Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:13 AM   #1
arnoota
macrumors newbie

Creating Passport Size Photos Photos

I've been trying to figure out how to crop a regular photo taken with my digital camera down to a 2x2 passport size photo. Everything I've found in the forums suggests ways I can change printing options, but since I'll be sending the photo out digitally, I'd like to know how to save the image in this size. I don't have Photoshop (except for PS Express), and when i use iPhoto's "Custom Size" option to set it to 2x2, it looks to me like it's still in a rectangular shape. When I save it as a "Square" it turns into a square, but a square that fills the page. Are there any other options that I have? Thank you for any advice!
arnoota is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:33 AM   #2
Moof1904
macrumors 6502a

I've never used PS Express so I don't know its capabilities. You might have better luck using Preview to crop and resize the image than iPhoto. Export the full size image from iPhoto and mess with it in Preview.
Moof1904 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:50 PM   #3
blodwyn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoota View Post
I've been trying to figure out how to crop a regular photo taken with my digital camera down to a 2x2 passport size photo. Everything I've found in the forums suggests ways I can change printing options, but since I'll be sending the photo out digitally, I'd like to know how to save the image in this size. I don't have Photoshop (except for PS Express), and when i use iPhoto's "Custom Size" option to set it to 2x2, it looks to me like it's still in a rectangular shape. When I save it as a "Square" it turns into a square, but a square that fills the page. Are there any other options that I have? Thank you for any advice!
My solution was to crop the image to a square, forgetting about size for a moment, just concentrating on getting the image framed properly as per the passport guidelines.

Then I pasted the image into a blank Keynote page (this also works with Powerpoint). Turn on the rulers if they're not already visible, and resize the image to measure 2"x2" on the rulers. Then print to photo paper as usual. Surprisingly or maybe unsurprisingly, the print you get is an image measuring 2"x2".
blodwyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:53 PM   #4
ergdegdeg
Moderator emeritus

Once you cropped it to a sqaure in Preview, use Tools >> Adjust Size to well, adjust the size.
ergdegdeg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 08:48 AM   #5
arnoota
macrumors newbie

Thank you! That worked well!
arnoota is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:03 AM   #6
newmbp
macrumors newbie

How to format multiple passport sizes on a single paper?

Hi,
This was a very useful discussion to format/crop the image to 2" x 2" passport size. Does anyone know how can I arrange multiple 2x2 thumbnails on a single photo paper? So I don't have to take many printouts for multiple passport photos.
Thanks!
Mihir
newmbp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:11 AM   #7
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

http://www.epassportphoto.com/

I used this online tool to crop and print my passports photo. Worked just fine.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 02:28 PM   #8
tigerscorpion
macrumors newbie

not working for me

I tried resizing the square image in preview to 2" but it continues to print 2.75" square??? iphoto isn't helping...new to the Mac and frustrated.
MIKE
tigerscorpion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:01 AM   #9
ericrwalker
Banned

I did my passport recently and used the tool provided by the US Passport site.

http://travel.state.gov/_res/flash/c..._cropper.html#
ericrwalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store