Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I wonder if anyone has played Colin McRae DIRT on a Mac Pro '08 with the nVidia Geforce 8800 GT....
Mine very annoyingly crashes every time I want to start a new game! :(

I have tried everything I can think of to get this game to work but to no avail... and I really hope someone can help me out. :(

My hardware:

Mac Pro (early 2008) 8 x 2.8 GHz
4 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 8800 GT
Logitech MOMO FF wheel
... all latest Apple software and firmware updates have been applied too.

Windows:

Used a 2nd internal HD, and partitioned that drive in 2:
- Windows XP Pro 32 bits SP 2, all updates, Boot Camp drivers and latest nVidia and Logitech MOMO drivers.
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bits SP 1, all updates, Boot Camp drivers and latest nVidia and Logitech MOMO drivers.

Therefore I have a Windows Dual Boot situation, done specifically for gaming purposes (i.e. Win XP for older games, and Vista for the latest and gr8test)

Colin McRae DIRT:

Bought it today, and have tried everything I can think of...
Installed, 1.0 and crashed... updated to 1.1 and crashed... and updated to 1.2 and yep... crashed too...
All versions crash at the same time in the game... Every time I want to start a race (in every "mode"), Windows then alerts me of the crash, and immediately terminates DIRT.exe... both Vista and XP. :mad:
I have tried high and low video settings, tried low software enabled audio, and OpenAL.... NOTHING...! :(
I have even downloaded another copy from Usenet as I started to distrust my just purchased Retail DVD. I have also downloaded no-DVD patches.... the lot.

I am at a dead end.
I start to believe maybe some hardware config of the '08 Mac Pro (Hapertown CPU...or, this version of the 8800 GT.. or something) maybe the culprit.

So, I simply wonder if anyone has it running on similar hardware, and if so, did you run into similar troubles and have found out what to do..?

All other games work perfectly BTW.

Tnx for any replies.

jonnyr78

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
Hi,

I;ve tried the game in XP, Vist (both x32 and x64) and I have the same problem. Only difference here is that I'm running the HD2600, but still, crashes when the game loads a 'level'.

Had any luck?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Tnx for you reply, jonnyr78!

I was starting to think I was the only one ever who wanted to play DiRT on an '08 Mac Pro... :eek:

Tried the following last night:
- Reinstalled Vista (format and new install), but this time the Ultimate 32 bits version.
- Done the Boot Camp drivers install from my Mac Pro restore DVD
- Installed all updates
- Installed the official SP 1 update (>> finally gave me my 4 GB RAM in 32 bits mode!!)
- Installed the latest Beta drivers of the 8800 GT card from nVidia's site

This time I didn't install my Logitech MOMO drivers, and didn't even bother to connect it either.
Then installed the game again off my retail DVD.

Started it...
Configured my grfx...
Chose a game...
.... and crashed again....! Same crash, same error.

I am getting a bit.. well.. irritable. :(

We have two chances left:
1) Win XP SP 3
2) the just available Boot Camp updates!

I'll be trying the no. 2 option tomorrow evening...

jonnyr78

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
Hey,

Yup, it's nice to know I'm not struggling on my own!:cool:

I really don't know what this is - I only found out your post after spending three (!) hours thinking of all sorts of combos of searches in google to find someone whole replicated the same thing. It took me so long because there are loads of problems with 'dirt'. It must be something beyond the graphics card though as I;m having the same crash with an 2600HD again in xp and vista and x32 and x64 versions of both.

Sooo...for now I'm stuck. The only thing I an think it that it's something to do with the Xenon, but that's a bit beyond me. Fingers crossed for the bootcamp update...

Jonny (you can drop the 78;))

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
It must be something beyond the graphics card though as I;m having the same crash with an 2600HD again in xp and vista and x32 and x64 versions of both.

Sooo...for now I'm stuck. The only thing I an think it that it's something to do with the Xenon, but that's a bit beyond me. Fingers crossed for the bootcamp update...

Jonny (you can drop the 78;))

I'm pretty sure you're right about it not being a grfx card issue...

Update on my situation:
I have installed the Boot Camp 2.1 update on Windows XP SP 2. Rebooted, and now Windows couldn't find my GeForce 8800 driver... :rolleyes:
So, I manually downloaded the latest nVidia Beta drivers and installed them.

All seems well, so I decided to give DiRT another try....
NOPE! :mad: Same crash, same error message.... getting fed up now.

I still can't find out what it is precisely. Googling on "crash and DiRT" gives you tons of hits: mostly YouTube movies of gr8 fun car "crashes" during gameplay. :p

Crap. I really wanted to play this game...:(

DualShock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Hi there,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. :D

I am having the same problems you guys seem to be having with this game. Every time I choose my settings on the menu, the game crashes right before the race starts. Good thing I came across this thread; I was almost going to buy the GeForce 8800 GT upgrade for my Mac Pro (Early 2008) to try to get this game working.

At first I thought it was a problem with the ATI drivers and/or the stock 2600XT card, because of this KB article at AMD's site that seems to indicate this is a known driver issue.

Seems this is more than that though.

Have you guys tried any more things to get this game to run?

On a side note, a colleague of mine has the original Mac Pro with dual dual-core Xeons @ 3 GHz, and he says he has no problems running this game, both with his old ATI X1900 card, and the GeForce 8800 GT. Go figure huh?

On another side note, I have gotten the GRiD demo to work on my machine @ 1900 x 1200, but only with the graphics settings set way down. Otherwise, it would go through that part, after choosing your race settings, where your racing stats fly across the screen before an actual race starts, and endlessly loop and never get to the race. I believe these 2 games use similar game engines, so it's kinda weird that GRiD works but DiRT doesn't. :confused:

jonnyr78

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
Hi!

I've figured it out both for Dirt and Grid *and BOY to they run fast when they work properly ;) I can run grid at 1920 x 1600 and everything on full with an 8600.

OK, so how do you fix them? Errr, you'll have to give me a few hours as I don't have the actual instructions with me (sorry!), but basically their are two .xml settings files in each of the dirt and grid directories, and if you edit them you can remove their ability to use 8 cores (so the games run on four or two). It makes no difference to performance (as I said my version of Grid now looks better than the ps3 one).

One way to find it if you can't wait for me is to go to the Codemastes support forum and search for '8 cores'. THAT's the problem - the dirt and grid graphics engines don't seem to like 8 cores and someone else with the same problem told me about the 'edit file' fix. If I can't find the instructions I'll post my own /xml config files and it should solve your problems.

I'm in the UK, so I'l' be home from work about 5.30 GMT so I'll reply properly then.

DualShock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Hi!

I've figured it out both for Dirt and Grid *and BOY to they run fast when they work properly ;) I can run grid at 1920 x 1600 and everything on full with an 8600.

OK, so how do you fix them? Errr, you'll have to give me a few hours as I don't have the actual instructions with me (sorry!), but basically their are two .xml settings files in each of the dirt and grid directories, and if you edit them you can remove their ability to use 8 cores (so the games run on four or two). It makes no difference to performance (as I said my version of Grid now looks better than the ps3 one).

One way to find it if you can't wait for me is to go to the Codemastes support forum and search for '8 cores'. THAT's the problem - the dirt and grid graphics engines don't seem to like 8 cores and someone else with the same problem told me about the 'edit file' fix. If I can't find the instructions I'll post my own /xml config files and it should solve your problems.

I'm in the UK, so I'l' be home from work about 5.30 GMT so I'll reply properly then.

omg omg omg! That fix totally works! Thanks! :D

No wonder why the game works on my colleague's Mac Pro. He's got the 2x dual core model.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
YES!!! Got it working!! :eek:

Tnx to jonnyr78 for leading me to it :)

I give you the "workaround" I found.
It is not for DiRT but for Grid, but the same principle works:

PROBLEM -

Grid will not start when using 8 cores (2 quad core processors), The game just sits at "Loading...Please Wait"

TEMPORARY SOLUTION UNTIL FIX IS INCLUDED IN PATCH -

Quote:
[1]

Go into the following folder :

[Standalone Game (using disk)]

32 bit - C:\Program Files\Codemasters\Grid\system
64 bit - C:\Program Files (x86)\Codemasters\Grid\system

[Steam Version (no disk)]

32 bit - C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\grid\system
64 bit - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\grid\system

Quote:
[2]

Open the following file using Notepad or some other text editor :

hardware_settings_restrictions.xml

(If you wish you can copy the file and back it up first)

Quote:
[3]

Change the line with the following start :

<restrict_if name="cores" op="int_ge" value="8">

to match the contents of the line above so you end up with the following :

Quote:
<restrict_if name="cores" op="int_eq" value="8">
<restrict_add>
<threadStrategy parallelUpdateRender="true" workerMapFile="system/workerMap4Core.xml" forceFeedbackProcessor="3" dvdStorageProcessor="3" dataSetMonitorProcessor="1" renderProcessor="0" updateProcessor="2" fileStreamProcessor="3" />
</restrict_add>
</restrict_if>

Quote:
[4]

Launch the game again, the game will now only run on 4 cores but it will run. Hopefully a fix for this is forthcoming.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Just use the exact amount of the line above, not the amounts mentions in the quote.

[3]

Change the line with the following start :

to match the contents of the line above so you end up with the following :

Quote:
<restrict_if name="cores" op="int_eq" value="8">
<restrict_add>
<threadStrategy parallelUpdateRender="true" workerMapFile="system/workerMap4Core.xml" forceFeedbackProcessor="3" dvdStorageProcessor="3" dataSetMonitorProcessor="1" renderProcessor="0" updateProcessor="2" fileStreamProcessor="3" />
</restrict_add>
</restrict_if>

Attached is my working "hardware_settings_restrictions.xml" file.
You can download this and copy into your \DiRT\system\ directory.

Attachments

• in DiRT-system.zip
    2 KB · Views: 1,393

enoughsaid

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
greece
dirt not working with mac book pro

thanx for the solution but it doesnt work either ,i copied all instances from your "working xml" line by line to the xml in my dirt directory but when i try to launch the game after checking the disks i get the "Dirt.exe encountered a problem and need to close" error my mac pro
any ideas???

Thank you

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Did you copy the xml file to your /DiRT/System/ directory?
I do think this .xml file only works with the 8-Core machines, maybe only the Mac Pro '08 model. 4-Cores or less, all seem to work fine with the default xml file.
If you do have an 8-Core Mac, and the xml file doesn't work for you, the essence of this editing is that the line which represents "value=8" is an exact copy of the line "value=4".
So, only edit the line after "value=8", matching the value=4.
In essence you are telling the game to do the actions which are made for 8-Core machines similar to the 4-Core machines. Somehow the pre-fabbed 8-Core actions don't seem to work well...

BTW..
I have also installed a couple of other racing games!! :)

- NFS Pro Street
- Colin McRae GRID

NFS Pro Street seems to work fine (with the no-DVD fix) if it's running version 1.0. The 1.1 update (with and without the no-DVD patch) seems to make this game crash on my Mac Pro running XP SP3. Not a bad at all.. but no match to..:

Colin McRae GRID is absolutely awesome!!
After installing, and applying the 1.2 update (and no-DVD fix ;)..) this game needed no modifications at all. So it seems to work well with this 8-Core Mac :)
I had to manually set the grfx to all max (all of 'em.. took some time, as every setting was set to low by default...) @ 1920 x 1200 rez, an OMG!! what a gr8 looking fun racing game it is..!
Even better than DiRT!

Demolition Derby is unbelievably fun.. wow... still got a grin on my face... :p
Bouncing around San Francisco in my BMW is so gr8 too...! :cool:
:apple:

enoughsaid

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
greece
thank you very much for your response
My machine is 8-core MacPro, bootcamp, windows xp pro sp2
When i opened the xml i found many instances (2)
with the same values.
Can you please tell me exactly how to edit it? i would be grateful.
And yes the xml is in the dirt/system directory .
Thanx for the tip i'll try GRID but first i want to play this game that i paid 50euro for, and i still (2weeks) havent touched it.

thanx again

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Sure. This is what I did:

First. Make a backup of the original hardware_settings_restrictions.xml file!!

Then:

- Open that file using Notepad (right-click, and select Open with...)

- Find this bit: <restrict_if name="cores" op="int_ge" value="8">
>this part is where you tell DiRT what to do/restrict when it finds your 8 Cores

- Then look at the line just below it (2 lines under): <threadStrategy parallelUpdateRender="true" ....

- Make sure you edit that line EXACTLY as the similar line which is used just above, for use for the 4-Cores.
That should read thus:
<threadStrategy parallelUpdateRender="true" workerMapFile="system/workerMap4Core.xml" forceFeedbackProcessor="3" dvdStorageProcessor="3" dataSetMonitorProcessor="3" renderProcessor="0" updateProcessor="2" fileStreamProcessor="3" />

And you're done :)

It works on my following Mac:
- Mac Pro '08, 8 x 2.8 GHz
- GeForce 8800 GT
- 8 GB RAM
- Windows XP Pro SP3 (only 2 GB RAM used/seen)
- Latest nVidia Drivers (both the 175.16, and 175.19 drivers work fine)
- Done the DiRT 1.21 Patch.exe, found here
- Also done the no-DVD fix, because I hate inserting the DVD every time..:mad: (can find it by Googling to something like Game Copy World....)

Good luck, and have fun!
:)

enoughsaid

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
greece
Thank you very much for your time, unfortunately i cant get this game to play
i did everything you told me to do and still no luck .If it is not much to ask i'm giving you my altered xml so you can see what i've done and my system info
just in case i'm not doing something right.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<hardware_settings_restrictions>

<cpu>
<restrict_info>
<restrict_if name="cores" op="int_eq" value="2">
<restrict_add>
<threadStrategy parallelUpdateRender="true" workerMapFile="system/workerMap2Core.xml" forceFeedbackProcessor="1" dvdStorageProcessor="1" dataSetMonitorProcessor="1" renderProcessor="0" updateProcessor="1" fileStreamProcessor="1" />
</restrict_add>
</restrict_if>
<restrict_if name="cores" op="int_eq" value="4">
<restrict_add>
<threadStrategy parallelUpdateRender="true" workerMapFile="system/workerMap4Core.xml" forceFeedbackProcessor="3" dvdStorageProcessor="3" dataSetMonitorProcessor="3" renderProcessor="0" updateProcessor="2" fileStreamProcessor="3" />
</restrict_add>
</restrict_if>
<restrict_add>
</restrict_add>
</restrict_if>
<restrict_if name="hyperThreading" op="bo_eq" value="true">
<restrict_add>
<threadStrategy parallelUpdateRender="true" workerMapFile="system/workerMap2Core.xml" forceFeedbackProcessor="1" dvdStorageProcessor="1" dataSetMonitorProcessor="1" renderProcessor="0" updateProcessor="1" fileStreamProcessor="1" />
</restrict_add>
</restrict_if>
<restrict_else>
<restrict_add>
<threadStrategy parallelUpdateRender="false" workerMapFile="system/workerMap.xml" forceFeedbackProcessor="0" dvdStorageProcessor="0" dataSetMonitorProcessor="0" renderProcessor="0" updateProcessor="0" fileStreamProcessor="0" />
</restrict_add>
</restrict_else>
</restrict_info>
</cpu>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

and my system info is this txt file

i also sending you the windows error report on dirt.exe just in case.

------------------

Thank you for your time (if you cant bother to see all this data it's ok)

Attachments

• error_report.txt
    13.1 KB · Views: 257

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I can't find any differences..! :confused:

Let's get down to details then.
I see you own the same Mac, but here are some small differences:
- Windows SP 3 and you have SP 2
>> could it be that this games needs one or two SP2 updates? (not SP 3 necessarily, but maybe some other "minor" update..)
- I have the Soundblaster X-Fi PCIe card in it (can't imagine that this games needs such a sound card though...)
- You have also applied the 1.21 patch?

I have copied and pasted my whole hardware_settings_restrictions here (maybe you can find a difference then):

------------------------------------------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<hardware_settings_restrictions>

<cpu>
<restrict_info>
<restrict_if name="cores" op="int_eq" value="2">
<restrict_add>
</restrict_add>
</restrict_if>
<restrict_if name="cores" op="int_eq" value="4">
<restrict_add>
</restrict_add>
</restrict_if>
<restrict_add>
</restrict_add>
</restrict_if>
<restrict_if name="hyperThreading" op="bo_eq" value="true">
<restrict_add>
</restrict_add>
</restrict_if>
<restrict_else>
<restrict_add>
<threadStrategy parallelUpdateRender="false" workerMapFile="system/workerMap.xml" forceFeedbackProcessor="0" dvdStorageProcessor="0" dataSetMonitorProcessor="0" renderProcessor="0" updateProcessor="0" fileStreamProcessor="0" />
</restrict_add>
</restrict_else>
</restrict_info>
</cpu>

<audio_card>
<audio>
<restrict_set name="mixing" default="software">
<allowed value="creative" />
<allowed value="software" />
<allowed value="default" />
</restrict_set>
<restrict_set name="reverbs" default="1">
<allowed value="0" />
<allowed value="1" />
<allowed value="2" />
</restrict_set>
<restrict_set name="voices" default="40">
<allowed value="40" />
<allowed value="50" />
<allowed value="60" />
<allowed value="70" />
<allowed value="80" />
<allowed value="creative" />
<allowed value="default" />
</restrict_set>
</audio>
</audio_card>

<graphics_card>

<resolution>
<restrict_logical>
<restrict_if name="width" op="int_le" value="639">
<restrict_set name="width" default="640" />
<restrict_set name="height" default="480" />
</restrict_if>
<restrict_if name="height" op="int_le" value="479">
<restrict_set name="width" default="640" />
<restrict_set name="height" default="480" />
</restrict_if>
</restrict_logical>

<restrict_set name="aspect" default="normal">
<allowed value="4:3" />
<allowed value="5:4" />
<allowed value="16:9" />
<allowed value="16:10" />
</restrict_set>

</resolution>

<multisampling>
<backbuffer>
<restrict_set name="level" default="4">
<allowed value="0" />
<allowed value="2" />
<allowed value="8" />
<allowed value="16" />
</restrict_set>
</backbuffer>
<colour_target>
<restrict_set name="level" default="4">
<allowed value="0" />
<allowed value="2" />
<allowed value="8" />
<allowed value="16" />
</restrict_set>
</colour_target>
<minimap>
<restrict_set name="level" default="0">
<allowed value="2" />
<allowed value="4" />
<allowed value="8" />
<allowed value="16" />
</restrict_set>
</minimap>
<codriver_icon>
<allowed value="2" />
<allowed value="4" />
<allowed value="5" />
<allowed value="6" />
<allowed value="8" />
<allowed value="16" />
</restrict_set>
</codriver_icon>
<dynamic_envmap>
<allowed value="2" />
<allowed value="4" />
<allowed value="8" />
<allowed value="16" />
</restrict_set>
</dynamic_envmap>
<static_envmap>
<allowed value="2" />
<allowed value="4" />
<allowed value="5" />
<allowed value="6" />
<allowed value="8" />
<allowed value="16" />
</restrict_set>
</static_envmap>
<rear_view_mirror>
<allowed value="2" />
<allowed value="4" />
<allowed value="8" />
<allowed value="16" />
</restrict_set>
</rear_view_mirror>
</multisampling>

<gamma>
<restrict_float_range name="level" default="1.0" min="0.5" max="2.5" />
</gamma>

<textures>
<restrict_int_range name="lod" default="0" min="0" />
</textures>

</graphics_card>

<shadows>
<restrict_set name="size" default="1024">
<allowed value="128" />
<allowed value="256" />
<allowed value="512" />
<allowed value="1024" />
<allowed value="1536" />
<allowed value="2048" />
<allowed value="4096" />
</restrict_set>
<restrict_int_range name="maskQuality" default="2" min="0" max="2" />
</shadows>

<groundcover>
<restrict_int_range name="layers" default="4" min="1" max="4" />
</groundcover>

<crowd>
<restrict_int_range name="lodQuality" default="2" min="0" max="2" />
<restrict_bool name="enabled" default="true" />
</crowd>

<particles>
<restrict_int_range name="max" default="3000" min="250" max="6000" />
<restrict_bool name="enabled" default="true" />
<restrict_bool name="collisions" default="true" />
</particles>

<vehicles>
<restrict_int_range name="characterQuality" default="2" min="0" max="4" />
</vehicles>

<wind>
<restrict_bool name="particles" default="false" />
<restrict_bool name="groundcover" default="false" />
</wind>

</hardware_settings_restrictions>
------------------------------------------------------------------------

enoughsaid

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
greece
i've already (yesterday) installed SP3 and 1.2dirt patch, and the no-dvd patch,
and still nothing, i've tried to install the game in my mac book pro 07 and my home desktop pc and a friends pc laptop and .....nothing, is it possible to blame the original dvd??? i mean ..i know that weird things can happen with windows systems but this is without explanation.
thank you very much

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Whoa...!

If it can't run on any of those computers, it would seem something is wrong with the install DVD.
The chances of the game not running on either of the other computers are really small.
The only "serious issues" with this game I have found is the 8-Core debacle. Ofcourse there are always a few that can have a minor issue with some grfx card, or sound card, but those are isolated incidents where the player can play the game but with some small problem.

Yours simply won't run on any computer! And a known setup (mine and yours) does work if the xml file is adjusted properly, like you have done.

Can't you return it then, and swap it for another... or maybe even for Race Driver GRID?

EDIT: Just one more question.... Have you tried to play the game without the no-DVD fix? So, a clean install of the game, applied the 1.21 patch, and started it with the real DVD inserted?

enoughsaid

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
greece
yes i did tried every combination, and just now i'm taking the cd back to the shop to change it (probably for Grid, thanx)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.