Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Hello,

What I have been looking for is a free photo editing program (that is much like photoshop, with all the filters, layers, etc.) Iphoto works well to edit photos, but if I wanted to do something a little more complicated, then I would have nothing to do it with. My brother told me that adobe released a free editing program, but he tends to be misleading alot. I have gimp at the moment, but find it pretty complicated (although I haven't gotten the time to get used to it).

Anybody know of a free photo editing program that I can download for my mac?

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Another quick question. I want to start getting into HDR, and have heard that photomax does a great job. Where can I find this?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hello,

What I have been looking for is a free photo editing program (that is much like photoshop, with all the filters, layers, etc.) Iphoto works well to edit photos, but if I wanted to do something a little more complicated, then I would have nothing to do it with. My brother told me that adobe released a free editing program, but he tends to be misleading alot. I have gimp at the moment, but find it pretty complicated (although I haven't gotten the time to get used to it).

Anybody know of a free photo editing program that I can download for my mac?

Gimp is what you want if you need something free. It was the full range of tools, selections, layers, masks, filters and it is scriptable.

The free web based thing Adobe just released is very primitive and not as good as even iPhoto.

About Gimp. If you are not used to some of the concepts like how to use layers and masks and selection tools Gimp will seem complicated but these same concepts, with slightly different user interface are used in Photoshop CS3 and in PS Elements. There are some books on Gimp that you can read. One comes with Gimp. All image editors have a steep learning curve

BTW. I've just had a chance to peek at Elements 6.0 for the Mac. It has at least 80% of what PS CS3 has if you are a photographer. Even comes with Bridge and Camera Raw as well as a zillon plug ins. If you can scrape together the $86 or so it's worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.