Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 1, 2008, 02:18 PM   #1
Spongey817
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Family Plan - Unlimited Texting Question

Before I state the issue, I'll note that although I've tried searching the forum, I'm still unsure of the answer to my question.

Anyway...

I am currently an existing ATT customer on a family plan with four lines. Part of my plan now includes unlimited texting (on all four lines). I plan to buy an iPhone in the future and would like to purchase a data plan. Does this mean that after activating the iPhone with the lowest data plan, I will have both unlimited data AND unlimited texting? Or is the iPhone excluded from my current unlimited texting plan?

I'm sure this question may have been asked, but I've yet to come up with a concrete answer.

Thanks guys...

Note: I do not plan to unlock/jailbreak
Spongey817 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 10:44 PM   #2
~*allison*~
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere You've Never Heard Of, NJ
Send a message via AIM to ~*allison*~
I was told by AT&T that the iPhone is a separate plan from all the other phones on a family plan. My husband and I both bought iPhones and had to upgrade to the 1500 text messaging on each. I was told by the two different AT&T reps I spoke to that even the unlimited wireless to wireless (AT&T to AT&T text messaging) wasn't included in the iPhone text plans. I could be wrong, but that's what I was told. If I was lied to (twice) someone please correct me so we can save the extra $20 a month on our bill.
__________________
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." ~A. Einstein~
~*allison*~ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 10:54 PM   #3
Spongey817
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*allison*~ View Post
I was told by AT&T that the iPhone is a separate plan from all the other phones on a family plan. My husband and I both bought iPhones and had to upgrade to the 1500 text messaging on each. I was told by the two different AT&T reps I spoke to that even the unlimited wireless to wireless (AT&T to AT&T text messaging) wasn't included in the iPhone text plans. I could be wrong, but that's what I was told. If I was lied to (twice) someone please correct me so we can save the extra $20 a month on our bill.
Thanks for the reply...

Hmmm, it seems to vary depending on location. I've heard a few stories of existing plans carrying over, but that might simply be an error from an AT&T employee. In any case, it does seem logical that AT&T would have iPhone plans separate.

Anyone else?
Spongey817 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 10:58 PM   #4
ViPa
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
okay heres the official word..from me (i work there)..you can keep your existing unlimited texting..although you'll be on your own iphone text plan, you will still roll over onto your unlimited texting if you go over on your iphone text messaging plan..for example..if you get the $20 iphone plan which includes 200 texts..and say you used 250 texts..those extra 50 texts will come from the family unlimited messaging plan..you will not be charged an overage fee

hope that answers your question!
__________________
13.3" MacBook
16GB iPhone 4
ViPa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:03 PM   #5
Aj2488
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Send a message via AIM to Aj2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPa View Post
okay heres the official word..from me (i work there)..you can keep your existing unlimited texting..although you'll be on your own iphone text plan, you will still roll over onto your unlimited texting if you go over on your iphone text messaging plan..for example..if you get the $20 iphone plan which includes 200 texts..and say you used 250 texts..those extra 50 texts will come from the family unlimited messaging plan..you will not be charged an overage fee

hope that answers your question!
If you already split unlimited texting with someone else and split minutes with them and a 3rd person as well, could I just add the data plan for the iPhone and be good to go?
Aj2488 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:07 PM   #6
Spongey817
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPa View Post
okay heres the official word..from me (i work there)..you can keep your existing unlimited texting..although you'll be on your own iphone text plan, you will still roll over onto your unlimited texting if you go over on your iphone text messaging plan..for example..if you get the $20 iphone plan which includes 200 texts..and say you used 250 texts..those extra 50 texts will come from the family unlimited messaging plan..you will not be charged an overage fee

hope that answers your question!
Great! So essentially, if I already have unlimited texting with my current plan, I just have to pay $20 a month to get unlimited text and data for the iPhone.

Thanks for your help guys, it's greatly appreciated
Spongey817 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:12 PM   #7
theHunter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
My wife has iphone on family plan with 4 phones on $20 data plan and we have unlimited family texting due to the kids and it also applies to the iphone. after she uses the first 200 it then says unlimited. We have had this plan for 2 months now and have not even had to call at&t, they have gotten it right both months so far!!
theHunter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:17 PM   #8
Spongey817
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by theHunter View Post
My wife has iphone on family plan with 4 phones on $20 data plan and we have unlimited family texting due to the kids and it also applies to the iphone. after she uses the first 200 it then says unlimited. We have had this plan for 2 months now and have not even had to call at&t, they have gotten it right both months so far!!
Perfect, that's almost the exact situation I'll be in. Thanks!
Spongey817 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:23 AM   #9
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604
 
SFStateStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco California, USA
Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
We have 2 iphones ($20 for each data plan) , 1 Blackberry ($30 data plan) and 1 KRZR, we share 1400 minutes, and family unlimited text plan $29.99, unlimited M2M, 7pm unlimited Mon-Fri v. 9pm, and 6,000+ rollover minutes. Bill averages $240 per month. Extremely happy with our AT&T bill. We average about 3700 Text Messages per month between the four of us. We'll be adding a 3rd iPhone next month, (this will appease my off-duty supervisor) so, that'll bump the bill up to $65 per person per month.
__________________
MBP 2.5GHz 640GB 4GB RAM Mac Pro iPhone 4S iOS 5 Black 64GB AC+ NEW iPad Apple TV 2G
SFStateStudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:46 PM   #10
attiphone
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPa View Post
okay heres the official word..from me (i work there)..you can keep your existing unlimited texting..although you'll be on your own iphone text plan, you will still roll over onto your unlimited texting if you go over on your iphone text messaging plan..for example..if you get the $20 iphone plan which includes 200 texts..and say you used 250 texts..those extra 50 texts will come from the family unlimited messaging plan..you will not be charged an overage fee

hope that answers your question!
I have an iphone 2G that i want unlimited texting on a family plan with 3 other phones, but the att people say that you have to pay extra because its an old iphone. Why?
attiphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:54 PM   #11
AiralynRose
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Send a message via AIM to AiralynRose
we have 2 3g iPhones and 1 original iPhone on our plan with unlimited family texting
__________________
My iPhone Apps: www.amberback.com 32GB iPhone 4 Aluminum iMac Aluminum MacBook 120GB iPod Classic
AiralynRose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 08:23 AM   #12
siufai
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by attiphone View Post
I have an iphone 2G that i want unlimited texting on a family plan with 3 other phones, but the att people say that you have to pay extra because its an old iphone. Why?
because the 2g iPhone data plan includes 200 text and unlimited data. The new 3g plan is for unlimited data only and the you have to add a text plan with it. (200 text for $5)
siufai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 09:08 AM   #13
bstpierre
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by attiphone View Post
I have an iphone 2G that i want unlimited texting on a family plan with 3 other phones, but the att people say that you have to pay extra because its an old iphone. Why?
We have a family plan that includes 1 razor, 1 2g iPhone and 1 3g iPhone. We have unlimited texting. We are not paying extra for the "old" iPhone.
bstpierre is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change old family plan with unlimited foxnews1 iPhone 1 Mar 29, 2013 07:12 PM
Change Texting and Minutes on Grandfathered Verizon Unlimited Plan w/o Losing It? Starfyre iPhone 3 Oct 20, 2012 12:05 PM
Moving an unlimited plan from family to individual ddehr026 iPhone 5 Oct 15, 2012 10:06 AM
Best carrier for family plan w/ unlimited ? mobkon2 iPhone 2 Sep 14, 2012 08:04 AM
AT&T Family Plan Question - Unlimited Data bigemw28226 iPhone 1 Sep 13, 2012 12:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps