Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

friekunater

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Post your ideas for iPhone 2.0 applications here! I have no clue how to develop apps, nor do I have a mac. So for me, it won't really bother me if someone steals my ideas. I actually hope they do take them and improve upon them.

NOTE: do not post your ideas here if you dont want people to steal them!!!!

My ideas:

•an IM client that works with ALL major services

•a monopoly game, just like the board game

•multi-instrument emulator (piano, guitar, etc.)

•an RGP game like The Sims that lets you create people, houses, etc.

•iPod classic emulator: two-in-one iPod =)

•a photo editing/tweaking app

•Wheel of Fortune game-spin using your finger, use keyboard to guess...

•Labyrinth (like on a jailbroken iPhone)

•texting app for iPod touch that looks like the iPhone's, but uses wi-fi

•pedometer

here are my ideas, up for the taking!
Ill post more when I think of them
if any developer would like to follow me up on these ideas, feel free to contact me at friek4@gmail.com

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Why do people want an iPod Classic emulator? I don't miss that click-wheel taking up half the surface area except for when I want to skip tracks with the screen locked. Otherwise, good riddance to it. Don't be surprised for ALL iPods (except for Shuffle) to do away with it in the next two years.

As for the other ideas, some good ones. The Sims is a little overboard unless you tie it in to The Sims Online (if that's still around). I also don't think the instrument emulators will be around long unless they're free. I certainly wouldn't pay for them. The Super Monkeyball game demoed would probably be a hit (It's hella fun on game systems and isn't complicated).

I don't know that an IM client will work until Apple gets past the not letting apps run in the background thing. They may have to put iChat on the phone to get IM on there, and even then I don't think it would work on EDGE (just 3G and WiFi).

Emulsion

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Why do people want an iPod Classic emulator? I don't miss that click-wheel taking up half the surface area except for when I want to skip tracks with the screen locked. Otherwise, good riddance to it. Don't be surprised for ALL iPods (except for Shuffle) to do away with it in the next two years.

As for the other ideas, some good ones. The Sims is a little overboard unless you tie it in to The Sims Online (if that's still around). I also don't think the instrument emulators will be around long unless they're free. I certainly wouldn't pay for them. The Super Monkeyball game demoed would probably be a hit (It's hella fun on game systems and isn't complicated).

I don't know that an IM client will work until Apple gets past the not letting apps run in the background thing. They may have to put iChat on the phone to get IM on there, and even then I don't think it would work on EDGE (just 3G and WiFi).

Why would an iChat not work with edge?

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
Why would an iChat not work with edge?

im not sure, but it could be because it would require too much battery to be connecting all the time. and if it ran in the background it would not allow users to make or receive calls because you cant use voice and edge at the same time

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Of course a form of iChat would run fine on Edge as long as its running in the background and not chewing up battery.

Apollo IM works fine, basically the same thing.

guruji

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2008
go to meebo.com and chat using yahoo or msn or aol. works perfectly using older versions though...

i tried on wifi though :(

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
•an IM client that works with ALL major services
MobileChat's developer is making one with the official SDK.

•a monopoly game, just like the board game
Too bad Hasbro holds that.

•multi-instrument emulator (piano, guitar, etc.)
I wonder if the copyright applies to Moo music...for making Pianist, Guitarist, and Drummer.

•an RGP game like The Sims that lets you create people, houses, etc.
Sims already dominates...anything else would be suitable to put on Installer.

•iPod classic emulator: two-in-one iPod =)
ehh...be kinda useless...wouldn't be allowed to play the iTunes games.

•a photo editing/tweaking app
Do you mean like TouchFX or stuff to change brightness and all that?

•Wheel of Fortune game-spin using your finger, use keyboard to guess...
Now that'd be interesting...I might take up on that challenge =) [I called it people, it's mine! =P]

•Labyrinth (like on a jailbroken iPhone)
Of course because of copyright reasons, only that maker can make it =/.

•texting app for iPod touch that looks like the iPhone's, but uses wi-fi
Would Apple allow for an SMS app on the iPod Touch? (then again, you can do that with AOL's AIM, can't you? (add number to buddy list in this format +1231234567)

•pedometer
That I could also do =). Do you really want a pedometer that bad that it makes the list? 0_0 I'm just kidding.

I want

ToDo list or Task list
ebook reader (http://www.ereader.com)
Bible reader (http://www.laridian.com)
games (Bejeweled, Zuma, Rocket Mania, etc.)

That can all be done easily =)...except for the games...since PopCap is signed on as a developer, only they can make it.

Too bad it's not like Installer where you can make Bejeweled...now copyrights actually apply and stuff.

lindsaykaye04

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
To Do list!!!
Video recording (that could be software, right?)

Honestly, that's all I desperately want. I will probably download a ton of apps, but use very few.

Bassassin

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
Couple ideas.

Navigation would be sweeeet. They are all proud of having google maps on there, but what good does it do you if you don't know where the F you are?

And, for texting and maybe IMing, it would be nice if the keyboard switched to wide if you changed the phone to horizontal as opposed to a bit cramped as vertical.

friekunater

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
I think I would want an iPod classic emulator just because I think it would look cool. wouldnt get it unless it was free though.
Being an iPod touch user, I really dont care whether or not EDGE will work, but being a person who uses Meebo, I know it works fine with wi-fi. but, it does kill the battery
@Niiro13: why do you think I put the pedometer at the bottom of the screen? lol
I text all the time from my iPod touch! I have a separate account set up in my mail just for texting. each phone has an email address! you just send it to, ie 8155553321@email.uscc.net for USC customers and each carrier is different. (thats also a great way to send/recieve MMS)
for photo editing app, I was thinking maybe you would choose the photo, set whether its in landscape/portrait mode, and whatever you dont choose, when you turn the iPhone that way, will be the editing options. something like a watered-down photoshop-esque thing.
for monopoly, is there a way to get around the copyright? call it like foflopoly or somethin lol
if you're guna make wheel of fortune, dont make it suck lol

@LindsayKaye04: they already have a to-do list... well two... notes and calendar. ever heard of 'em? lol
I dont think they could use the iPhone's camera to record video. probably need special hardware.

@MichaelCM1: I didnt mean like the actual Sims, just more of a generic version. probably a big issue with that would be memory and speed. but i think it sounds fun.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
Couple ideas.

Navigation would be sweeeet. They are all proud of having google maps on there, but what good does it do you if you don't know where the F you are?

there is already a locator, or do you mean one that would follow you for turn by turn directions with location?

friekunater

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
one more idea... I would love a TV tuner, probably subscription-based... maybe DVR recordings of up to like 3 hrs of shows.

Bassassin

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
there is already a locator, or do you mean one that would follow you for turn by turn directions with location?

Thank you for clarifying. I meant turn by turn, that would be sweet. And are iphones compatible with bluetooth ear pieces? I'm under the impression they aren't yet. If no, porque?

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Actually, I just realized that it makes no sense to use the keyboard for Wheel of Fortune (cause the keyboard is only for text box input...yet in Wheel of Fortune, you only need to guess the letter once for all instances of that letter)...you can just have letters at the bottom to guess.

MobileChat and Apollo IM teams are making an SDK version...=P

Lol, iPod Classic emulator just cause you can? XD

To-Do List is probably already made =P (yeah, there's notes and calendar...but some people just want an app dedicated for to-do =P)

iPhone's camera already can take video (taking a look at the codecs and stuff)...it's just whether Apple will allow it (Video recording is already being developed by a team...whether they are allowed to release it is up to Apple).

Yeah, there's already a kind of locator in 2.0...(not that good, but without a GPS dongle, what are you gonna do?)

IMing I'm sure AOL has put landscape (MobileChat already has it)...as for Texting...will have to be Apple's job: http://www.apple.com/feedback

Custom EQ would require you to either play your music through the app itself, or somehow gain access to the EQ (which wouldn't be allowed since it's in jail)

Character counter for SMS would require you to have it open while the SMS is open, which means background app...right? I'm not sure if there's a command to receive data from the SMS app while it's not opened.

iPhone's bluetooth only work with headsets as of right now.

I wanna see an RTS game or an RPG game...and a full fledged one...just so I can see how the companies come up with a way to fit all that UI in that small screen =P

cjandnw

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
South Jersey
Send and receive MMS

Customizable home screen: User can opt to go to standard (current) home screen with power button press and slide or customized home screen with home button press and slide.
Home screen could be user configurable:
It could contain a few choice icons, today task/ appointment list, weather,
SMS, MMS, Email status, Vmail status, missed call status, whatever the user wants

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Send and receive MMS

Customizable home screen: User can opt to go to standard (current) home screen with power button press and slide or customized home screen with home button press and slide.
Home screen could be user configurable:
It could contain a few choice icons, today task/ appointment list, weather,
SMS, MMS, Email status, Vmail status, missed call status, whatever the user wants

You beat me to it. I want to be able to customize my home screen without jailbreaking it. I want to be able t add my own icons, wallpaper etc.

SMS, MMS are big on my hopes list also. I used this a lot. I didn't realise how much I used this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.