Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KhuntienNang

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
is there a way to track an iphone down?

i was in the subway, reading an ebook on my iphone. and a guy suddenly just snatched my iphone away as the subway door opened to the next stop. i tried to run after him, but he got away. it just happened about an hour ago, and it still has my sim card, and i havent deactivate my phone number yet. is there anyway i could track it down?

KhuntienNang

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
i am using tmobile :(

im calling tmobile now

but other than that, is there anyway to track it?

Justinerator

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
You should talk to ravikc. :D

On a serious note, I am really sorry that happened. All you can do is file a police report and go to the apple store to report it stolen. That way, in case the serial number pops up when he tries registering it or using it on a wifi network, Apple could notify you. Besides that, there is nothing else you can do... :(

KhuntienNang

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
i know, i just saw the thread about him finding iphone
and i just had it for less than 2 months, and now i lost it. :(

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
sorry to hear that =/ you won't ever get that iphone back, I hope I don't fall into the same trouble when I'm on the subway

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Where in the world are you that something like that happens?
Gosh I'm jaded!

You need to call your carrier though, asap. I'm sorry that happened.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
whoa, that sucks! have you tried calling your number to see if the guy picks up? did you get a good look at him, maybe you can file a police report? :eek:

KhuntienNang

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
im in nyc :(
and the subway was crowded too. i ran after him until 1-2 block away from the subway exit. i just hurt myself the other day and couldnt really run fast. so i finally i went back to the subway to ask the staff to call nypd. the cops did bring me around, but of course we couldnt get the thief. :(

i havent canceled my number, because im hoping maybe i can track it down if the number is still active. but i guess i should cancel it now huh.

KhuntienNang

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
whoa, that sucks! have you tried calling your number to see if the guy picks up? did you get a good look at him, maybe you can file a police report? :eek:
of course. the cop even tried calling it too (who happen to have an iphone himself :eek: ). but of course nobody picked it up.

now im calling it, it goes right to my voice mail.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Chances are that the thief will try to sell the phone. I would give it about 48 hours, then try calling it again because if it sells, the buyer might not know that. Then you would be able to get information from the buyer about the thief. Maybe this is dumb, but it's just what came to my head while reading this.

EarthDawn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Long-eye Land, NY
Also check your Tmobile account online and review the calls made and see if there are any outgoing calls and note the #'s ..... especially if those #'s then match incoming calls after that.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Subway in NYC?? And you were unlocked on t-mobile??

Boom. Gone. Sorry to say, but you'll never see that thing again.

Let this tough lesson be a reminder to everyone to be aware of your surroundings when you've got your iPhone out in the open.

Personally, if I had an iPhone I wouldn't pull it out in the subway.

KhuntienNang

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
i have suspended my number through tmobile now. so i guess nobody can use or call it anymore. i checked my tmobile account online, but there is no record on any outgoing or incoming call at this time yet, the latest record i found is until 3/19, which is my usual billing cycle.

tmobile rep said i can't track it down. also called apple support, but they can't track it either (he said "not anymore", so does it mean you could do that before?). is there any way to 'suspend' the iphone too by the imei?

i still have my receipt, which includes part number, serial number, etc. how can i make use of that information that i have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.