Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I have a quick question. For some reason, only some of my music is streaming over to the AppleTV. When using the AppleTV and remote to select my music I get the patented error saying that the music can't play. All of my music is in the same format, Apple Lossless, and it all plays perfectly fine through itunes.
Actually, if I use my computer to select which song I want to play AppleTV picks that up fine and plays perfect.

Any ideas? Thanks.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I thought maybe it was certain albums, but I am seeing some songs from a particular album play fine and other songs from the same album won't play.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I took the AppleTV to the Apple Store to see if there was a problem with it. Within the Apple Store, the AppleTV worked as it should.
I have come to the conclusion that it must be a network problem inside my home. What kind of problem would I be having with my network to cause this problem?

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
If I use the computer to choose the music I want to play and use the AppleTV and APX through Airtunes, my music plays perfect regardless of the format. If it is a network problem, I wonder why it will stream when I choose music from my computer, but won't stream correctly when using the AppleTV to choose my music.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
It would be helpful if you described your network environment. For example, if you were streaming off an AirDisk, I'd be able to tell you to stop doing that since it is, at best, unreliable.

So?

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
It would be helpful if you described your network environment. For example, if you were streaming off an AirDisk, I'd be able to tell you to stop doing that since it is, at best, unreliable.

So?

My network is setup as such. I am using an airport extreme hooked up to the cable modem. I also have an APX in a bedroom set up for streaming music only. My itunes music is hooked up to my iMac computer. All of my music is stored on an external hard drive hooked up directly to the iMac. My AppleTV is hooked up to my entertainment center receiver.

I hope that helps. Thanks.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
some thoughts

Make sure your apple TV is updated to 2.1

Go into the playlists where some songs are not streaming, make sure all the songs are checked.

In iTunes, switch back and forth from custom and automatic sync a time or two and "apply" each change. I did this and something in this sequence caused all of my songs to be recognized by AppleTV. ????

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Make sure your apple TV is updated to 2.1

Go into the playlists where some songs are not streaming, make sure all the songs are checked.

In iTunes, switch back and forth from custom and automatic sync a time or two and "apply" each change. I did this and something in this sequence caused all of my songs to be recognized by AppleTV. ????

AppleTV is up to date with 2.1
All of my songs are checked
I will play around with itunes and see if your recommendation helps.

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I tried various settings within iTunes, with no luck. I unchecked all of my songs and synced with the AppleTV to "erase" the streaming from AppleTV, I then rechecked all the songs and synced with AppleTV and am still having problems.
I find it odd that its the same songs that won't play on AppleTV. You would think if it was a network problem it would be different songs each time that would randomly not play.

I am stumped.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Are these songs you downloaded? If so, are they downloaded from a source other than iTunes?

Do you own the CD? If so, what are your ripping settings in iTunes?

It looks like the files are incompatible with the AppleTV. Do they have the same extension as the files you can play?

When you look at the properties/Get Info for, say, 1 file that will and 1 file that won't play, does the finder tell you the same kind of info about them? What about in iTunes? Ripped at the same bitrate? Same codec?

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Are these songs you downloaded? If so, are they downloaded from a source other than iTunes?

Do you own the CD? If so, what are your ripping settings in iTunes?

It looks like the files are incompatible with the AppleTV. Do they have the same extension as the files you can play?

When you look at the properties/Get Info for, say, 1 file that will and 1 file that won't play, does the finder tell you the same kind of info about them? What about in iTunes? Ripped at the same bitrate? Same codec?

I was thinking along the same lines as you were last night. I thought it was strange that if it were a network problem the exact same files weren't working. I decided to rerip some of my cds that were giving me problems through AppleTV and.......it works!!!!
Everything works as it should right now. Its funny because everything worked perfectly fine using my two APXs and computer before I got the AppleTV. For some reason there was something in the encoding process of some of my albums that the AppleTV didn't like.

Anyway, thanks everyone for their input. Everything is working great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.