Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timimbo85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Chicago
Hello all. I wanted to get everyones input on using typography in photoshop. I know vector based art is the best way to go, but is it "bad" to do type in PS. I created some ads for my company and just did everything in photoshop. It looked great and crisp. I am just a little worried that when it prints it is going to look distorted and pixelated? Any thought?

I should also add that majority of these companies require me to flatten the entire file.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Hello all. I wanted to get everyones input on using typography in photoshop. I know vector based art is the best way to go, but is it "bad" to do type in PS. ...
Can you do typography in PhotoShop? Yes.
Should you do typography in PhotoShop? No.

Would I accept a typographical job done PhotoShop? Let me put it this way: Yes, if the employee has a really good explanation. Otherwise, I would give him whatever help he needs to clean out his desk before the end of the day.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I should also add that majority of these companies require me to flatten the entire file.

How are you saving it? There may be some formats (like PDF or EPS) that preserve PS vectors (like type), but if you flatten (and rasterize) all the layers, you will end up with pixels, which might look okay but definitely won't look as good as vectors.

timimbo85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Chicago
Can you do typography in PhotoShop? Yes.
Should you do typography in PhotoShop? No.

Would I accept a typographical job done PhotoShop? Let me put it this way: Yes, if the employee has a really good explanation. Otherwise, I would give him whatever help he needs to clean out his desk before the end of the day.

lol, extreme, i like it. I just did it all the type in Indesign. I always get nervous putting pictures in AI or ID fearing the quality will alter, but they look great!! Thanks everybody.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
You are really cheating yourself if you try to do that kind of thing in Photoshop just because its type support is pretty limited. Especially now that OpenType is really coming into its own and old neglected fun (and really nice) features are returning, you'll really want to put some thought into using something made for type like indesign. Even if you end up taking that and pasting it into PS =)

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
PS type prints very nicely as long as you keep it above 10 points or so, and the resolution >=300ppi.

I usually reserve this type of thing for circumstances such as headers with drop shadows and other raster effects that might be problematic if done within InDesign.

timimbo85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Chicago
Thanks for all the input, I normally go with Indesign, but am guilty of doing a few projects in PS. But I agree with ID, it looks 100 more better.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
Without knowing the details I'd say there are some times when it just makes sense to do something up quick and dirty in PS. Sure it's not the best, but why must one always use the "best". I do a lot of photo-centric ads with limited text...I can do it in AI, but I'm quicker in PS and the job is done the same. The main thing is knowing why you're making the choices you are and what you're sacrificing by utilizing certain tools....

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.