Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:30 AM   #1
ArthurDaley
macrumors regular

Disc will not eject

I am at the end of my teether with this new MBP (I am just coming off Windows).

Yesterday I gave up on WPA2 working - it seems Apple hardware only likes Apple hardware (i.e. router).

Today I am on a deadline and have 1 hour left and have to burn three data discs. I inserted my blank DVD and nothing will eject this disc. I have followed the instructions here: http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...41011075232575

I am really pi$$ed off with this MBP. Somebody help my tempter to calm down and tell me what rain dance you are meant to do with a Mac just to get the damn disc out (nothing written to disc as it does not show up as a volume).
ArthurDaley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:39 AM   #2
Fiveos22
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Fiveos22 Send a message via Yahoo to Fiveos22
Have you tried the Guide on Ejecting a Stuck CD/DVD?

Also the following recent threads may address your topic:

"Disc Jammed"

"Disc is Stuck"

"Stuck DVD Woes"

"Eject problem"

When in doubt, use the search function.

FWIW, my last ditch option, restarting while holding down the right click button, has never failed me (its also written in the article you linked).
Fiveos22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:51 AM   #3
ArthurDaley
macrumors regular

Right so I tried them all except holding left button whilst restarting and that worked.

I popped in a different blank DVD, same thing. I am going to miss today's deadline to get stuff in the post (for ITconversations.com) because this damn new Mac swallows discs, will not eject them and does not show them in Finder Now it seems I am going to have to see if I can switch back to a Windows XP machine just to get work done and that sucks.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:33 PM   #4
logana
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurDaley View Post
I popped in a different blank DVD, same thing. I am going to miss today's deadline to get stuff in the post (for ITconversations.com) because this damn new Mac swallows discs, will not eject them and does not show them in Finder
Blank cd/dvd's won't show in the finder - what are you using to burn them ?

Also check cd/dvd preferences in system preferences.
logana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 07:02 PM   #5
mreg376
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to mreg376
Quote:
I am at the end of my teether with this new MBP (I am just coming off Windows).

Yesterday I gave up on WPA2 working - it seems Apple hardware only likes Apple hardware (i.e. router).

Today I am on a deadline and have 1 hour left and have to burn three data discs. I inserted my blank DVD and nothing will eject this disc. I have followed the instructions here: http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...41011075232575

I am really pi$$ed off with this MBP. Somebody help my tempter to calm down and tell me what rain dance you are meant to do with a Mac just to get the damn disc out (nothing written to disc as it does not show up as a volume).
Are you using VMFusion by any chance? If you're running an operating system, like Windows XP, under Fusion it can take control of the DVD drive.
2011 iPhone 4s and 2013 5s / VZW
mreg376 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:31 AM   #6
ArthurDaley
macrumors regular

Sorry it's a new machine and the only thing I've installed was Paragon NTFS thingy, but I've removed that and the problem is still there.

I go take it to an Apple shop.

One thing for sure it just does not work unlike the Apple ad that says different. It's only just out the box and the WiFi is patchy, I have to run the diagnostic tool each time to connect, blank discs don't eject and I installed Skype but it sounds rubbish (all broken up speech) compared to the Vaio's around the house. I will see what the Apple shop says later today about my woes. Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:13 AM   #7
mreg376
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to mreg376
Quote:
Sorry it's a new machine and the only thing I've installed was Paragon NTFS thingy, but I've removed that and the problem is still there.

I go take it to an Apple shop.

One thing for sure it just does not work unlike the Apple ad that says different. It's only just out the box and the WiFi is patchy, I have to run the diagnostic tool each time to connect, blank discs don't eject and I installed Skype but it sounds rubbish (all broken up speech) compared to the Vaio's around the house. I will see what the Apple shop says later today about my woes. Thanks
Sounds strange to me. By the way, I'm using my new Imac (also a fresh convert from Windows) with a whole bunch of non-Apple hardware and software, without a problem -- a Linksys wireless router, HP and Samsung printers, running Windows XP under Fusion with Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop, Minolta film scanner, D-Link USB hub, no-name USB hard drive enclosure for Time Machine, etc. And yes, it all "just worked." Please report back on what Apple tells you.
2011 iPhone 4s and 2013 5s / VZW
mreg376 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Batt
macrumors 65816

System Prefs - CDs/DVDs - "Show in Finder".
Old Apr 1, 2008, 08:54 AM   #9
ArthurDaley
macrumors regular

I did that, no luck

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help