Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bms259

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
So I just got a new MB, and am attempting to transfer files via an ethernet cable. Mostly iTunes and documents. I spent most of the afternoon trying to connect it w/basically no success. It connected once, and I started to transfer my iTunes, and when I came back, it was disconnected. I have no clue what I did to get it to connect that time, but every other time I try I get "a volume failed to mount" message.

I might be putting in the wrong sharename. I type the name of my dell (running vista). IP address is right.

Thanks for the help. Its greatly appreciated.

bms259

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
I came across a thread from awhile ago that might help...I'm trying it now...

bms259

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
To be perfectly honest...I have no idea what I did to get it to work. I was just messing with stuff for quite a while. I'm about 95% sure that it was something with my other computer. I didn't really change anything on the mac. Sorry...

spikes5writer

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
Got it

Well, I tried connecting to my pc (WinXP) by typing smb://ipaddress and nothing else. Then I got the popup box asking me which volume to load (shared docs, in my case), and away I went after verifying username & password.

I also had to ensure that my firewall settings on the pc were set to have exceptions to the Mac's IP address.

Windows Firewall - Exceptions - File and Printer Sharing - Edit - Change Scope - Custom list (enter the other computer's IP addy). Do that for each service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.