Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArthurDaley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
I am at the end of my teether with this new MBP (I am just coming off Windows).

Yesterday I gave up on WPA2 working - it seems Apple hardware only likes Apple hardware (i.e. router).

Today I am on a deadline and have 1 hour left and have to burn three data discs. I inserted my blank DVD and nothing will eject this disc. I have followed the instructions here: http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20041011075232575

I am really pi$$ed off with this MBP. Somebody help my tempter to calm down and tell me what rain dance you are meant to do with a Mac just to get the damn disc out (nothing written to disc as it does not show up as a volume).

ArthurDaley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Right so I tried them all except holding left button whilst restarting and that worked.

I popped in a different blank DVD, same thing. I am going to miss today's deadline to get stuff in the post (for ITconversations.com) because this damn new Mac swallows discs, will not eject them and does not show them in Finder Now it seems I am going to have to see if I can switch back to a Windows XP machine just to get work done and that sucks.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
I popped in a different blank DVD, same thing. I am going to miss today's deadline to get stuff in the post (for ITconversations.com) because this damn new Mac swallows discs, will not eject them and does not show them in Finder

Blank cd/dvd's won't show in the finder - what are you using to burn them ?

Also check cd/dvd preferences in system preferences.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I am at the end of my teether with this new MBP (I am just coming off Windows).

Yesterday I gave up on WPA2 working - it seems Apple hardware only likes Apple hardware (i.e. router).

Today I am on a deadline and have 1 hour left and have to burn three data discs. I inserted my blank DVD and nothing will eject this disc. I have followed the instructions here: http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20041011075232575

I am really pi$$ed off with this MBP. Somebody help my tempter to calm down and tell me what rain dance you are meant to do with a Mac just to get the damn disc out (nothing written to disc as it does not show up as a volume).

Are you using VMFusion by any chance? If you're running an operating system, like Windows XP, under Fusion it can take control of the DVD drive.

ArthurDaley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Sorry it's a new machine and the only thing I've installed was Paragon NTFS thingy, but I've removed that and the problem is still there.

I go take it to an Apple shop.

One thing for sure it just does not work unlike the Apple ad that says different. It's only just out the box and the WiFi is patchy, I have to run the diagnostic tool each time to connect, blank discs don't eject and I installed Skype but it sounds rubbish (all broken up speech) compared to the Vaio's around the house. I will see what the Apple shop says later today about my woes. Thanks

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Sorry it's a new machine and the only thing I've installed was Paragon NTFS thingy, but I've removed that and the problem is still there.

I go take it to an Apple shop.

One thing for sure it just does not work unlike the Apple ad that says different. It's only just out the box and the WiFi is patchy, I have to run the diagnostic tool each time to connect, blank discs don't eject and I installed Skype but it sounds rubbish (all broken up speech) compared to the Vaio's around the house. I will see what the Apple shop says later today about my woes. Thanks

Sounds strange to me. By the way, I'm using my new Imac (also a fresh convert from Windows) with a whole bunch of non-Apple hardware and software, without a problem -- a Linksys wireless router, HP and Samsung printers, running Windows XP under Fusion with Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop, Minolta film scanner, D-Link USB hub, no-name USB hard drive enclosure for Time Machine, etc. And yes, it all "just worked." Please report back on what Apple tells you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.