Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr_Maybe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
South America
I would like to know if anyone is using Mac OS X software to do digital room correction. I have experienced a friends setup with a digital amplifier with an equalizer that was hooked up to a PC with a microphone to test how the room responded to the sound from the hifi speakers. Then the equalizer used this information to correct the sound.

It was very cool. For instance, for some bass reflex speakers you will get too much bass at certain frequencies if the speakers are close to a wall. But with room correction software you can use this to just use less volume at those frequencies. So your amplifier and speakers actually have to do less work and you get better sound.

But that system was very expensive. If there was some Mac software that could do something similar, that would be cool. So if I have my Mac hooked up to a stereo, I want to both analyze the room and sound and also have the sound "corrected" when playing back music and movies.

I've found some software that can analyze room responses from a sound system. http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

Have any of you used that software or any other kind of room correction software?

RedRedBlockhead

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2008
That would be very cool however I can forsee a few caveats with doing this.

1) Room correction like this is only done in reference to a single point, whereas bass response can differ drastically throughout a room
2) I don't think Modal ringing would not be reduced as it's about sustain
3) You would be distorting (ableit intentionally) your original signal

But I'm as interested as you are, especially considering because of where I live proper room treatment isn't an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.