Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Mar 29, 2008, 09:55 PM   #1
groundstrike
macrumors newbie

Airport Extreme Base: Block ICMP

Alot of home router have the option to block ICMP traffic from the WAN. I can't seem to find this with the Airport Extreme Base Station. Using Gibson Research Corporation's Shields Up! I get the following messages:
Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) As detailed in the port report below, one or more of your system's ports actively responded to our deliberate attempts to establish a connection.
Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet.
All other ports scanned came back with:
Closed - Your computer has responded that this port exists but is currently closed to connections.
or
Stealth - There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!
I'm no network guru, but shouldn't all port scan attempts come back as stealth? Shouldn't the router not respond to Pings on the WAN side?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 02:30 PM   #2
kbmb
macrumors 68030

I'm just learning that no Apple router gives the option to stealth the ports on the WAN side, or to block ICMP requests.

Seems odd to me that Apple doesn't do this as just about every router has been doing this for ages!

Do people not see this as an issue?

-Kevin
Old Apr 2, 2008, 03:41 PM   #3
macleod199
macrumors 6502

Apple seems more interested in enabling services via e.g. Wide Area Bonjour, than they are in making your connection invisible. One doesn't necessarily need to be invisible to be secure, you know.
macleod199 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 04:16 PM   #4
ChrisA
macrumors G4

If you don't want your router to answer pings maybe port forwarding would help. Forward the ping to some IP address that does not exist on your network. This is a guess. I give it a 50% chance
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 04:36 PM   #5
bstreiff
macrumors regular

Blocking all ICMP can cause problems, as well. When I lived in the dorms at my college, if you blocked all ICMP packets, the resnet system would actually disable your port if you blocked them (since from its point of view, nobody was using it!)

What's funny is that they recommended you use Symantec's firewall product on Windows, which would detect the 'are you still there?' checks as portscans and highly recommend you block them. I had to help quite a few people in whitelisting it.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 09:39 PM   #6
StandardPerson
macrumors newbie

Dropping ping responses does not make your connection invisible. See, for example, the explanation given here.
StandardPerson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:20 PM   #7
trifero
macrumors member

Nice
trifero is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals