Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:26 PM   #1
gamerz
macrumors 6502

Free photo editing software for mac?

Hello,

What I have been looking for is a free photo editing program (that is much like photoshop, with all the filters, layers, etc.) Iphoto works well to edit photos, but if I wanted to do something a little more complicated, then I would have nothing to do it with. My brother told me that adobe released a free editing program, but he tends to be misleading alot. I have gimp at the moment, but find it pretty complicated (although I haven't gotten the time to get used to it).

Anybody know of a free photo editing program that I can download for my mac?
gamerz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:30 PM   #2
puckhead193
macrumors G3

and u want something like photoshop...
Adobe did release something but its more like an iphoto with basic editing and retouching check it out. I think its called photoshop express or you could get photoshop elements maybe the older version to save $$

it is - http://www.photoshop.com/express/lan...?promoid=CBTVJ
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:34 PM   #3
gamerz
macrumors 6502

sweet! I'll try it out.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:48 PM   #4
gamerz
macrumors 6502

Another quick question. I want to start getting into HDR, and have heard that photomax does a great job. Where can I find this?

Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2008, 12:08 AM   #5
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerz View Post
Hello,

What I have been looking for is a free photo editing program (that is much like photoshop, with all the filters, layers, etc.) Iphoto works well to edit photos, but if I wanted to do something a little more complicated, then I would have nothing to do it with. My brother told me that adobe released a free editing program, but he tends to be misleading alot. I have gimp at the moment, but find it pretty complicated (although I haven't gotten the time to get used to it).

Anybody know of a free photo editing program that I can download for my mac?
Gimp is what you want if you need something free. It was the full range of tools, selections, layers, masks, filters and it is scriptable.

The free web based thing Adobe just released is very primitive and not as good as even iPhoto.

About Gimp. If you are not used to some of the concepts like how to use layers and masks and selection tools Gimp will seem complicated but these same concepts, with slightly different user interface are used in Photoshop CS3 and in PS Elements. There are some books on Gimp that you can read. One comes with Gimp. All image editors have a steep learning curve

BTW. I've just had a chance to peek at Elements 6.0 for the Mac. It has at least 80% of what PS CS3 has if you are a photographer. Even comes with Bridge and Camera Raw as well as a zillon plug ins. If you can scrape together the $86 or so it's worth it.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography