Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
I'm leaving for China tomorrow and want to use my phone as a 'watch' and alarm clock.

I am planning on turning Data Roaming off so I don't get data roaming charges.

Do I also have to put the phone in Airplane Mode? If I don't will it ring every time someone in the states calls me? Will I be charged?

Cheers.

fedup flyer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
I'm leaving for China tomorrow and want to use my phone as a 'watch' and alarm clock.

I am planning on turning Data Roaming off so I don't get data roaming charges.

Do I also have to put the phone in Airplane Mode? If I don't will it ring every time someone in the states calls me? Will I be charged?

Cheers.

You can add the int'l roaming for $25 for 20 mb. You don't need to put it in airplane mode. Just don't answer the calls. So far when I decline the calls, I have not been charged for it. Not sure about visual voice mail yet though. Depending on where you are in China, the phone time may not reset with the local sim towers. My phone resets perfectly in Shanghai but not in Shenzen. If you dont want the phone to ring at all, just leave it in airplane mode but that seems like kinda of a waste to use your phone as an expensive clock.

mstnggt66

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2008
I've traveled internationally with my iphone to Europe and China. Turning off the data roaming definitely works and stops all data flow. I would just turn the roaming off and forget the data plan. Not sure if you can remove the data plan once you add it.

You won't get charged for phone calls until you make or receive a call. Be careful though, if someone calls you and leaves a voicemail. You get charged airtime for the ringing and the length of the message.

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Thanks for the advice.

it's too bad you can't use wi-fi in airplane mode. that way you could still browse the web/check email, but the edge and cell functions would be disabled.

essentially i want my phone to become an ipod touch while in china...

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
I've traveled internationally with my iphone to Europe and China. Turning off the data roaming definitely works and stops all data flow. I would just turn the roaming off and forget the data plan. Not sure if you can remove the data plan once you add it.

You won't get charged for phone calls until you make or receive a call. Be careful though, if someone calls you and leaves a voicemail. You get charged airtime for the ringing and the length of the message.

Hang on, so he will get charged if someone leaves him a voice message! Thats rediculous! :eek:

Phone comanies will go to any length to get your cash these days, wont they...

To the OP: Get a cheap Chinese knock-off phone for temparary use. In fact, any crappy cheap Chese phone will do, just put a local SIM in and get chanrged local rates then when you come back play some phone football :D

fedup flyer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
To the OP: Get a cheap Chinese knock-off phone for temparary use. In fact, any crappy cheap Chese phone will do, just put a local SIM in and get chanrged local rates then when you come back play some phone football :D

Cheap Chinese knockoff phones aren't as cheap as you think...actually they are quite expensive. Trust me...I know.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Why not just JB & Unlock, use a chinese sim
return to USA, virginize and reactivate

simple enough

mstnggt66

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2008
Good luck finding someone that speaks English well enough to sell you a SIM card. I know, I'm in China right now.

Yes, if someone calls and leaves you a VM, you get charged airtime. The good news is it requires a lot of work by the caller to leave a VM. When you call a AT&T subscriber who has their phone turned on overseas, it makes you enter the phone number again to access the VM box. And these days, who remembers phone numbers?

That said, I was really happy to see the roaming data switch works as advertised.

fedup flyer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
When you call a AT&T subscriber who has their phone turned on overseas, it makes you enter the phone number again to access the VM box.

You must have something wrong with your voice mail. I have had several people call and they never metioned such. I have even occasionally called my phone from Skype to find it in the hotel room and it has never asked for my # for the voice mail box.

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
I didn't really think this one through...

I should have just brought my extra BlackBerry from home (which can be unlocked) and put in a local SIM.

My company has people that could arrange for the local SIM...

I'm a little hesitant to unlock the iPhone - I don't really know how to do it or how safe (reversible) it is...

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Its very easy and it is easily reversable (its called verginization or something like that) and its safe too, no one has perminatly damaged their iPhones by jailbreaking/unlocking.

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
i read a thread about the pwnage tool. it didnt seem that straightforward - it seems you have to go to different sites and download different firmwares or basebands or something...

people are also reporting strange issues after using it.

i just want to unlock so i can use a chinese sim...but i dont want to mess anything up in the meantime.

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Unlocked using the pwnage tool this morning and am now using a local chinese SIM card.

So far so good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.