Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bigloue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
OK - I want to purchase a new Mac Pro 2.8Ghz (8-core) with the GeForce 8800 card.

I looked at the Apple Cinema HD 23" and 30" displays I was not impressed, let alone when your consider the price of the Apple monitors. Any rumors about new monitors by Apple, their current line-up is pretty dated.

Also other recommendations? Dell, etc..

One other question, if I will use this machine also for gaming, should I go with two 22" to 24" monitors versus one 30"?

Many Thanks,

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Gaming on two monitors? That's a little... difficult for FPS and RPGs, isn't it?

I have two Soyo DYLM24D6 displays that I haven't had a chance to use. Ever. Since I don't have my Mac Pro yet. They're great displays; no dead pixels, nice color gamut, etc...

I can't wait for my 3840x1200 pixels of desktop goodness.

Bigloue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
I researched the Soyo DYLM24D6 monitors the reviews were not good.

I am now leaning towards the Gateway XHD3000

maccanuck2006

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2006
Vancouver Canada
I have been very happy with my Samsung 275T 27" monitor, although it needed some calibration out of the box. Price was excellent (~$900 CDN academic pricing). It uses a PVA panel instead of the more expensive S-IPS panels in the ACDs.

burningrave101

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I would just go with a 24" since that's plenty big for gaming. The Dell 2408fpw would be a good option. I'm not sure what panel that newer Dell uses though so whatever you get I would look into getting an S-IPS if you can or at least PVA. Don't bother with anything that uses a TN panel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.