Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:37 AM   #1
Joe M
macrumors newbie

Should I get an iPod classic now?

I already own a iPod touch and I wanted to get the 80GB iPod classic since it has more space and I wanted to use it primarily to out to my television using the new Apple AV cable and as a second iPod when my brother is using the iPod touch, since he helped pay for it. I was wondering if I should buy it not or not since on the buyer's guide it says to only buy it if needed because its coming close to an update and i don't really need it right know and if I could get 160GB version for the price of what it costs for the 80GB then I would wait but I don't want to wait pass this summer. Does anyone know when the next update is and should I wait or should I buy it now.
Joe M is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:53 AM   #2
FJ218700
macrumors 68000

if you can afford the 160 GB, even if they update in June, they are not going to go over 200 GB, thus it won't really be that obsolete.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:12 AM   #3
Joe M
macrumors newbie

Yes but I only wanted to pay the amount for the 80GB version, so I don't care if the 80GB version becomes abosolete, and when the update comes the 160GB would be at the $249 and a bigger hardrive would be at the higher end, if I'm right about this. I am willing to wait until the update for more harddrive space at the same price level but I am not willing to buy the 160GB at this time.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Mr.Noisy
macrumors 65816

Get the 80gb Classic, wont be obselete for a long time, ive got one, it's great, loads of storage, ive got about 26 films and a series of a tv show plus about 800 mp3's on it and still over 54gb free, i'll keep this for a while

at least till a 1tb ipods released
Old Mar 31, 2008, 05:01 PM   #5
Mushrooshi
macrumors regular

Ive got:

Naruto eps 1-135

Shippuuden 1-52

Bleach 1-25

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 1-14

Trigun 1-26

And 10 movies.

as well as 2 GIANT podcasts, and 150 MP3s, and I have 45GB left.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 05:48 PM   #6
yukon0013
macrumors regular

I would recommend you just get the 80 Gb Classic now.. I got one yesterday and am loving it.. no buyers remorse here. You also probably would be surprised how much the ipod will hold..
yukon0013 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 06:06 PM   #7
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon0013 View Post
I would recommend you just get the 80 Gb Classic now.. I got one yesterday and am loving it.. no buyers remorse here. You also probably would be surprised how much the ipod will hold..
Yukon0013, Is the iPod snappy like the old ones were? Did they finally iron out all of the bugs? I say this because I'm thinking about picking up a new iPod for my trip to spain, but I'm not sure if I want to get a 5.5G or a 6G.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 06:10 PM   #8
yukon0013
macrumors regular

The ipod Classic is fantastic .. I love it. Its really fast when switching through songs and menus and theres no delay at all. Everything about it is perfect
Old Mar 31, 2008, 06:12 PM   #9
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Good, that makes me feel much better about buying one now!
- Mulla Nasrudin
Old Mar 31, 2008, 06:23 PM   #10
yukon0013
macrumors regular

Do you know which color you are going to get??
Old Mar 31, 2008, 07:33 PM   #11
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon0013 View Post
Do you know which color you are going to get??
Black... Silver's just too...boring
- Mulla Nasrudin
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:08 PM   #12
yukon0013
macrumors regular

Sweet
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:19 PM   #13
DJJONES
macrumors 6502

160 gb ipod is just rediculos. i have the 60gb one and that was like 400 n some change then. now 350 gets you 160 tthats amazin!!!
DJJONES is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:03 PM   #14
tianuk3
macrumors member

been thinking about getting one too! I have 62gb of music currently on itunes, and wouldn't mind putting some videos on, so does that mean 80gb ipod will be sufficient? bear in mind if i add more albums.. my mate is just about to goto us, so I may pick one up from there as I have heard the EU ones have a sound limiter.

it says not to buy now unless needed on the buyers guide, any ideas of updates? i mean ipod touch is just too small otherwise it would have been perfect.
tianuk3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:17 PM   #15
bluedoggiant
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to bluedoggiant
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Good, that makes me feel much better about buying one now!
YES, YES!! my friend has a 5g ipod, its terrible, and the classic was worse in the store, i got my classic, and its zippier than his, but nothing beats my old non-color-screen 4g ipod at speed .

get one, its awesome, hell there are millions with 5g's and 5.5g's not complaining, ipod classic is the new thing, the Think Different™ thing

Haswell MacBook Pro 15" - 16GB - 2.3GHz - 512GB - dGPU
Mid-2007 iMac 24" - 4GB - 2.8GHz - .5TB
Gold 64GB iPhone 5s
bluedoggiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 05:41 AM   #16
rockthecasbah
macrumors 68020

The next platter size for the iPods will be 120GB, not 160. That means 120GB would replace the 80GB model and 240GB would replace 160GB. A June update is unlikely because Apple uses the summer to promote the Free iPod Nano w/ computer purchase for college students. That clearance also gives a sizeable discount off of more expensive models in hopes of clearing out their back stock of the generation so they can release new models in the fall, just in time for the holidays.

Unless you are willing to wait until at least late August or September, you should buy now and enjoy it. That time frame is still close to 6 months away... Odds are that new iPods won't come out until then given the recent trend Apple has been following the last few years with release dates.
"Ignore her, she's a feminist"
rockthecasbah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:20 AM   #17
iBookfan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah View Post
The next platter size for the iPods will be 120GB, not 160. That means 120GB would replace the 80GB model and 240GB would replace 160GB. A June update is unlikely because Apple uses the summer to promote the Free iPod Nano w/ computer purchase for college students. That clearance also gives a sizeable discount off of more expensive models in hopes of clearing out their back stock of the generation so they can release new models in the fall, just in time for the holidays.

Unless you are willing to wait until at least late August or September, you should buy now and enjoy it. That time frame is still close to 6 months away... Odds are that new iPods won't come out until then given the recent trend Apple has been following the last few years with release dates.
It's a great iPod. I have had mine for 6 months now and it works like a charm. I upgraded from a iPod Photo with 20 gb. And this is beatifully! And it matches my black macbook. I'll get the black one, but as on the macbook - Be aware of fingerprints. 'Cause it's going to get those, and also oily marks. Though you can buy a invisble Shield for it for about 25 bucks. Like I did. And now it's glossy.

But what the hell - they'll always update electronics and you can't be on the "wave" all the time, unless your wallet is a "big mother ****er" - from the "bad mother ****er" dialoge in Pulp Fiction
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:34 AM   #18
zainjetha
macrumors 6502a

Take a look at Refurb Store - IPods from there are amazing condition. It might make the 160gb more palatable or the 80gb even cheaper. Your call, and even if it has a tiny scratch it will be hooked to your TV so you wouldnt care.
zainjetha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 04:10 PM   #19
dubhe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tianuk3 View Post
been thinking about getting one too! I have 62gb of music currently on itunes, and wouldn't mind putting some videos on, so does that mean 80gb ipod will be sufficient? bear in mind if i add more albums.. my mate is just about to goto us, so I may pick one up from there as I have heard the EU ones have a sound limiter.

it says not to buy now unless needed on the buyers guide, any ideas of updates? i mean ipod touch is just too small otherwise it would have been perfect.
You don't have to keep all the movies on all of the time.
I have the 80GB because it is thinner than the 160GB and this is more important to me when I carry it around.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 04:14 PM   #20
dubhe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah View Post

I agree with all of the above, and in addition can't see what else they would do to update it other than increase the size. The current classic is faultless! The next 'proper' classic update will be Flash, but not for a few years...
Old Apr 3, 2008, 08:21 AM   #21
Joe M
macrumors newbie

I went ahead and bought the 80GB for $174 off ebay, its a used one but the listing said it was in like new condition and only had be used for 2 months with is good enough for me. I also bought a 500GB external hard drive for under a 100 so the combined price of the ipod and the hard drive is very close the the brand new price of a new iPod classic with tax.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod