Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jphoenix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
Austin, TX
I know that the Apple Store student discount doesn't apply to software in the retail stores. Does the student discount apply to iPods?

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah, I bought mine last year and got it for 269 instead of 299. I don't think they charge tax either on educational stuff.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
Back in the day - 4 or so years ago - when my school bought anything it wasn't taxed because it'd be like taxing themselves. I've bought via edu and I'm pretty sure they didnt' jack me on the tax, but don't quote me on this. It also probably varies state to statte. I live in Ohio.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm not sure what these guys are talking about. I just bought my iBook G4 from the Apple Store in Virginia with the edu discount, and I was charged sales tax--all 4.5% (he, he, much better than the 8.25% I'd have to pay in my home state, California).

raiderz182

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
north philly
not sure about this, but my mom told me to save the reciepts on my books, so save the receipt, im sure you can file it on your tax returns by the end of the year, it is for education after all

what else are you gonna listen to when ur sleeping in class?? ^_^

RMcolder

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2003
I wish sales tax was negated with an education discount. What the final price for a powerbook boiled down to was the retail price without tax. The receipt looked so nice before "update subtotal."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.