Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:15 AM   #1
seminole913
macrumors newbie

Unhappy MacBook Power Button Won't Work! Help!

My Macbook Was On And Working And I Tried To Hit The Power Button To Turn The Macbook Off And It Would Not Work....so I Shut It Down Using Computer Shut Down Under The Apple ....now It Will Not Turn Back On......it Has To Be The Power Button Itself....is There Any Where I Could Buy A Replacement Power Button? And Is There Any Other Way To Get It To Turn On Without Using The Power Button???????
seminole913 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:25 AM   #2
thecritix
macrumors 6502

Not sure if its your power button..

If the power button had been stuck in, the computer would have turned off earlier. (If I hold my down it forces shut down)

Can you not book an appointment at the genius bar?

Hope you've got APP.
thecritix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:29 AM   #3
seminole913
macrumors newbie

its not under warranty nemore.....its just strange the button wouldnt turn off the computer so i shut it down under the menu ...and now the button wont turn it on
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:09 PM   #4
seminole913
macrumors newbie

come on ppl ik u all are smart????? what could it be ????
Old Apr 1, 2008, 10:05 PM   #5
UltraNEO*
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to UltraNEO*
If your good with electronics you could take apart the machine and look for a test patch to short, on the logicboard which would allow an engineer to fire up the Mac.

However, there's no way to tell what marking it might have near it other than a couple of square brackets.. kinda like: [ ]
Old Oct 5, 2010, 06:55 PM   #6
meligo
macrumors newbie

What did you did?

Im having the same problem right now...
one day my mac was working perfectly and i wanted to shut it down... and the power button doesnt seem to respond soo i went to thee apple menu and hit the Shut Down.. later i realized that i wouldnt be able to power it up again! what can i do!! any help is appreciated
Thanks in advance
meligo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 07:18 PM   #7
electrolux76
macrumors member

A SMU reset is worth a try.

Check out this apple document:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US

Obviously, you'll have to ignore the part about what to try before reseting the SMU because you can't power the machine on but give the reset a shot, it might work.
Good Luck
electrolux76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:53 PM   #8
emmaandrews
macrumors newbie

hello all,

the same thing has happened to me!!!!

im really stuck i have tried so many things even your link above^^^
which hasnt helped me at sorry but if anyone could help me i would really love it if you helped me because this is a school computer and i will have to pay heaps of money which i have already done and i have to do homework on it, if you guys could tell me what happened to your computer it would help a lot thanks so much!!!!!
emmaandrews is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:03 AM   #9
mwmw1616
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaandrews View Post
hello all,

the same thing has happened to me!!!!

im really stuck i have tried so many things even your link above^^^
which hasnt helped me at sorry but if anyone could help me i would really love it if you helped me because this is a school computer and i will have to pay heaps of money which i have already done and i have to do homework on it, if you guys could tell me what happened to your computer it would help a lot thanks so much!!!!!

I know it's been like a year, but was this ever resolved? I am having a similar issue and Apple told me they want to send it away for 1250 because other things "might" have been damaged. I am so sure that everything else is fine, it was working great until the power cord accidentally got knocked out and it died. Did you end up getting it fixed?
mwmw1616 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 05:03 PM   #10
richgenres
macrumors newbie

disconnect power... undo the casing... disconnect the battery for a few seconds... then connect the battery back again... then insert the power cable... white light should blink on the front right, then mac should boot into life. havn't got a resolve to fix the button, but at least this gets the thing back to life. repeat process if powers down again..
richgenres is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 05:05 PM   #11
B...
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgenres View Post
disconnect power... undo the casing... disconnect the battery for a few seconds... then connect the battery back again... then insert the power cable... white light should blink on the front right, then mac should boot into life. havn't got a resolve to fix the button, but at least this gets the thing back to life. repeat process if powers down again..
-he says 5 years later.
B... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2014, 01:01 PM   #12
Diveactive
macrumors newbie

same to me Gutted

this is my 3rd MBP not learnt my lesson yet.
last night , Just down the mac as normal and closed the lid, This morning , opened , press the button. NOTHING , went on all forums, Tried everything, landed up going to mac, the set it saying it was the power button. Scared the hell out of me when told it would cost a fortune. as the whole top needed to be replaced, Can the button just be replaced, When macs go wrong, its stupidly expensive, And they do often.
My Toshiba 8 years before I sold it.

My other two MBPs , logic boards and screens. where do apple get their parts from?
So this power button. on 2011 BMP 15 inch?
Diveactive is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro