Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arnoota

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
I've been trying to figure out how to crop a regular photo taken with my digital camera down to a 2x2 passport size photo. Everything I've found in the forums suggests ways I can change printing options, but since I'll be sending the photo out digitally, I'd like to know how to save the image in this size. I don't have Photoshop (except for PS Express), and when i use iPhoto's "Custom Size" option to set it to 2x2, it looks to me like it's still in a rectangular shape. When I save it as a "Square" it turns into a square, but a square that fills the page. Are there any other options that I have? Thank you for any advice!

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
I've never used PS Express so I don't know its capabilities. You might have better luck using Preview to crop and resize the image than iPhoto. Export the full size image from iPhoto and mess with it in Preview.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I've been trying to figure out how to crop a regular photo taken with my digital camera down to a 2x2 passport size photo. Everything I've found in the forums suggests ways I can change printing options, but since I'll be sending the photo out digitally, I'd like to know how to save the image in this size. I don't have Photoshop (except for PS Express), and when i use iPhoto's "Custom Size" option to set it to 2x2, it looks to me like it's still in a rectangular shape. When I save it as a "Square" it turns into a square, but a square that fills the page. Are there any other options that I have? Thank you for any advice!

My solution was to crop the image to a square, forgetting about size for a moment, just concentrating on getting the image framed properly as per the passport guidelines.

Then I pasted the image into a blank Keynote page (this also works with Powerpoint). Turn on the rulers if they're not already visible, and resize the image to measure 2"x2" on the rulers. Then print to photo paper as usual. Surprisingly or maybe unsurprisingly, the print you get is an image measuring 2"x2".

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
Once you cropped it to a sqaure in Preview, use Tools >> Adjust Size to well, adjust the size.

newmbp

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
How to format multiple passport sizes on a single paper?

Hi,
This was a very useful discussion to format/crop the image to 2" x 2" passport size. Does anyone know how can I arrange multiple 2x2 thumbnails on a single photo paper? So I don't have to take many printouts for multiple passport photos.
Thanks!
Mihir

tigerscorpion

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2010
santa cruz
not working for me

I tried resizing the square image in preview to 2" but it continues to print 2.75" square??? iphoto isn't helping...new to the Mac and frustrated.
MIKE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.