Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mohmandm

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
east lansing
I am using my buddy's macbook and trying to mount my powerbook computers. My computer hasn't been able to restart. I have the kernel panic and I am trying to migrate my files over and then reinstall the operating system. I restarted with "t" and I see the firewire symbol on my computer but the hard drive is not showing up on my buddy's. Do you guys have any clue how I can get this to mount? Thanks in advance for the help.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
PowerPC Macs cannot access the GUID Partition Table of an Intel Mac. You're going to need another Intel Mac or play around with MacDrive or HFSExplorer on a PC.

mohmandm

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
east lansing
PowerPC Macs cannot access the GUID Partition Table of an Intel Mac. You're going to need another Intel Mac or play around with MacDrive or HFSExplorer on a PC.

So I should just find someone who has another powerbook is what you're saying? Another quick question... If the firewire icon shows up, does that mean it should work?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Sorry I thought it was Intel Macbook (Target Disk Mode) to PowerBook G4 (Host).

Check Disk Utility to see if it even sees the disk connected via FireWire. If the FireWire icon shows up on the PowerBook then it's in Target Disk Mode. It should be accessible from the outside unless the port or drive are dead.

mohmandm

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
east lansing
The powerbook is the one that is being mounted. So I am using the MacBook as the computer that is going to hold all the files. It says firewire external disk is hooked up when I open disk utility. So how do I access the files?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The powerbook is the one that is being mounted. So I am using the MacBook as the computer that is going to hold all the files. It says firewire external disk is hooked up when I open disk utility. So how do I access the files?
Is the volume mounted or grayed out in Disk Utility? Is Finder set to show External Drives in the desktop or side bar? Is the volume's name visible in /Volumes?

mohmandm

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
east lansing
Is the volume mounted or grayed out in Disk Utility? Is Finder set to show External Drives in the desktop or side bar? Is the volume's name visible in /Volumes?

I believe it is mounted. There is an option to eject when I highlight it. I just edited this... Under finder preferences, external drives is checked. And I'm not sure where the "Volumes" area is located to see if it is visible. I restarted the computer again and now there is the hard drive "55.9 GB" under disk utility and then under it tabbed over it says "Macintosh HD." That one is not mounted. I tried to mount it and it says try running first aid and then remount. I did run that with an install disc a couple of weeks ago. I hope this helps a little.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.