Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Apr 5, 2008, 07:42 PM   #1
supercooled
macrumors 6502a

How noisy are the 1.66 Mini?

I'm looking into getting a 1.66 Mini to run some applications in a 24/7 mode. Is it possible to run this thing in passive mode or at least change the fan to a larger/quieter fan? I hear the Minis are pretty loud when it gets going and this worries me because I plan on running it to download/stream media to the network.

Thanks
Old Apr 5, 2008, 07:57 PM   #2
iPhil
macrumors 68030

Location: A$$hat free location,and helping Mac bring back teh sexy-ness era back
Send a message via AIM to iPhil
Both of my fans that i have running are louder than 1.66Core Duo mini fan ... yes my mini is on 24/7...
iPhil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:29 PM   #3
VoodooDaddy
macrumors 65816

I had a mini for almost 2yrs, thing was whisper quiet from day 1. Never got louder like some things do over time (xbox360). A few ppl have had fan issues with the mini, but those are definitely the minority.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 12:05 AM   #4
SevenInchScrew
macrumors 6502a

It really depends on what you're doing with them. I have a 1.66 Mini, and for the most part, yes, its very quiet. But, at times it can get a little loud. Its mostly related to graphically intensive stuff. I'll show you what I mean, with some help from iStat Menus...

Right now, just browsing the web and stuff, its almost dead silent. The fans are barely moving.

But, if I start watching an HD video of any kind, be it a trailer or a podcast, the fan will kick up a bit.

But, what really gets it going is anything that uses the OS effects heavily. The one that I see all the time is when flipping through iTunes in Cover Flow view. Here is what happens after just one pass through my albums, at a moderate pace, like I would if I was looking for something to listen to...

Now, the thing to keep in mind is, if you have anything AT ALL going on in the room where the Mini is, you will hardly notice this sound. Even at almost 5,000rpm. I'm watching SNL right now, at a slightly low volume, and I can't even hear the Mini. But, if its quiet, you will hear it. Its not bad, and it goes back down quickly.

I think its more of a preventative thing than anything. Its like the OS knows that these effects are hard on the CPU/GPU, and kicks the fan up quickly to keep the heat down. Then, after the effects stop, the fan can quickly go back down. After flipping through iTunes like that, my temps actually go DOWN, because the fan goes so fast.

But overall, like I said, its hardly noticeable. Unless you only use your machine in a dead silent environment, you might never even notice the noise. Media streaming shouldn't be a problem. Playback of HD material might a bit. But, if you are just going to use it to send media around the network, no problem.
in the Great Below.
SevenInchScrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:03 AM   #5
stukdog
macrumors 6502

The minis, even at fans full speed, aren't too loud at all. (Believe me, I work in a room with 400 of them.)

To make sure the sound is even more minimal, be sure to get them in a location with good ventilation and a cool, heat absorbing surface for them to sit on.

Also, get that RAM nice and high to minimize writing to the disk.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:42 AM   #6
supercooled
macrumors 6502a

Good advice but the sod who was selling it has sold it so I'm looking to purchase a new one hoping it is released very soon.

Thanks for the detailed response, SevenInchScrew.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Silent until the fans hit 3000 RPM. They never hit that unless you're at full load.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:44 AM   #8
brad.c
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by stukdog View Post
The minis, even at fans full speed, aren't too loud at all. (Believe me, I work in a room with 400 of them.)
Wow. Bet you have some great rack-mounting ideas.

I use a mini as a media server in my living room, and have never heard it aside from when the media drive spins up.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini