Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
I'd assume Nokia can do a decent iPhone knock off with extra features. Hell if they just made the N800 into a phone I'd be pretty tempted.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
Normally I'd complain at people that say "THEY COPIED THE iPHONE!!!", but honestly, without the Nokia there it looks like an iPhone/iPod Touch.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Nokia's "Tube"

I think this may be the iPhone killer, and I think this for the following reasons:
1) Apple have crippled the iPhone's hardware and software, for example no MMS, video capture, useless Bluetooth etc.
2) Nokia is a very popular phone manufacturer, and this phone, like many Nokia smartphones, uses the Symbian OS which has many apps, is very supported and is very popular
3) They are more open, you can just get apps off the net and send them to your phone and thats it! No App Store (in which the apps are VERY limited) or hacking crap, pkus all your media dosent have to come form iTunes
4) Most of their phones are not exclusive to a single network/carrier, you can just get them on whatever network you want, or even get them SIM free
5) Nokia uses new technology when it comes out, tke the N95 for example, it has a 5 megapixel camera, video capture, GPS, Bluetooth that acctually does something, MMS, 3.5G etc. where as the iPhone uses very little very modern technology

Now, dont get me wrong, I think the iPhone is great, and we will have to see what they put in their new one thats coming soon, but there are good reasons why I have heald on to my Nokia 6230 instead of buying a iPhone, and will probably be getting a Android phone or one of these, which are listed above.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
5) Nokia uses new technology when it comes out, tke the N95 for example, it has a 5 megapixel camera,
5 megapixel camera on a phone is a fool's gold. With a tiny sensor and tiny lens, it only makes the pictures take up more disk space without improving the quality of the image. Actually it might even make it worse due to more noise. This is for people who buy things based on numbers that go with some buzzword. What do they call it, oh yeah, "feature matrix marketing"...

garybUK

Original poster
Jun 3, 2002
5 megapixel camera on a phone is a fool's gold. With a tiny sensor and tiny lens, it only makes the pictures take up more disk space without improving the quality of the image. Actually it might even make it worse due to more noise. This is for people who buy things based on numbers that go with some buzzword. What do they call it, oh yeah, "feature matrix marketing"...

Well being a owner of a N95 8GB with 5mp phone and a iphone i can honestly say the N95 takes a LOT better pics.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
1) Apple have crippled the iPhone's hardware and software, for example no MMS, video capture, useless Bluetooth etc.

They haven't crippled the web browser though.

2) Nokia is a very popular phone manufacturer,

True. I use a Nokia.

and this phone, like many Nokia smartphones, uses the Symbian OS which has many apps, is very supported and is very popular
3) They are more open, you can just get apps off the net and send them to your phone and thats it! No App Store (in which the apps are VERY limited) or hacking crap

The iPhone looks like its going to have a hell of a lot of applications come June. Also it looks like it has a lot of very cool applications already.

, pkus all your media dosent have to come form iTunes

iTunes can rip CD's too, and you can use Amazon and eMusic two of the biggest online stores

5) Nokia uses new technology when it comes out, tke the N95 for example, it has a 5 megapixel camera, video capture, GPS, Bluetooth that acctually does something, MMS, 3.5G etc. where as the iPhone uses very little very modern technology

Apple didn't add 3G at the beginning as the US hasn't got a 3G network, though it looks like that is coming very soon, definitely before the end of the year. I will grant you that the N95 has 3G already. Most of the other features, although nice, are relatively minor.

Now, dont get me wrong, I think the iPhone is great, and we will have to see what they put in their new one thats coming soon, but there are good reasons why I have heald on to my Nokia 6230 instead of buying a iPhone, and will probably be getting a Android phone or one of these, which are listed above.

I have a 6230 as well, the iPhone is better.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Oh my word. It's not even trying to look different.

The iPhone is basically a screen with a chrome ring around it. Aside from color, how much different is any all-touchscreen phone going to look? At least on that side of the phone, they're all going to look fairly similar. The other side might look more differentiated.

It all depends on features and interface. But Apple has the great iTunes integration, and I don't see Nokia competing with that aspect, even though I generally like their phones. It'll probably have more features than the iPhone in most every other respect, and still lose out because of that.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
add info

The US dosent have a 3G network yet?!?! :eek:

Here in the UK we have had a 3G network since 2003!

The 6230 is not the best phone ever, and its not as good as the iPhone, but the iPhone is not a huge breakthrough, and I havent brought one because I am waiting for something I think is decent, which, especially for the price, the iPhone is not.

And, oh yeah, at least my 6230 does MMS, Bluetooth file transfers and video capture... 3 things the iPhone wont do.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My V3 RAZR does all that too, somehow I doubt I'll be touching it ever again once I get an iPhone.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If the symbian operating system crashes as often as it does on my N96 & E61 then god help this new device.

iPhone has yet to reduce itself to a sluggish, crash happy turd like both my nokias.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
What makes the iPhone different is the WAY you use it, not the actual functions of the phone. My phone has lots and lots of features, none of which I use. The OS is what makes an iPhone an "iPhone". Make a touchscreen device if you want. They've been around for decades. It's not an original idea. However, the iPhone has quite a novel implementation of it that makes it a useful tool rather than a showy "feature".

I don't care if a feature is offered or not. Usability of the feature is everything. EVERYTHING.

This is just a Symbian OS with a touchscreen. Sorry, but how is this better? Once the novelty of touching your screen wears off, you're still left with a regular Symbian OS, which isn't better or worse than it was yesterday.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Erm, no, we have at least three deployed 3G networks. AT&T has HSPA, which is deployed but does not cover all of rural America (we have rather a lot of landmass... there isn't exactly a single network that covers the entire European continent either). Sprint and Verizon both have nationwide EV-DO networks.

The only major (national) US carrier that hasn't rolled out 3G is T-Mobile.

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Apple didn't add 3G at the beginning as the US hasn't got a 3G network, though it looks like that is coming very soon, definitely before the end of the year.

That is flat out wrong. 3 of the 4 major U.S. mobile providers offer 3G. Verizon Wireless and Sprint have had their networks for several years, and cover most of the population. AT&T has been lagging, but currently offers 3G in major cities and will offer 3G to most of the U.S. in calendar Q3.

Here in the UK we have had a 3G network since 2003!

AT&T Wireless (not AT&T Mobility) was one of the first providers to launch 3G in the U.S. That was in 2004.

Yup. It's supposed to be rolling out sometime soon.

It's already rolled out in most major markets on the 3 major carriers that offer it. AT&T, one of the three, will cover most of the population later this year.

Erm, no, we have at least three deployed 3G networks. AT&T has HSPA, which is deployed but does not cover all of rural America (we have rather a lot of landmass... there isn't exactly a single network that covers the entire European continent either). Sprint and Verizon Wireless both have nationwide EV-DO networks.

Exactly, and T-Mobile is the only one of the Big 4 that is a European firm*!

* Verizon Wireless is partially owned by Vodafone.

g00k

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2008
there is no the best phone...
some might like the touchpad some might not.
advantage for iphone: huge capacity and touchpad but lacking features 3g and many more. so its all a question of taste. if i may say it bluntly 2years old phones had already better functions except touchpad and capacity than the iphone.
btw who said that nokia cant compete with apples itunes?
didnt u know that nokia is preparing the big bang?
they are willing to give 80 dollars per phone to the music industry for an unlimited music flatrate.
as i have heard it might be wrong of not up to date anymore but which each purchased nokia phone u get a music flatrate for free (actually u paid it already with buying the phone).
if thats coming true... bye bye itunes. itunes sucks anyway... btw i have an iphone before all the apple fanboys are going to kill me.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Erm, no, we have at least three deployed 3G networks. AT&T has HSPA, which is deployed but does not cover all of rural America (we have rather a lot of landmass... there isn't exactly a single network that covers the entire European continent either). Sprint and Verizon both have nationwide EV-DO networks.

That is flat out wrong. 3 of the 4 major U.S. mobile providers offer 3G. Verizon and Sprint have had their networks for several years, and cover most of the population. AT&T has been lagging, but currently offers 3G in major cities and will offer 3G to most of the U.S. in calendar Q3.

OK sorry, I thought there were big holes in the 3G coverage though, whereas in Europe 3G coverage is very widespread.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland

And Alltel as well, I believe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.