as canned air. I still need to get one of those little vacuums that techies use to suck instead of blow....;)

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by beefcake
What I really wanted to know was where to blast it. Intake on the side? below the keyboard?

-beefcake

Yes.

:D

Everywhere. But be sure to blast the fan. The way that PB fans work is by exhaust, not intake. By blasting the fan itself, you force it to sin in the opposite direction, and therefore get behind the gunk. But also be sure to blast the intakes after - you don't want to leave that gunk inside your machine.

leet1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Originally posted by stoid
What is the proper way to 'blast' a new 15 inch AluBook??

dynamite.gif

lol :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.