Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Apr 8, 2008, 08:02 AM   #1
garybUK

New Nokia Tube - iPhone Like Device

I don't know if this has been posted, if so, sorry! but Nokia have confirmed the existance of their Project Tube, iPhone like device.

Link: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04...one_confirmed/

Looks pretty cool from the vague pics we have ALL seen before. Should be good when it comes out, hopefully it can at least send MMS
garybUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Motley
macrumors 6502

I'd assume Nokia can do a decent iPhone knock off with extra features. Hell if they just made the N800 into a phone I'd be pretty tempted.
Motley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 09:23 AM   #3
Stampyhead
macrumors 68020

It looks like an iPod Touch that says NOKIA. Not many original ideas out there...
Stampyhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 09:32 AM   #4
Dagless
macrumors Core

Oh my word. It's not even trying to look different.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 09:34 AM   #5
MacClarence
Banned

It looks similar, but what about the functionality
MacClarence is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 08:03 PM   #6
monke
macrumors 65816

Normally I'd complain at people that say "THEY COPIED THE iPHONE!!!", but honestly, without the Nokia there it looks like an iPhone/iPod Touch.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:45 AM   #7
PowerFullMac
macrumors 68040

Nokia's "Tube"

I think this may be the iPhone killer, and I think this for the following reasons:
1) Apple have crippled the iPhone's hardware and software, for example no MMS, video capture, useless Bluetooth etc.
2) Nokia is a very popular phone manufacturer, and this phone, like many Nokia smartphones, uses the Symbian OS which has many apps, is very supported and is very popular
3) They are more open, you can just get apps off the net and send them to your phone and thats it! No App Store (in which the apps are VERY limited) or hacking crap, pkus all your media dosent have to come form iTunes
4) Most of their phones are not exclusive to a single network/carrier, you can just get them on whatever network you want, or even get them SIM free
5) Nokia uses new technology when it comes out, tke the N95 for example, it has a 5 megapixel camera, video capture, GPS, Bluetooth that acctually does something, MMS, 3.5G etc. where as the iPhone uses very little very modern technology

Now, dont get me wrong, I think the iPhone is great, and we will have to see what they put in their new one thats coming soon, but there are good reasons why I have heald on to my Nokia 6230 instead of buying a iPhone, and will probably be getting a Android phone or one of these, which are listed above.
PowerFullMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:49 AM   #8
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerFullMac View Post
5) Nokia uses new technology when it comes out, tke the N95 for example, it has a 5 megapixel camera,
5 megapixel camera on a phone is a fool's gold. With a tiny sensor and tiny lens, it only makes the pictures take up more disk space without improving the quality of the image. Actually it might even make it worse due to more noise. This is for people who buy things based on numbers that go with some buzzword. What do they call it, oh yeah, "feature matrix marketing"...
theBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 08:01 AM   #9
garybUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBB View Post
5 megapixel camera on a phone is a fool's gold. With a tiny sensor and tiny lens, it only makes the pictures take up more disk space without improving the quality of the image. Actually it might even make it worse due to more noise. This is for people who buy things based on numbers that go with some buzzword. What do they call it, oh yeah, "feature matrix marketing"...
Well being a owner of a N95 8GB with 5mp phone and a iphone i can honestly say the N95 takes a LOT better pics.
garybUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 08:32 AM   #10
PowerFullMac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybUK View Post
Well being a owner of a N95 8GB with 5mp phone and a iphone i can honestly say the N95 takes a LOT better pics.
Point proved.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 08:36 AM   #11
redAPPLE
macrumors 68030

i thought the thread is about a phone case, like the iPod socks. honestly.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 08:40 AM   #12
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
1) Apple have crippled the iPhone's hardware and software, for example no MMS, video capture, useless Bluetooth etc.
They haven't crippled the web browser though.

Quote:
2) Nokia is a very popular phone manufacturer,
True. I use a Nokia.

Quote:
and this phone, like many Nokia smartphones, uses the Symbian OS which has many apps, is very supported and is very popular
3) They are more open, you can just get apps off the net and send them to your phone and thats it! No App Store (in which the apps are VERY limited) or hacking crap
The iPhone looks like its going to have a hell of a lot of applications come June. Also it looks like it has a lot of very cool applications already.

Quote:
, pkus all your media dosent have to come form iTunes
iTunes can rip CD's too, and you can use Amazon and eMusic two of the biggest online stores

Quote:
5) Nokia uses new technology when it comes out, tke the N95 for example, it has a 5 megapixel camera, video capture, GPS, Bluetooth that acctually does something, MMS, 3.5G etc. where as the iPhone uses very little very modern technology
Apple didn't add 3G at the beginning as the US hasn't got a 3G network, though it looks like that is coming very soon, definitely before the end of the year. I will grant you that the N95 has 3G already. Most of the other features, although nice, are relatively minor.

Quote:
Now, dont get me wrong, I think the iPhone is great, and we will have to see what they put in their new one thats coming soon, but there are good reasons why I have heald on to my Nokia 6230 instead of buying a iPhone, and will probably be getting a Android phone or one of these, which are listed above.
I have a 6230 as well, the iPhone is better.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 08:56 AM   #13
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjimmi View Post
Oh my word. It's not even trying to look different.
The iPhone is basically a screen with a chrome ring around it. Aside from color, how much different is any all-touchscreen phone going to look? At least on that side of the phone, they're all going to look fairly similar. The other side might look more differentiated.

It all depends on features and interface. But Apple has the great iTunes integration, and I don't see Nokia competing with that aspect, even though I generally like their phones. It'll probably have more features than the iPhone in most every other respect, and still lose out because of that.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 08:58 AM   #14
PowerFullMac
macrumors 68040

add info

The US dosent have a 3G network yet?!?!

Here in the UK we have had a 3G network since 2003!

The 6230 is not the best phone ever, and its not as good as the iPhone, but the iPhone is not a huge breakthrough, and I havent brought one because I am waiting for something I think is decent, which, especially for the price, the iPhone is not.

And, oh yeah, at least my 6230 does MMS, Bluetooth file transfers and video capture... 3 things the iPhone wont do.

Last edited by PowerFullMac; Apr 11, 2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 09:20 AM   #15
Dagless
macrumors Core

My V3 RAZR does all that too, somehow I doubt I'll be touching it ever again once I get an iPhone.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 09:53 AM   #16
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

If the symbian operating system crashes as often as it does on my N96 & E61 then god help this new device.

iPhone has yet to reduce itself to a sluggish, crash happy turd like both my nokias.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:13 AM   #17
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Quote:

Yup. It's supposed to be rolling out sometime soon.
16 GB iPhone
GFLPraxis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:04 AM   #18
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

What makes the iPhone different is the WAY you use it, not the actual functions of the phone. My phone has lots and lots of features, none of which I use. The OS is what makes an iPhone an "iPhone". Make a touchscreen device if you want. They've been around for decades. It's not an original idea. However, the iPhone has quite a novel implementation of it that makes it a useful tool rather than a showy "feature".

I don't care if a feature is offered or not. Usability of the feature is everything. EVERYTHING.

This is just a Symbian OS with a touchscreen. Sorry, but how is this better? Once the novelty of touching your screen wears off, you're still left with a regular Symbian OS, which isn't better or worse than it was yesterday.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:37 AM   #19
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Erm, no, we have at least three deployed 3G networks. AT&T has HSPA, which is deployed but does not cover all of rural America (we have rather a lot of landmass... there isn't exactly a single network that covers the entire European continent either). Sprint and Verizon both have nationwide EV-DO networks.

The only major (national) US carrier that hasn't rolled out 3G is T-Mobile.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 09:09 PM   #20
joeshell383
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Apple didn't add 3G at the beginning as the US hasn't got a 3G network, though it looks like that is coming very soon, definitely before the end of the year.
That is flat out wrong. 3 of the 4 major U.S. mobile providers offer 3G. Verizon Wireless and Sprint have had their networks for several years, and cover most of the population. AT&T has been lagging, but currently offers 3G in major cities and will offer 3G to most of the U.S. in calendar Q3.

Quote:

AT&T Wireless (not AT&T Mobility) was one of the first providers to launch 3G in the U.S. That was in 2004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFLPraxis View Post
Yup. It's supposed to be rolling out sometime soon.
It's already rolled out in most major markets on the 3 major carriers that offer it. AT&T, one of the three, will cover most of the population later this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
Erm, no, we have at least three deployed 3G networks. AT&T has HSPA, which is deployed but does not cover all of rural America (we have rather a lot of landmass... there isn't exactly a single network that covers the entire European continent either). Sprint and Verizon Wireless both have nationwide EV-DO networks.

Exactly, and T-Mobile is the only one of the Big 4 that is a European firm*!

* Verizon Wireless is partially owned by Vodafone.

Last edited by joeshell383; Apr 12, 2008 at 11:44 AM.
joeshell383 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 05:11 AM   #21
g00k

there is no the best phone...
some might like the touchpad some might not.
advantage for iphone: huge capacity and touchpad but lacking features 3g and many more. so its all a question of taste. if i may say it bluntly 2years old phones had already better functions except touchpad and capacity than the iphone.
btw who said that nokia cant compete with apples itunes?
didnt u know that nokia is preparing the big bang?
they are willing to give 80 dollars per phone to the music industry for an unlimited music flatrate.
as i have heard it might be wrong of not up to date anymore but which each purchased nokia phone u get a music flatrate for free (actually u paid it already with buying the phone).
if thats coming true... bye bye itunes. itunes sucks anyway... btw i have an iphone before all the apple fanboys are going to kill me.
g00k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 05:21 AM   #22
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Erm, no, we have at least three deployed 3G networks. AT&T has HSPA, which is deployed but does not cover all of rural America (we have rather a lot of landmass... there isn't exactly a single network that covers the entire European continent either). Sprint and Verizon both have nationwide EV-DO networks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshell383 View Post
That is flat out wrong. 3 of the 4 major U.S. mobile providers offer 3G. Verizon and Sprint have had their networks for several years, and cover most of the population. AT&T has been lagging, but currently offers 3G in major cities and will offer 3G to most of the U.S. in calendar Q3.
OK sorry, I thought there were big holes in the 3G coverage though, whereas in Europe 3G coverage is very widespread.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 05:21 AM   #23
nick9191
macrumors 68040

Apple seriously need to pull their finger out their arse.
nick9191 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 06:02 AM   #24
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
If the symbian operating system crashes as often as it does on my N96 & E61 then god help this new device.
I'm not surprised your N96 keeps crashing, it is obviously a pre-production model because they are not going on sale until August
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 07:23 PM   #25
mojohanna
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

And Alltel as well, I believe.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion