Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:24 AM   #1
dmchapman
macrumors newbie

Charging 3G nano with non-apple USB charger

Got my dad a 3G nano for his 60th birthday (he loves it!) and he recently bought himself an "Ipod charger" so that he can charge it up when he is away without having to take his computer.

When you plug the nano in it lights up but doesn't appear to charge. It charges fine when plugged into the computer but appears to not like the the USB charger. Is this normal? Have apple done something to ensure you buy their 20 quid USB charger? :-(

The exact charger he has is http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...=L11BR&DOY=6m4 - any reason this wouldn't work?

I did wonder if it required 12v or something but looking at the USB spec it doesn't seem to offer anything other than 5v so if that was the case it wouldn't charge from the PC either :-(

If this is something evil that apple are doing does anyone know if that charger will have a similar problem with my 1G nano?

Thanks,

Darren
dmchapman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 11:28 AM   #2
techlover828
macrumors 68020

well, this doesn't really answer your question, but just to clear up part of it, USB uses 5V and the old chargers that used firewire (3G and Older) use 12V, so, for example, my 3G ipod won't charge while syncing.

I don't really know what's wrong with yours though
techlover828 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod