Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 6, 2003, 11:34 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Apple Store Washington Square, the first in Oregon, opens No...

Category: Apple Services
Link: Apple Store Washington Square, the first in Oregon, opens Nov. 15

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by arn
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 7, 2003, 01:12 AM   #2
fraeone
macrumors regular

NICE. Glad to see that those rumors were true. Anybody have any suggestions for how early I should get there to get my free t-shirt? It opens at 10am, but I certainly don't plan on camping out.

fraeone
Old Nov 7, 2003, 01:05 PM   #3
eric_n_dfw
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to eric_n_dfw Send a message via MSN to eric_n_dfw Send a message via Yahoo to eric_n_dfw Send a message via Skype™ to eric_n_dfw
Best place to buy w/ Edu Discount?

Sweet!

This is probably the best place for students to buy as Oregon has no sales tax. I used to work there a lot and am thinking my wife and I need to take a trip to see old co-worker friends and maybe pick up a PowerBook while we're there!
eric_n_dfw is offline   0
Old Nov 7, 2003, 04:48 PM   #4
Java
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Java
Quote:
Originally posted by fraeone
NICE. Glad to see that those rumors were true. Anybody have any suggestions for how early I should get there to get my free t-shirt? It opens at 10am, but I certainly don't plan on camping out.

fraeone
5 a.m. is good. Take it from one who has been there.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 07:23 PM   #5
fraeone
macrumors regular

5am?! Humor me for a second. Apple gives away 1000 t-shirts per opening. So if I get there at 5:30 there are going to be 1000 people in line? Plus I think Washington Square is an indoor mall, so I don't know where all these people are going to be.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 08:07 PM   #6
wdlove
macrumors 604

It all depends on the population in your area. I went to the first store opening in Massachussetts which was Peabody on the North Shore. It opened at 10am. We arrived by 8am, my wife and I got a T-Shirt. I'm like you camping out would not be an option. I think that we had about a 2 hour wait to get inside the store. It was very exciting. Good like with your decision.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 08:15 PM   #7
Daveman Deluxe
macrumors 68000

I want to go, but I have a concert the night before and I work at the football game the day of the opening. Dag, yo.
Daveman Deluxe is offline   0
Old Nov 7, 2003, 08:29 PM   #8
tazo

Send a message via ICQ to tazo Send a message via AIM to tazo Send a message via Yahoo to tazo
Let me be the first to say that this is the 1st store in oregon, and yet apple insists on adding 3 new apple stores to california every month
tazo is offline   0
Old Nov 7, 2003, 08:36 PM   #9
Sayhey
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally posted by tazo
Let me be the first to say that this is the 1st store in oregon, and yet apple insists on adding 3 new apple stores to california every month
Hey, tazo, I have to wait months for the San Francisco store to open and you have two new stores within what 15-20 minutes of each other. Have a little sympathy for your poor, put upon California brethren!
Sayhey is offline   0
Old Nov 8, 2003, 02:03 AM   #10
fraeone
macrumors regular

I should probably forgo the t-shirt and go a little later. I want to buy a Powerbook at the store and don't want to get lost in a gaggle of people
Old Nov 8, 2003, 09:16 AM   #11
Sayhey
macrumors 68000

There was a rumor about a second store in Pioneer Place shopping center in downtown Portland, but I see the site that I first read this at has since removed it. Any Portland residents know anything about it?
Sayhey is offline   0
Old Nov 8, 2003, 11:57 AM   #12
fraeone
macrumors regular

I heard that a few things fell through for the Pioneer Place store. Apparently they already had the staff hired, and moved most of those people over to the new Tigard store. There have been rumors that the Pioneer Place store would still happen, but with word about it first surfacing in January, and still nothing firm, I wouldn't count on that store opening any time soon.
Old Nov 8, 2003, 12:09 PM   #13
Sayhey
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally posted by fraeone
I heard that a few things fell through for the Pioneer Place store. Apparently they already had the staff hired, and moved most of those people over to the new Tigard store. There have been rumors that the Pioneer Place store would still happen, but with word about it first surfacing in January, and still nothing firm, I wouldn't count on that store opening any time soon.
Thanks, that explains a lot.
Sayhey is offline   0
Old Nov 8, 2003, 02:18 PM   #14
tazo

Send a message via ICQ to tazo Send a message via AIM to tazo Send a message via Yahoo to tazo
Quote:
Originally posted by Sayhey
Hey, tazo, I have to wait months for the San Francisco store to open and you have two new stores within what 15-20 minutes of each other. Have a little sympathy for your poor, put upon California brethren!
Umm seattle and bellevue are both more than 15 minutes away....

And no bus access to them

I wish they'd put one in downtown seattle, around the other high-end shopping areas like tiffany's etc...

Then i could get there by bus

And dont forget that SF will be a flagship store, unlike the bellevue store which is the small kind, and the unviersity village store which is the medium 1-story size store.
tazo is offline   0
Old Nov 8, 2003, 06:44 PM   #15
Sayhey
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Umm seattle and bellevue are both more than 15 minutes away....

And no bus access to them

I wish they'd put one in downtown seattle, around the other high-end shopping areas like tiffany's etc...

Then i could get there by bus

And dont forget that SF will be a flagship store, unlike the bellevue store which is the small kind, and the unviersity village store which is the medium 1-story size store.
I haven't forgotten. tazo, you know I'm pulling your leg, right? We have an embarassment of riches when it comes to stores in the Bay Area. I think it is only going to get better. I can't believe that Apple doesn't plan to have a San Jose store at sometime in the future. We will see how far they are going to take this expansion, I just hope they keep going for a while. Hey, how about an Everett or a Tacoma store? Seems like a good idea to me. Gotta surround those folks at Redmond!
Sayhey is offline   0
Old Nov 8, 2003, 09:56 PM   #16
tazo

trust me, there is no need for a store in tacoma It ain't Apple's kind of locale nor clientele
tazo is offline   0
Old Nov 8, 2003, 10:06 PM   #17
Sayhey
macrumors 68000

Quote:
trust me, there is no need for a store in tacoma It ain't Apple's kind of locale nor clientele
Haven't a clue, tazo. How about Olympia?
Sayhey is offline   0
Old Nov 9, 2003, 02:05 PM   #18
fraeone
macrumors regular

Olympia is desperately in need of a store. Apple's web site lists 4th Dimension Computers as the only Olympia Reseller, but they don't have anything Apple. I'm not sure how they weasled their way on to Apple's website. Does this: http://www.4dcomputers.com look like a Mac store?

The next closest reseller? Why that would be crappy CompUSA in Tacoma! So there is nowhere within 45 minutes to get Apple stuff in the state Capital! Which is why I'm excited for the Portland store--just as close as Seattle, and better prices (tax).

Last edited by fraeone; Nov 9, 2003 at 02:12 PM.
fraeone is offline   0
Old Nov 15, 2003, 08:11 PM   #19
emaq123
macrumors newbie

I was there!

Since nobody has a follow-up posted yet. I was at the opening today. It was a good sized crowd, but I'd say that anyone who got in line by 11am should have gotten a shirt. I took photos and posted a quick write-up on my site.

http://lovemymac.net/applestore.html

I've been to four stores now but this was my first opening. Yeah for me!
emaq123 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion