Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Apr 3, 2008, 06:37 AM   #1
punkeb
macrumors member

Uninstalling Parallels and Virtual Machine?

I had Parallels installed on my Mac and a Virtual Machine set up. I then installed Fusion and made a Virtual Machine with it. I am MUCH happier with Fusion!!! How do I uninstall Parallels AND the Virtual Machine associated with it? When doing this, my Fusion and its Virtual Machine will be ok, right?
Thanks much
punkeb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 07:14 AM   #2
stomer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stomer
The uninstaller for Parallels is found in the dmg image available on Parallels' web site.
stomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 07:21 AM   #3
punkeb
macrumors member

Thanks, will that uninstall my virtual machine with Parallels as well but leave the Fusion Virtual Machine ok?
Old Apr 3, 2008, 07:31 AM   #4
stomer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stomer
It'll remove the Parallels application from your machine, but it won't delete your Parallels virtual machine. You'll have to do that yourself. The VMs are usually found in ~/Documents/Parallels/

Uninstalling Parallels will not affect your VMware installation or VMware VMs.
stomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 07:56 AM   #5
nikopolidis
macrumors regular

And why did you decide to uninstall Parallels Desktop?
I didn't have such intentions while using this app..
Anyway, I think this Parallels Forum page might help you.
nikopolidis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 03:26 PM   #6
punkeb
macrumors member

I hae found Fusion to be much faster and easier to use than Parallels and don't want to have them both on my mac.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:13 AM   #7
stefman2
macrumors newbie

Removing Parallels

That information was extremely useful: I had an older version of Parallels that caused kernel panics every time it was launched after I upgraded my OS. Further, all attempts to replace it by a newer version failed, with error messages saying that the installation could not be completed while the virtual machine was still running, and that I needed to launch Parallels to stop the VM. As launching Parallels immediately caused a kernel panic, I was in a Catch-22 situation.

I searched the Parallels knowledge base to no avail and thought about contacting Parallels support, but apparently they charge for customer support and I did not feel inclined to pay them for a problem associated with their software. Using your information, I have now removed the last vestiges of that program from my computer. Thank you

I intend installing Fusion at this point.
stefman2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac