Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kittiyut

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
What would be the best way to apply back the clone created by Carbon Copy or Super Duper to Mac Pro

1. Boot from Mac Pro and then restore from the clone, or
2. Boot from the clone and then restore

Any opinions along with your reasoning would be greatly appreciated :cool:

Soop53

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
Ohio
I used CC without a hitch. It cloned my original HD to the Sammy F1 750. I currently use the 750 as my boot drive and the original HD for time machine for now. No problems.

CC was extremely easy to use.

kudukudu

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
I haved used both CCC and super super. While they both work, I prefer super duper. It has a slightly more user friendly interface, but it is still packed with lots of different options if you have some specialized requirements for your backups strategy.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
And to actually answer the question

What would be the best way to apply back the clone created by Carbon Copy or Super Duper to Mac Pro

1. Boot from Mac Pro and then restore from the clone, or
2. Boot from the clone and then restore

Any opinions along with your reasoning would be greatly appreciated :cool:

2.) Boot from the clone and then restore

Number 1 won't work unless you are cloning to a separate disk inside your Mac Pro. The reason for this is that it can't clone over the drive you are booted from.

With systems where there is only 1 internal drive option 2 is the only choice and I have done it many a time and it has worked perfectly.

kittiyut

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
And to actually answer the question

2.) Boot from the clone and then restore

Number 1 won't work unless you are cloning to a separate disk inside your Mac Pro. The reason for this is that it can't clone over the drive you are booted from.

With systems where there is only 1 internal drive option 2 is the only choice and I have done it many a time and it has worked perfectly.

Thanks, I was wondering when somebody was going to "answer" the question!!?

I got the answer earlier from SuperDuper's tech support. They basically told me the same thing as you did.

It worked perfectly for me. I'm doing it to "defrag" my HD. It does seem a bit faster starting up!

BTW, do you know whether there should be any difference between the clones created by CCC and SuperDuper?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.