Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techguy40

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
what volume format you guys recommend to use for external hard drive?

It will be for Time Machine.

Do i need to use disk utility first to format brand new external hard drive before using time machine?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
for use with Time Machine an external drive has to be formatted to Mac OS Extended Journaled (HFS+).

after youve formatted it Time Machine will ask you if you want to use it as a Backup disk and format it to HFS+ again and then start the initial backup.

so if youve already got files on your HFS+ formatted drive you should move them as Time Machine will erase the drive. you can then move the files back to the external after the initial backup. Time Machine backups are stored in Backup.backupdb on the external.

techguy40

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
when i let time machine format the external harddrive it chooses to use Mac OS Extended Case Sensitive Journaled (HFS+).

or Is it better i Use disk utility and format it with Mac OS Extended Journaled (HFS+)?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
not sure what you mean by Case Sensitive as my drive is called "De Lorean" which has both cases.

just let Time Machine do work and format it before the big initial backup.

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
I just bought a new 500gb hd and it seemed to take about 30 sec to format to Mac OS (journaled). Is that right since there is no data or is that way too short?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.