Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Nov 7, 2003, 07:33 PM   #1
SlowX
macrumors member

WMA to MP3 or other w/o losses?

I'm just curiouss:
Is there any way, even in theory, that a song encoded in WMA could be converted w/ good if not equal sound quality into MP3 or AAC? Or are the losses in one format such that they'd just be increased when converted (i.e. going from GIF to JPEG)?

Obviously, if such a utility could exist, that's sure make alot of the WMA talk moot.
SlowX is offline   0
Old Nov 7, 2003, 08:00 PM   #2
whocares
macrumors 65816

You're basically loosing information (lossy compression) on an audio file that has already lost lots of information (WMA). So I guess the answer is no. Your best bet would be to re-incode into the highest bit rate AAC to loose the minimum amount of data, but that would be counter productive (lower quality w/ higher file size).

And though I know next to nothing in audio compressoin, there may also be artefacts due to "interferences" between both compression algorithms.

IIRC there have been a few threads on this topic. Try and search the forums for more information/debate

I'm guessing you want to import your WMA files into iTunes... The best solution is to re-rip the CDs. Sorry dude...
whocares is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion