Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Apr 6, 2008, 05:58 AM   #1
stringtheorist
macrumors regular

Internet browsing slower than PC!

I've been running 10.5.2 with Leopard for a few days and my browsing speed has become noticeably slower than it was with my cranky old PC!. This is very disappointing as I really expected the Mac's higher spec would improve not diminish my browsing experience. I know there's not much I can do about the speed of my local exchange (I have a DSL connection) but is there any way to make Firefox and/or Safari run faster on my system?
stringtheorist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 06:01 AM   #2
Cromulent
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringtheorist View Post
I've been running 10.5.2 with Leopard for a few days and my browsing speed has become noticeably slower than it was with my cranky old PC!. This is very disappointing as I really expected the Mac's higher spec would improve not diminish my browsing experience. I know there's not much I can do about the speed of my local exchange (I have a DSL connection) but is there any way to make Firefox and/or Safari run faster on my system?
Are you running the latest version of Safari (3.1)?
Cromulent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 06:26 AM   #3
stringtheorist
macrumors regular

Yes, and the latest version of Firefox.
stringtheorist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 06:39 AM   #4
Cromulent
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringtheorist View Post
Yes, and the latest version of Firefox.
Hmm, some bittorrent clients cause problems with Mac OS X for some reason are you using any P2P apps?
Cromulent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 06:54 AM   #5
blackscooby
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to blackscooby Send a message via MSN to blackscooby
To be honest I feel that browsing with Safari is slower in Leopard than it was in Tiger. Safari seems to wait for the external drives to spin up before displaying the page. VERY VERY annoying.

I'm using Safari 3.1 too.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 07:41 AM   #6
clevin
macrumors G3

firefox 3 beta 5 should be significantly faster than version 2, if you haven't try it out.
clevin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:02 AM   #7
phenixbleu
macrumors member

Try resetting safari

Try resetting safari, and clearing out firefox cache.
phenixbleu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 01:31 PM   #8
GotPro
macrumors 6502

resetting safari will cure this over-time-degradation.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 01:37 PM   #9
mac-convert
macrumors 6502a

So, if I choose Reset Safari, what exactly gets reset - what do I lose? Would links, cookies, etc., get wiped out?

Would Empty Cache speed things up or just get back some disk space?
mac-convert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 02:20 PM   #10
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-convert View Post
So, if I choose Reset Safari, what exactly gets reset - what do I lose?
Choose that menu item and see for yourself. Seriously, do it...the "" in a menu item means that selecting it will bring up a dialog of some sort where you have to make choices, and that nothing will happen immediately. Empty Cache will slow things down, because anything that was in the cache will have to be downloaded again. (Although my one real complaint about Safari is that it tends not to use the cache as much as it should, as compared to Firefox for example, and there's no way to set its size.)

Anyway, it's highly unlikely that Safari is actually slower; the problem is elsewhere. You can try setting your DNS servers to something, like the OpenDNS servers.

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 03:30 PM   #11
-::ubermann::-
macrumors regular

if you are running flash animations, macs are slower
(a reason i don't understand why are they liked by graphic designers)
-::ubermann::- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 05:08 PM   #12
mac-convert
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5h5 View Post
do it...the "" in a menu item means that selecting it will bring up a dialog of some sort...
--Eric
Duh - thanks for pointing that out. Sometimes we don't see what we are looking at.

Cheers
mac-convert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 05:35 PM   #13
Amdahl
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotPro View Post
resetting safari will cure this over-time-degradation.
Or, use the formula for defragmenting your Safari cache (for 10.5 only). You only have to do this once, if you wait until the cache reaches the maximum 180MB in size.

Quote:
PLEASE NOTE :::: THE SINGLE QUOTES on THECACHE line are from the quote on the tilde(~) key to the left of the number 1 key. You must use the correct quote! The double quotes around Cache.db are the usual double quote from pressing Shift with the key to the immediate left of your Return/Enter key. Or, just cut & paste!

cd ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari
cp -Rp Cache.db Cache.db2
mv Cache.db2 Cache.db
cd /private/var/folders
THECACHE=`find . -iname "Cache.db" |grep Safari|head -n1`
cp -Rp $THECACHE ~/Cache.db2
mv ~/Cache.db2 $THECACHE

You'll get some permission denied from find. Don't mind them.
ONLY FOR 10.5! Safari on 10.4 has a different cache structure. If you have other user accounts, log out and back in as each account and repeat.
Amdahl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 06:24 PM   #14
richard.mac
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
try flushing your DNS cache this solved a Safari browsing problem for me a while ago. type this command into Terminal and press enter.

Code:
dscacheutil -flushcache
Old Apr 7, 2008, 09:25 PM   #15
Amdahl
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscooby View Post
To be honest I feel that browsing with Safari is slower in Leopard than it was in Tiger. Safari seems to wait for the external drives to spin up before displaying the page. VERY VERY annoying.

I'm using Safari 3.1 too.
I have also thought it seemed a little bit slower. So, I hooked a 10.5 external drive to my 10.4 blackbook and tried it out. After Spotlight was done doing junk, Safari seemed to load pages just about as fast as it felt on 10.4. What I did notice is that the refresh rate of the graphics seems lower in 10.5 than on 10.4. This might be the cause for 'feeling' that Leopard is 'less snappy' than Tiger. The user interface may not be running at as high a priority or refresh rate under 10.5. This may be a side effect of the overhaul done on the kernel to handle multicore properly. More horsepower, but lower top speed. BSD & especially Linux often play tug-of-war over where the balance should be.

Considering it took until February 11 to get the GUI effects & graphic drivers straightened out, there is a chance some of this will be 'fixed' in 5.3 or 5.4. Whatever the system is doing at 5.4 is probably the best it will ever be in Leopard.
Amdahl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 04:16 AM   #16
Saliwa
macrumors member

It is slower certainly because of website that have Flash banners in them. Playing Flash is really not optimized on Macs, although these very same Flash banners have been created on Macs

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X