Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mo Tiggas

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Oregon, USA
Looking for a good wireless N router to hook up to my comcast connection. Nothing fancy, and apple's router might be a little much for me. What are people using? Hoping to spend $75, but I'm flexible either way... Thanks

rolex54

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Houston, TX
airport extreme
trust me dude, its worth it
its never gone down once in over 10 months
much better than my WRT54G which needed to be unplugged every 10 min

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Using a trusty Linksys WRT54G - Still on 802.11G. I have delayed buying a time capsule because of the problems they are having communicating to Xbox 360s.

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
That's a good price on the DIR-655 at newegg. I was only pointing you to the D-link web site so you could see what I was referring to. What impressed me was the foldout inside the box that showed specifically what to do if you have a Comcast connection - how to hook up, what to turn off/on first so the D-Link got the info it needed. I was up and running in minutes.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Netgear. IDK the model, but always had good experience with Netgear routers. And you can definitely get one for under $75. Think the one I have cost me about $30 on sale at Frys.

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
I have 3 AEBS configured for 5GHz N Extended Network using wide channel and a 4th AEBS to bridge backward compatible B/G/N 2.4GHz. Makes for pretty sick wireless bandwidth.

hartwork

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2007
Sydney, Australia
airport extreme
trust me dude, its worth it
its never gone down once in over 10 months
much better than my WRT54G which needed to be unplugged every 10 min

I also use an Airport Extreme but every couple of months I have to switch if off and on again because the data hangs for whatever reason. Other than that, it's good.

Of all the wireless routers I've used, it's by far the easiest to configure.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
I suggest you get a Belkin N router, they may be a little expensive but are extremely reliable, and provide very good signal strength. In the office i have three WRTG54s on the same SSID all for domain login, and server internet access, and they work perfectly...

ichiban

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2008
AEBS N + Gigabit, got it free from Apple. Otherwise I would have one of the standards: Linksys, DLink, Netgear in that order.

random818

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
wrt54g v5 with a dd-wrt firmware... This router worked flawlessly for 2+ years. Its only been this past a couple of weeks where it acted up and I looked for fixes such as 3rd party firmware.

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
I had the linksys WRT54G. It has now been replaced by the airport extreme and I couldn't be happier.

I'm with you. My Linksys WRT54G constantly lost connection and wouldn't reset itself. I purchased the AEBS with 802.11N for $126 shipped from ebay (new) and could be happier and it also solved my printing problems. If my high speed broadband goes out and then back on, my AEBS automatically resets itself.

phannon666

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
Bucks, UK
How well does Airport Extreme work with xbox 360? I'm talking specifically about NAT type.

I currently use a BT Homehub with my X360 and MBP, no probs with the mac but every now and again the home hub decides to allocate the X360 a new IP even though I've told it otherwise, thus is assigns xbox live application to another device and the X360's NAT type goes back to strict, sucks balls when playing Halo with mates, sometimes it prevents matchmaking and joining parties. This is the only way to force the NAT type to be open with the homehub which sucks and blows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.