Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seminole913

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
My Macbook Was On And Working And I Tried To Hit The Power Button To Turn The Macbook Off And It Would Not Work....so I Shut It Down Using Computer Shut Down Under The Apple ....now It Will Not Turn Back On......it Has To Be The Power Button Itself....is There Any Where I Could Buy A Replacement Power Button? And Is There Any Other Way To Get It To Turn On Without Using The Power Button???????

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England
Not sure if its your power button..

If the power button had been stuck in, the computer would have turned off earlier. (If I hold my down it forces shut down)

Can you not book an appointment at the genius bar?

Hope you've got APP.

seminole913

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
its not under warranty nemore.....its just strange the button wouldnt turn off the computer so i shut it down under the menu ...and now the button wont turn it on

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
If your good with electronics you could take apart the machine and look for a test patch to short, on the logicboard which would allow an engineer to fire up the Mac.

However, there's no way to tell what marking it might have near it other than a couple of square brackets.. kinda like: [• •]

meligo

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
What did you did?

Im having the same problem right now...
one day my mac was working perfectly and i wanted to shut it down... and the power button doesnt seem to respond soo i went to thee apple menu and hit the Shut Down.. later i realized that i wouldnt be able to power it up again!:( what can i do!! any help is appreciated
Thanks in advance

emmaandrews

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
hello all,

the same thing has happened to me!!!!

im really stuck i have tried so many things even your link above^^^
which hasnt helped me at sorry but if anyone could help me i would really love it if you helped me because this is a school computer and i will have to pay heaps of money which i have already done and i have to do homework on it, if you guys could tell me what happened to your computer it would help a lot thanks so much!!!!!

mwmw1616

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
hello all,

the same thing has happened to me!!!!

im really stuck i have tried so many things even your link above^^^
which hasnt helped me at sorry but if anyone could help me i would really love it if you helped me because this is a school computer and i will have to pay heaps of money which i have already done and i have to do homework on it, if you guys could tell me what happened to your computer it would help a lot thanks so much!!!!!

I know it's been like a year, but was this ever resolved? I am having a similar issue and Apple told me they want to send it away for 1250 because other things "might" have been damaged. I am so sure that everything else is fine, it was working great until the power cord accidentally got knocked out and it died. Did you end up getting it fixed?

richgenres

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2013
disconnect power... undo the casing... disconnect the battery for a few seconds... then connect the battery back again... then insert the power cable... white light should blink on the front right, then mac should boot into life. havn't got a resolve to fix the button, but at least this gets the thing back to life. repeat process if powers down again..

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
disconnect power... undo the casing... disconnect the battery for a few seconds... then connect the battery back again... then insert the power cable... white light should blink on the front right, then mac should boot into life. havn't got a resolve to fix the button, but at least this gets the thing back to life. repeat process if powers down again..

-he says 5 years later.

Diveactive

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2008
Devon
same to me Gutted

this is my 3rd MBP not learnt my lesson yet.
last night , Just down the mac as normal and closed the lid, This morning , opened , press the button. NOTHING , went on all forums, Tried everything, landed up going to mac, the set it saying it was the power button. Scared the hell out of me when told it would cost a fortune. as the whole top needed to be replaced, Can the button just be replaced, When macs go wrong, its stupidly expensive, And they do often.
My Toshiba 8 years before I sold it.

My other two MBPs , logic boards and screens. where do apple get their parts from?
So this power button. on 2011 BMP 15 inch? :(

TNJ

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2014
Power button turns MacBook Pro off, but not back on.

Any resolution? My power button powers my mac off but not back on. I have to replace the battery to get it to power on again.

aabramson10

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2015
I found a fix!

I have the late 2008 aluminum unibody Macbook. My power key just stopped working after I wiped it down with a damp cloth. Took it to Apple and they told me to buy a brand new laptop, mine was beyond repair. I stumbled across this youtube video:

1. Jump starting laptop - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwCdgwGHFm8

I used a paperclip to touch the roughly the 5th to the 29th prong and my laptop started up. Everything functions properly now except for the top row of my keyboard and the right shift key. If you have a 2010 macbook or newer, take it to a repair store to get the keyboard replaced. The reason you can't just replace the power button is that it's attached to the whole keyboard system and things get fried together.

If this does not solve your problems, your issue is with the logic board which is a much bigger issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.