Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrossHairSB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I was messing around earlier with ibrickr or whatever and lossed everything. I mean I was able to do a restore back to the initial settings but sure wish I had everyone's phone number. From now on I'm going to have to learn how to run a backup from time to time so that this doesn't happen again. How bout this, what steps do you take to prevent losing all your 3rd party aps, phone numbers, pictures etc...? Besides fiddling with programs that you know nothing about lol.
Thanks guys,
Ken

CrossHairSB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
well I noticed that and then manually synced but it gave me old numbers... not all the recent ones I had in my phone. And what about all the 3rd party apps on my phone, they aren't kept somewhere on itunes? Man I completely screwed up and now have to really learn how to backup all my stuff. Thanks.
Ken

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
All iTunes does is backup contacts, recent and missed calls, SMS, Calendar, Stocks, Weather, clock and alarm settings and webclips. Any third party apps and gone if you have to restore and music and videos and photos will have to be synced back to the phone.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
well I noticed that and then manually synced but it gave me old numbers... not all the recent ones I had in my phone. And what about all the 3rd party apps on my phone, they aren't kept somewhere on itunes? Man I completely screwed up and now have to really learn how to backup all my stuff. Thanks.
Ken

Okay, first off:

Currently, third party apps are unsupported hacks, so no, iTunes doesn't do ANYTHING with them. All iTunes "backs up" are things that don't get synced, like notes and SMS texts.

Anything else (contacts, mail, calendar entries, bookmarks) is handled in Windows by the third party programs you've set up to sync with (via iTunes). If you only transferred the numbers to the phone and didn't set them to sync with those programs from then on, then those numbers are gone. Ideally what will happen is you set the phone up to sync with those programs, and then all changes (on either side) are vectored across appropriately.

iTunes itself handles all music/video/podcast/and photo syncing of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.