Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
I took the plundge... I didn't know much about the "dark side" so I decided to try it out. I have built a AMD Athlon64 3200+ system for gaming and, you know what, it's on eBay. :)

This thing has caused me SO many problems in the last few weeks that I am interested in it no more.

To add to this, I came to another amazing realisation, other that PCs just ain't worth it, that is, that the whole "no games on mac" thing is just one big myth.

Games I own are: UT2003, Halo, WarCraft3, Tomb Raider, Battlefield, Rainbow Six3, Medal of Honor, The Sims, Return To Castle Wolf, Riven and Excile. Know how many of those games DON'T have Mac versions?????? ....... ONE. Out of the 11 games I have, only 1 does not have a Mac version.

I'm sure I can live with only 10 instead of 11 games for Mac and I've been so happy with Panther on my 1GHz TiBook that I see no reason to ever look back.

And, to top everything off in a big finish, when I looked at how much I had spent on the PC, I could have bought a G5. There would be a few things on the PC that would have been better but overall the machine would be similar and I would not be stuffing around building the computer and waiting weeks for DOA parts to come back or spending 30 min setting up new hard drives ect. ect. ect.

All hail the wonderful world of Apple... I guess you really do have to try out the opposition to realise what you really have.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Welcome back!

You are lucky though--when most go the Dark Side they usually don't back alive!

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Re: Welcome Back To 100% Apple

Originally posted by madamimadam
I took the plundge... I didn't know much about the "dark side" so I decided to try it out. I have built a AMD Athlon64 3200+ system for gamingB]

Since you know little about the "Drak Side" as you call it, I'm amazed;
1. You could afford this little experiment,
2. You buit a computer.
3. You installed windows.
4. You bothered to carry out this experiment.

I'm also guessing since you know little about the "Dark side" you didn't download the lastes windows updates, much the same as the 3rd decimal place in the Mac OS 10.3.(insert number here,) or the latest drivers from http://www.driverguide.com (especially for the nForce3 chipset) or the Graphics card manufacture.

I have heard nothing but praze from every PC magazine in Australia for the new 64-bit Athlon's, so a little more know-how on your end and you might find that you would not be selling your experiment on ebay.

EMPEROR
Oh, no, my young Jedi. You will find that it
is you who are mistaken...about a great
many things.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Re: Welcome Back To 100% Apple

Originally posted by manitoubalck
Since you know little about the "Drak Side" as you call it, I'm amazed;
1. You could afford this little experiment,

What have know how and money got to do with each other???

2. You buit a computer.

What's so special about that... esp since they come with instructions? Also, PCs are almost identical to Macs in how they are built.

3. You installed windows.

Again... beh??? Why is that hard???

4. You bothered to carry out this experiment.

Obviously I expected a good outcome.. why wouldn't I do it???

I'm also guessing since you know little about the "Dark side" you didn't download the lastes windows updates, much the same as the 3rd decimal place in the Mac OS 10.3.(insert number here,) or the latest drivers from http://www.driverguide.com (especially for the nForce3 chipset) or the Graphics card manufacture.

Why would I do this when they come on the CD that comes with the MoBo??? I never said I had driver problems.

I have heard nothing but praze from every PC magazine in Australia for the new 64-bit Athlon's, so a little more know-how on your end and you might find that you would not be selling your experiment on ebay.

Well, if they would like it, you can tell them where to buy it. You have no even asked what my problems where, you are making assuptions. Is know how going to speed up the time it takes for a DOA to be replaced or reduce the number of single pin cables to be connected to the MoBo?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Custom built systems are not for the weak
In truth, based on personal experience, even beige box HP PCs are not for the weak, but maybe that's just me.

And just because you have every latest update and the knowhow to make it work doesn't mean it's actually worth the time to make it happen. I get paid for that sort of thing, but it's sure not worth doing when I get home at the end of the day.

As for manitoubalck, welcome back. Feels good, doesn't it?

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
dude, i hate to say it, but that looks like a pretty ****ing nice machine for being a pc...

and for the price your selling it for, are you just going to stick with a tibook, or are you going to buy a G5?

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Originally posted by Makosuke
As for manitoubalck, welcome back. Feels good, doesn't it?

I'm not sure I went anywhere, but I am feeling great

And for madamimadam Asside for what I said well done for getting all those parts. http://www.ebay.com.au lot: 2763589559

(The nForce3 chipset is having driver issues, much like the Geforce FX graphics cards, If I were you I would hang on to it for a little while until those issues are solved. Then when those issues are solved make a decision, because it's a mean machine you've got.)

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Ahhhh, always the freudian slip..... Don't tell me nobody noticed the "X" on the front of the box? Subtile, yet powerfull way that your subconscious reminds you there's something better outthere! And it worked :p

Attachments

• 91_1.jpg
    91_1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 444

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Originally posted by whocares
Ahhhh, always the freudian slip..... Don't tell me nobody noticed the "X" on the front of the box? Subtile, yet powerfull way that your subconscious reminds you there's something better outthere! And it worked :p

maybe because it's a thermaltake XASER CASE?

I now also know why you chose a XASER CASE because you don't need to use a screwdriver.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
it is. a friend has it. 4 thermal sensors, 8 fans, EL light front panel, it's also full metal on the front, heavy door. :)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Custom built systems are not for the weak

i have gone around and around with wondering if a PC custom built is better or if a mac is better...so i delved into the subject to the point of buying several PCs and macs, becoming an apple, compaq, and dell warranty tech, doing graudate school mathematics and taking the class from a math genius who is a game theory fanatic and torturing us, getting microsoft certified, joining the cisco academy, and going for my phd in computer engineering :)

...and i still know and believe that making a custom PC is not always an easy and problem free things to do...it's not that PC parts are bad or incompatible anymore than what's in a mac...but it is usually the oversight of the person building a PC that gets into trouble...many experienced techs get so used to building PCs that they sometimes don't read the fine print and then they get humbled by that...a great example is when windows went to ntfs, hal, and the hcl was a shorter list than expected...man, those headaches were a challenge

if you are a user with very specific tastes and need it for a business that will run certain scientific, database, or statistical software, or are doing cutting edge java developing, or are a true hard core gamer...i suggest make your own PC

but if you want a machine that is on the cutting edge of graphics and works more seamlessly with adobe software, then get a mac

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
(The nForce3 chipset is having driver issues, much like the Geforce FX graphics cards, If I were you I would hang on to it for a little while until those issues are solved. Then when those issues are solved make a decision, because it's a mean machine you've got.)

LOL, thanks but I don't think fixing drivers would have fixed my problems... none of the fans would even spin when i turned it on and a high pitched squeal would start when the power supply was turned on (even before I tried to power up the machine).

Do you reckon anyone will buy it? I was thinking I might remove the 2 x Raptors and let the buyer choose a HD which i'll add for them and sell the Raptors seperately.

Originally posted by plinkoman
and for the price your selling it for, are you just going to stick with a tibook, or are you going to buy a G5?[/B]

I'm happy with my TiBook and I am totally over gaming machines, now. I think I'll keep some savings and get an Evo V kit added to my car... or maybe get a Canon 300D... not sure yet.

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Thoes are issues with the power supply in the Motherboard, If you sell that on ebay as you are, you'll get really bad feed back.

Take the stuffed components back to where you bought them and they will swap them no questions asked.

(were you grounded while building the machine? if not then you could have caused damage that warrreny wil not fix.)

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Thoes are issues with the power supply in the Motherboard, If you sell that on ebay as you are, you'll get really bad feed back.

Take the stuffed components back to where you bought them and they will swap them no questions asked.

(were you grounded while building the machine? if not then you could have caused damage that warrreny wil not fix.)

That is what everyone says but I tried a different PSU that I am using in another machine AND I've used the PSU before.

I use both a mat and a wrist strap.

dec

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2003
I have been a PC user for 19 years, most of that time hating Macs, always built my own machines since 286 era, and i have to say although it was fun, since changing to the "light side", i have never had so much fun and enjoyment from using a computer. PC's are great for gaming but you also have to live with windows, though because of its faults it has always provided me with an income. The main problem is the millions of configurations you can have with different hardware, and although apple don't update hardware that often, at least it doesn't become out of date the minute you buy it and loose its value so quickly. And am very happy with gaming on the Mac, sometimes there are so many games coming out on the PC, you dont know which to play. All the good games are out for the Mac anyway..

Independence

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
United States
Are you sure you built it right? And what was the rating on the power supply? Also, it'd be a good idea to touch the frame of the case before touching any of the components. It's better safe than sorry.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Personally I've never hard 'serious' problems with PCs. It's just when I let someone else use them is when they seem to mess up. When I got my TiBook and gave my PC to my MOM, I estimate that it has slowed done by at least 45%. Prolly because I reinstalled Windows at least once a month. Yeah, I'm obsesive like that. Still, I know this life-long mac user who is buildng his first PC for gaming over Christmas. Wish I were there, because it'll be as funny as hell. (That and I had to help him install his new PSU on his MDD G4) Oh well :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.