Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janitorC7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
California
Okay, I'm trying to think of a way to do this....

Is there a hack to raise the resolution on my macbook past the system limits? I'm thinking that this may be possible because of resolution independence in leopard.

I know that there was a way to scale the resolution though terminal back in tiger, but I tried that in Leopard and it messed up my computer.

Thanks
JanitorC7

gullaa

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
There may be a way to bypass it..i am not sure..but it would not help...because leopard limits the screen resolution because any resolution higher then listed is not supported on the mac book lcd panel, so even if you manage to bypass it, you will not get u picture on your screen.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
heatmiser said:
You can test resolution independence without the dev tools if you use the Terminal:

"defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor x"

where "x" = a percentage of your choice. Values of x > 1 will make things bigger; values of x < 1 will make things smaller. For example, if you're on a Macbook (1280x800) and wish to simulate 1440x900 resolution, set up a proportion, where 1440/1280 = 1/x. x =~.89, so plug in .89 into the above terminal line.

You have to reopen an application to see the effects. This also works in Tiger, but the Finder and other applications look much better (more cohesive) in Leopard. To return things to normal, enter a value of 1 for x. I currently have my Macbook set to .89 (a 1440x900 screen in a 13" package is great). Some apps, like Minefield, look wretched with this feature on, so I open them at x=1 before changing the value in the Terminal.

The UI still has some issues, and certain apps react badly to it (Minefield, Azureus, Office '08), so I've stuck with the default dpi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.