Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RossOliver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Hey,

If I design my interface in Interface Builder with the current problems they have displaying the UIToolbar and UITabBar objects, when they update IB to correct these problems will it fix them in my current IB project?

If I have to start over again each time they fix IB I see no point in starting to begin with...

Anyone know?

-Ross

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
I think the current incarnation of the iPhone IB library is still a bit primitive for actual use. For now, I'm sticking with doing all of my UI programmatically. I think, eventually, IB will be ready for easy use but for now it seems like more trouble than its worth. Learning to implement the View code by hand instead of relying on IB like I do in Cocoa is doing me personally a lot of good,though, so if you don't have amy such experience yourself I suggest you take the opportunity. The UI showcase example app in the dev center is a particularly good place to get some code.

RossOliver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
I think the current incarnation of the iPhone IB library is still a bit primitive for actual use. For now, I'm sticking with doing all of my UI programmatically. I think, eventually, IB will be ready for easy use but for now it seems like more trouble than its worth. Learning to implement the View code by hand instead of relying on IB like I do in Cocoa is doing me personally a lot of good,though, so if you don't have amy such experience yourself I suggest you take the opportunity. The UI showcase example app in the dev center is a particularly good place to get some code.

That is one option, although I was hoping that I wouldn't have to resort to coding the UI... will that not make a lot of work when the time comes to convert it to IB?

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
That is one option, although I was hoping that I wouldn't have to resort to coding the UI... will that not make a lot of work when the time comes to convert it to IB?

IB is farily easy to use in the first place. If you design your code with future conversion to Interface Builder in mind, then you should be able to just rebuild the UI in IB and hook up some IBOutlets.

However, if you do get your View code working programmatically, where's the need to switch to Interface Builder? Sure its a nice tool to throw together a quick UI, but tools only hamper development if they become too much of a crutch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.