Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 31, 2008, 05:18 PM   #26
misterredman
macrumors 6502a
 
misterredman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12 View Post
I stand corrected.
I thought I read on the HP spec site that this printer had wireless network capabilities. Oh well, good luck OP.
In fact, HP offers the wireless kit as an option for the 1400 series!
misterredman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 05:32 PM   #27
Kwill
macrumors 68000
 
Kwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
USB, AppleTalk, and Bonjour drivers for the same device differ.

I currently have 6 different printers available from an Ethernet hub or wirelessly via AirPort.
  • Brother MFC-8860DN (USB2, Bonjour, EN T-10/100)
  • HP Designjet Z3100GX PS (USB2, Bonjour, EN T-10/100/1000)
  • HP Designjet 5000 (USB, AppleTalk, Bonjour, EN T-10/100)
  • HP 1700C (USB, AppleTalk, Bonjour, EN T-10/100)
  • Xerox Phaser 7750GX (USB, AppleTalk, Bonjour, EN T-10/100)
  • Xerox Phaser 8550DP (USB, AppleTalk, Bonjour, EN T-10/100)
If I add a printer to the list for USB, a separate "printer" must be added for Bonjour (I make a distinction in the printer name). It sounds like you have a driver for USB but not no network driver. Perhaps another is available from HP. Inasmuch as I do not have your specific model, I cannot provide specific instructions other than it sounds like a driver issue.
Kwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 07:50 PM   #28
mferni
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I tried just about everything too, and could never get MAC OS X 10.5 to print to a USB connected printer on Windows XP.

This did work though:
http://iharder.sourceforge.net/curre...winmacprinter/

It takes a while to follow all the steps, but does work. Also, you might need to hunt and pick for the programs they say you need to download, helps if you are FTP literate.
mferni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 08:04 PM   #29
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
The OP's original point ("It just works? No!") still stands. It shouldn't need to be ridiculously complicated to just set up a printer. I'm in the same boat: A USB printer that I need to access from Mac and Windows systems. With it shared from Windows the driver is MIA on the Mac side. When connected to my AirPort base I can see it from my Mac but the Windows PCs will periodically decide that it doesn't exist anymore. Why does this need to be so complicated?
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:55 PM   #30
richard.mac
macrumors 603
 
richard.mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 51.50024, -0.12662
Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
The OP's original point ("It just works? No!") still stands. It shouldn't need to be ridiculously complicated to just set up a printer. I'm in the same boat: A USB printer that I need to access from Mac and Windows systems. With it shared from Windows the driver is MIA on the Mac side. When connected to my AirPort base I can see it from my Mac but the Windows PCs will periodically decide that it doesn't exist anymore. Why does this need to be so complicated?
if you had a windows PC sharing a printer to another windows PC it would be easy and vice versa a Mac sharing a printer to another Mac. sharing a printer over the network in a mixed OS environment complicates it. i agree adding a printer connected to a PC is too complicated and should be resolved. it took me way to long to figure it out but once you get it working it should stey hassle free.

i use a HP DeskJet connected to my PC and the only way i have found to connect to it by using the CUPS driver. but this means i cant use the printer features from HP's drivers like ink levels and draft printing. if i connect it by USB the driver loads automagically with ink levels and i can draft print. but i dont wont to do this as i have a MacBook just like the OP.

if its just a standard printer with no wireless card connected to a PC, to print from it wirelessly over the network on a Mac you have to use the CUPS driver.

the easiest way would be to plug the printer into an Airport Express/Airport Extreme Base Station or any other wireless router with a USB port or parallel port. the Mac would pick it up straight away using bonjour and the windows PC would be able to connect to it using Bonjour for windows. Apple documents how to do this here.

my advice to the OP would be to add the printer under "Windows" in the add printer window and use the CUPS driver either "HP DeskJet Series, 1.3", "HP LaserJet Series PCL 4/5, 1.3" or "Generic PostScript Printer, 1.3". to do this your Windows PC would have to show under "Shared" in the Finder so make sure it does. make sure you add the Unix print services on the PC following this guide under "I want to connect the printer to my PC". or if that doesnt work use the old school CUPS method of using the browser in the same guide.
__________________
If you can't innovate, you just imitate, but it's never quite as good as the original
Hackintosh - Core i5 4670K, GA-Z87X-UD4, 7870XT, 16GB RAM, 128GB SDD | MacBook Air 13" 2013 | iPhone 5 16GB JB

Last edited by richard.mac; Mar 31, 2008 at 11:01 PM.
richard.mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:58 PM   #31
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by richthomas View Post
the Mac would pick it up straight away using bonjour and the windows PC would be able to connect to it using Bonjour for windows.
In theory, yes. In practice, all of my Windows PCs would periodically appear to print, but nothing would actually print. I got sick of removing and re-adding the printer every few days to make it function again. This was over a year ago though, has there been a Bonjour update since then that might help?
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:18 AM   #32
teknikal90
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12 View Post
No its not. The OP is connecting the printer to the PC then sharing the printer. What he should be doing is connect the printer directly to his router and install the network printer drivers. I agree that this is the best option.
i dont understand how this can work...i ahve afull fledged computer as the print server...shouldnt this be more flexible?and plus i dont have the driver for wireless printing i think thats the biggest problem
i looked everywhere....i think its becasue i dont really know fully what to look for.
teknikal90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:22 AM   #33
teknikal90
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by richthomas View Post
if you had a windows PC sharing a printer to another windows PC it would be easy and vice versa a Mac sharing a printer to another Mac. sharing a printer over the network in a mixed OS environment complicates it. i agree adding a printer connected to a PC is too complicated and should be resolved. it took me way to long to figure it out but once you get it working it should stey hassle free.

i use a HP DeskJet connected to my PC and the only way i have found to connect to it by using the CUPS driver. but this means i cant use the printer features from HP's drivers like ink levels and draft printing. if i connect it by USB the driver loads automagically with ink levels and i can draft print. but i dont wont to do this as i have a MacBook just like the OP.

if its just a standard printer with no wireless card connected to a PC, to print from it wirelessly over the network on a Mac you have to use the CUPS driver.

the easiest way would be to plug the printer into an Airport Express/Airport Extreme Base Station or any other wireless router with a USB port or parallel port. the Mac would pick it up straight away using bonjour and the windows PC would be able to connect to it using Bonjour for windows. Apple documents how to do this here.

my advice to the OP would be to add the printer under "Windows" in the add printer window and use the CUPS driver either "HP DeskJet Series, 1.3", "HP LaserJet Series PCL 4/5, 1.3" or "Generic PostScript Printer, 1.3". to do this your Windows PC would have to show under "Shared" in the Finder so make sure it does. make sure you add the Unix print services on the PC following this guide under "I want to connect the printer to my PC". or if that doesnt work use the old school CUPS method of using the browser in the same guide.
ive enabled unix printing and tried every single driver under HP that came up....same thing happened...the print job got sent....the windows machine even receives it..(it appeared in the print job window on the windows PC)...but the printer doesnt print...i think its a driver problem...thats all i can think of...the mac is connecteing to the windows pc sccessfully and it even detects the printer...
the windows machine has bonjour on it so this part was easy...
what i need is a driver that i can install that i can then use over the network..
teknikal90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:23 AM   #34
teknikal90
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
and this black and white theme is annoying me.
teknikal90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:25 AM   #35
arkitect
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
and this black and white theme is annoying me.
Then change it.

Bottom left.
Attached Images
 
arkitect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:29 AM   #36
richard.mac
macrumors 603
 
richard.mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 51.50024, -0.12662
Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
ive enabled unix printing and tried every single driver under HP that came up....same thing happened...the print job got sent....the windows machine even receives it..(it appeared in the print job window on the windows PC)...but the printer doesnt print...i think its a driver problem...thats all i can think of...the mac is connecteing to the windows pc sccessfully and it even detects the printer...
the windows machine has bonjour on it so this part was easy...
what i need is a driver that i can install that i can then use over the network..
try the gutenprint drivers http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/ credit goes to Kwill from page 1.
__________________
If you can't innovate, you just imitate, but it's never quite as good as the original
Hackintosh - Core i5 4670K, GA-Z87X-UD4, 7870XT, 16GB RAM, 128GB SDD | MacBook Air 13" 2013 | iPhone 5 16GB JB
richard.mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:37 AM   #37
teknikal90
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
F!!!!
i installed gutenprint..like above had adviced....i looked through the drivers it provided...mine is not included!!!
and whats worse....my OLD printer that i had just thrown away..........yup....listed.

F!!!
teknikal90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:01 AM   #38
misterredman
macrumors 6502a
 
misterredman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
F!!!!
i installed gutenprint..like above had adviced....i looked through the drivers it provided...mine is not included!!!
and whats worse....my OLD printer that i had just thrown away..........yup....listed.

F!!!
You tried this one?

it's the HP source of driver for linux and OS X.

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/O...g/MacOSX/hpijs


edit: forgot the link

Last edited by misterredman; Apr 1, 2008 at 07:23 AM.
misterredman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:21 PM   #39
Kwill
macrumors 68000
 
Kwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
It is odd that the premise of dissatisfaction is that Apple products are supposed to just work but there is a problem printing. Neither the printer, the printer driver, nor the host computer are made by Apple, yet the latter is the target of disdain.

Very likely, the issues experienced can be remedied by adding more Apple hardware to the mix instead of less. As mentioned earlier, I have several printers on a network. The key thing looked for is an Ethernet port. Desktop computers are hardwired to each other and to networked printers. However, Apple laptops have wireless access to the same.

The majority of cheap printers intended for single-user environments do not come with an Ethernet port. Apple has, though, figured out an ingenious method of networking USB printers. A USB port is now on the AirPort Extreme Base Station.



For nearly half the price, one could similarly use the Apple AirPort Express. By plugging a printer into the USB port, the printer can then be available to other computers on your wireless network. Many helpful sales personnel at Apple retail stores can advise which of the two is best for your needs.

I am happy you see the value of a Mac laptop. Hopefully, future experiences will keep you from targeting frustration on what very well may be the strongest link of a weak chain.
Kwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:50 PM   #40
teknikal90
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterredman View Post
You tried this one?

it's the HP source of driver for linux and OS X.

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/O...g/MacOSX/hpijs


edit: forgot the link
this SEMI-works...

when i press print....the printer RESPONDS! it makes those noises as if its preparing to print and the active LED blinks...BUT....it doesnt actually ever print anythign

man...haha so close yet so far....i followed all instructions...installed foomatic...GPL ghostscript and then the HP set of drivers..
looks like it is just not my luck...
btw to poster above.i understand that buying an apple router would fix the problem...but ive JUST bought another router...a linksys actually..and it doesnt have a print server built it...
teknikal90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 08:21 PM   #41
rychencop
macrumors 65816
 
rychencop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: http://www.northaugusta.net/
Send a message via AIM to rychencop Send a message via Yahoo to rychencop
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterredman View Post
You need to provide more informations if you want help. What kind of print server you have? Model? What about the printer?
Print server = D-link DP-301U
Printer = Epson CX8400
Router = D-link DIR-655

I have the latest CUPS installed. Printer works fine when connected with the usb cable.
__________________
15.4" 2.4GHz A1226 MBP, 4Gb Ram, 240Gb SSD, OS 10.7.5
3G Nano , iPhone 5
rychencop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 08:29 PM   #42
richard.mac
macrumors 603
 
richard.mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 51.50024, -0.12662
Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rychencop View Post
Print server = D-link DP-301U
Printer = Epson CX8400
Router = D-link DIR-655

I have the latest CUPS installed. Printer works fine when connected with the usb cable.
try the Line Printer Daemon protocol under IP in printer setup. the address would be 192.168.0.1, you will have to find out the queue name for your print server… look in the router's documentation, then Name and Location can be anything and try the Epson drivers or CUPS drivers. if these dont try the Guten-print or Linux Fundation drivers for your model.

EDIT: i searched around and i think your queue name is "PSC2210"… try that.
__________________
If you can't innovate, you just imitate, but it's never quite as good as the original
Hackintosh - Core i5 4670K, GA-Z87X-UD4, 7870XT, 16GB RAM, 128GB SDD | MacBook Air 13" 2013 | iPhone 5 16GB JB

Last edited by richard.mac; Apr 1, 2008 at 08:37 PM.
richard.mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 08:33 PM   #43
rychencop
macrumors 65816
 
rychencop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: http://www.northaugusta.net/
Send a message via AIM to rychencop Send a message via Yahoo to rychencop
Quote:
Originally Posted by richthomas View Post
try the Line Printer Daemon protocol under IP in printer setup. the address would be 192.168.0.1, you will have to find out the queue name for your print server… look in the router's documentation, then Name and Location can be anything and try the Epson drivers or the Guten-print drivers.
i got this error message.
Attempting to connect to host 192.168.0.1 for printer PS-EF22B8-U1
Network host '192.168.0.1' is busy; will retry in 25 seconds...

changed the ip to 192.168.0.10 which is the ip for the print server and it prints blank pages.
__________________
15.4" 2.4GHz A1226 MBP, 4Gb Ram, 240Gb SSD, OS 10.7.5
3G Nano , iPhone 5
rychencop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 08:48 PM   #44
richard.mac
macrumors 603
 
richard.mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 51.50024, -0.12662
Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rychencop View Post
i got this error message.
Attempting to connect to host 192.168.0.1 for printer PS-EF22B8-U1
Network host '192.168.0.1' is busy; will retry in 25 seconds...

changed the ip to 192.168.0.10 which is the ip for the print server and it prints blank pages.
look here 3 posts from the bottom says the default queue name PSC2210 works 5% of the time. theres another post that says the queue name is "PS-<servername>-P1" so try that.

do you have access to a windows PC? you could check the queue name on that? im not sure how to do this as all the info i just gathered was from a "D-Link DP-301U queue name" Google search.

i once setup an HP DeskJet on a Netgear FR114P print server and the "catch" ended up being the correct queue name which was "fr114p"
__________________
If you can't innovate, you just imitate, but it's never quite as good as the original
Hackintosh - Core i5 4670K, GA-Z87X-UD4, 7870XT, 16GB RAM, 128GB SDD | MacBook Air 13" 2013 | iPhone 5 16GB JB

Last edited by richard.mac; Apr 1, 2008 at 08:59 PM.
richard.mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 09:22 AM   #45
teknikal90
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
looks like im out of luck.yay for plugging and unplugging.
teknikal90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 09:33 AM   #46
Shadow
macrumors 68000
 
Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Keele, United Kingdom
Send a message via MSN to Shadow
Someone mentioned this earlier, but you should really try going through these: http://iharder.sourceforge.net/curre...winmacprinter/

It does work and I used it until I got me a cheap AirPort Express
__________________
MacBook Pro 2.66GHz C2D 8GB 128GB SSD 9600m
iPhone 4 16GB
Shadow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:56 PM   #47
hayward9
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Similar Problem Different Hardware

I've been searching for an answer to a similar problem.

iMac 24" 2.8, 4Gb, OS X 10.5.2
linksys WRT54GS v.5 router
Samsung CLP-610 printer

The printer is plugged into the router via ethernet cable and the iMac connects via AirPort.

I cannot get the add printer wizard on the iMac to find the driver. I downloaded the latest drivers from the Samsung website. The wizard sees the printer, but cannot find the driver.

I subsequently connected the printer directly to the iMac via the USB port and it printed fine.

After reading this thread, it's beginning to sound like there is no network driver available. If that's true, is there a workaround? I'm going to add a time capsule, so I guess I could plug it into the USB port there.

Any help would be appreciated.
hayward9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:17 PM   #48
yoavcs
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Israel
The solution is to go into the printer Properties Page in Windows and deselect an option called "Enable Bi-directional Printing". I don't quite remember under which tab it is placed and don't have a Windows PC handy to check, but it should be under a tab called Ports or some such thing. Just look for it and disable it.

This, by the way, is a Windows mis-feature and has nothing to do with OS X. Same problem appears under any OS but Windows you would try.

As for the Terminal commands you typed: they basically did nothing. Just ignore it.
yoavcs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why, when you print some things does it print to the entire paper? DramaLLama OS X 0 Jan 29, 2014 12:44 PM
iMac added to Windows print server but won't print fimy Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 0 May 23, 2013 01:04 PM
Print queue loses items to print + auto-generate PDF when printing Woutje Mac Basics and Help 0 Nov 29, 2012 09:09 AM
Print Button (Print Documents, Photos, Web Pages from your iPhone or iPad) nexyer iPhone and iPod touch Apps 9 Nov 28, 2012 05:24 AM
How can I print to file (simple output) from the print dialog? Not PDF or PostScript hachiroku OS X 0 Oct 24, 2012 03:48 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC