Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madforrit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Berkeley, CA
Hi everyone,

I'm asking for help here because I've heard of all sorts of problems when people have been mixing Apple and 3rd party RAM in the G5s. I want to make sure the RAM I get doesn't cause problems and result in the loss of the Apple RAM, or the new RAM for that matter.

I want to add 1GB to my dual (2 512s), for a grand total of 1.5 GB. I've also got a 9800 in there.

I'm considering Crucial ($180ish), OWC ($200ish), MacSolutions ($170ish), and 1800-4-Memory ($170ish).

Anyone have experience with these vendors and their G5s? I actually bought RAM from all of them before, so I'm not worried about the vendor...more about their RAM + a G5.

Thanks for the help! :)

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Crucial.com will be by far your safest choice. They make their own RAM (owned by Micron), and it's guaranteed to work on your G5.

FYI, Apples doesn't make RAM, they use Samsung RAM (at least that's what came w/ my dual G4). If it makes you feel any better, you can just buy some matching Samsung RAM to go w/ your G5.

jonapete2001

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
I have used 1-800-memory on my ibook(g3 snow) and it worked perfectly. I know they garuntee that it will be compatible. and they are the cheapest.

smilprod

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2003
Hemet, CA
G5 Memory

Go with the Crucial memory, that is what I am using in my G5 and it works perfectly without any conflicts. I am very happy with their service.

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Kingston are always good news, as are Corsair and Crucial.

Never discount players like Samsung and Hyundi, I can buy 512MB of samsung DDR333 for $70AUD. I built a friends PC with it and it works like a dream.

madforrit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Berkeley, CA
Sounds like the common denominator in all this is Crucial. I'll get it from them, unless someone has a horrible G5/Crucial experience to change my mind! :eek:

Lain.v2

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by manitoubalck
Kingston are always good news, as are Corsair and Crucial.

Never discount players like Samsung and Hyundi, I can buy 512MB of samsung DDR333 for $70AUD. I built a friends PC with it and it works like a dream.

is that a single 512mb chip?, if so can u tell me where can I buy it from at THAT price!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.