Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obelix112za

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Anyone knows if UT3 for Mac is out yet?

Can't find it anywhere on the www.

If so, where can you buy or preorder from?

I'm in Ireland.

Cheers

muymal

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2007
the version for mac doesn't exist yet, quake war has came out and cod4 is coming out in may. no clue if aspyr is going to port a mac version. crossover isn't supporting that game yet so only way so far is bootcamp if u must play it on a mac

evan g

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
you could also use bootcamp to run the windows version (i got a demo, but it was pretty glitchy...) it might just be my computer, but i think a pc demo should tide u over till the mac version comes out.

but if you don't want to wait, get a ps3 haha. dont need to worry about glitches, display issues, nothin. thats my plan of action. i'm just waiting on my paycheck

obelix112za

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Yeah thanx, there's definitely a Mac version early 2008. Type 'Buy Unreal Tournament 3 for Mac' into Yahoo or Google.

Some UK shops has it on pre order but don't ship to Ireland.

So...anyone knows where I can buy UT3 for Mac (I might be a bit hasty) or when it'll be out?

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I don't think it's out yet but you could always use bootcamp (or try that new Crossover Gaming) and play the PC version...

obelix112za

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Thanx everyone. No one seems to know anyway.

Why would you use Boot Camp for a game that your able to get for a Mac??? (even if it's a few months later).

Radio Monk33

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007

Why would you use Boot Camp for a game that your able to get for a Mac??? (even if it's a few months later).

Because that's the platform that the game was originally designed in, instead of an iffy port? Also, you can actually update your drivers on the PC side for better performance.

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
i'm with you obelix, the only way mac gaming is going to get better is if mac users support the people that release mac games.:apple:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Why would you want to be so valiant about such an issue? I played UT3 a while ago on PC and recently bought it (as part of the Unreal Pack on Steam) for £30. Tell me, is UT3 going to be £6 on the Mac? If not then screw it.

If Mac gaming wants to get better then these release windows need to be removed and drivers need to be updated often. Until then I'll play UT3 (or not, it isn't that good) on XP via Bootcamp.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006

Because you buy it for the actual game and it's not going to be any different on Mac than on PC, maybe that's why.

Oh no, scratch that, it's going to run much better and be more reliable on PC for the little time it takes you to reboot if even that, the game may actually work on Crossover Games.

It's just a game, once you open it and start playing it matters little to nothing which OS you are using, you can't even tell.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
It's just a game, once you open it and start playing it matters little to nothing which OS you are using, you can't even tell.

Sometimes you can. PC version runs better and sometims supports more features.

But I'd prefer to run games in OS X, because its much more pleasant NOT to deal with Windows.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
I've been playing UT3 on my iMac via Bootcamp for quite a few weeks already. It runs good, but if past experience is anything to go by, then the Mac port is not going to run as well the PC version. Meaning I would be surprised if anything other than a MacPro with a decent video card (Ie, no entry level crap) is going to run it well enough to be playable.
Also, given how many bugs exist in the PC version still, im hardly surprised the Mac version is taking so long to produce.

Great game though :)

enigmatut

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
MA
update?

Anyone heard any updates on this? I'm still not seeing anything other than "will be released 'early 2008'", which didn't seem to happen (unless you still consider May to be "early 2008")...

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Anyone heard any updates on this? I'm still not seeing anything other than "will be released 'early 2008'", which didn't seem to happen (unless you still consider May to be "early 2008")...

They said "Spring 2008" and spring isnt over yet...

Radio Monk33

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
I've been playing UT3 on my iMac via Bootcamp for quite a few weeks already. It runs good, but if past experience is anything to go by, then the Mac port is not going to run as well the PC version. Meaning I would be surprised if anything other than a MacPro with a decent video card (Ie, no entry level crap) is going to run it well enough to be playable.
Also, given how many bugs exist in the PC version still, im hardly surprised the Mac version is taking so long to produce.

Great game though :)

I haven't noticed any bugs? Either way, any fixes will get fixed on the PC side far earlier than the Mac port..won't be fun waiting for patches.

Oh and another reason for PC side gaming is the ability to overclock. ;)

DouglasP

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
This subject got a little touchy. I myself only buy a game ported for the Mac so I can support the ones who did the port. The more they make, the more apt they will be to keep porting new games. But that's just me, I can see people dual booting for games as I've done it a few times myself.

mdmonk

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2008
Denver, CO
No more Windows for me

I've given up MS Windows. It is no longer in my house (my wife just took over ownership of my Powerbook G4). So, I am not going to install Windows just for a game (even though it's UT3). I've become a dedicated Mac user, and so have many others; so my question is why can't they release games for both (major) platforms within a reasonable period of time? Blizzard releases their games to work on both PC and Mac; same install media. Why can't other game developer companies do the same?

-MdMonk

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I've given up MS Windows. It is no longer in my house (my wife just took over ownership of my Powerbook G4). So, I am not going to install Windows just for a game (even though it's UT3). I've become a dedicated Mac user, and so have many others; so my question is why can't they release games for both (major) platforms within a reasonable period of time? Blizzard releases their games to work on both PC and Mac; same install media. Why can't other game developer companies do the same?

-MdMonk

They dont consider Mac gaming market to be big enough to bother.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
They dont consider Mac gaming market to be big enough to bother.
Almost a self fullfilling prophecy if you will, The hardware is the same so it must be software issues. Anyways Im through with Windows at least at home. Ill wait and if it takes another few months it takes a few months this Mac is running Mac.:apple:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Really? I'm running it on my 2ghz C2D 1gb ram iMac and it rarely dips below 30fps. Though I'm not running it at native res.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Middleware (physics engines, multiplayer services, etc.) is another issue affecting some games--UT3 being one of them, IIRC.

Some middleware companies charge Mac publishers amounts that are ENORMOUS considering the small (compared to Windows) size of the Mac market. That makes those games riskier to sell for Mac (because porting costs money) and prevents Mac games from dropping in price as much as older PC titles do.

There are certainly games that would have come to Mac but never made it to market just because some middleware was too expensive for anyone but a Windows publisher to afford. (Linux gamers face the same issues.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.