Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheekybobcat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
U-S of A
I just found the upgrade on my external hard drive and put it onto my regular computer. How do I install the apps onto my iPod now though? I've tried to double-click it but it just opens iTunes. I've also tried to drag the file into my iPod drop down menu in iTunes but it says that the file cannot be copied because it cannot be played. Any help?
I also just tried importing the file via File>Import but that didn't work either....

cheekybobcat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
U-S of A
I have 1.1.4 and you don't have to jailbreak....
I have the January Software Upgrade (1.1.3) with the mail and notes and such...
I just don't know how to install the app pack I have onto my iPod via iTunes...

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Hello Cheekybobcat,

I think Krafty was referring to applications installed through installer on the iPod touch, and yes, you need to jailbreak for that. However looking at your query, you are referring to not being able to install the January Software upgrade applications you have paid for? - if this is the case:

1. You need 1.1.3+ for the applications to function
2. You need to check you still have the .ipa file located in:

~ (Mac HD) /Library/iTunes/Mobile Applications/iPod touch App Pack 4A93.ipa

If this file is there, all you need to do as a user to install the applications onto your iPod touch, is to sync the device with iTunes, by clicking 'Sync' on the iPod summary tab, when the device is connected.

You also need to make sure 'Manually Manage Music' is unchecked for this process.

You should see a brief notification in the sync status bar stating 'Syncing Applications to iPod Name Here'.

Hope this helps
R-Fly

cheekybobcat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
U-S of A
I got it. A little call with Apple solved everything :)
If anyone else has/had the same problem, heres all you gotta do:
Just uncheck the manually manage music and videos and re-sync. All your music will be deleted but you can just re-sync after you get the apps back on.
*edit* sorry, razorianfly. i was typing while you must have finished your message. Your suggestion was the answer though, I just got it from Apple. Thanks for your help though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.