Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Apr 10, 2008, 08:55 AM   #1
zipper1022
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to zipper1022
iphone not vibrating... grrrrr

ive had my phone for about 3 months and its been awesome, i keep it in a agent 18 case and i have a skinsheilds cover ont he screen. I take good care of it and its onlybeen dropped once or twice from about 1 foot form the ground.

the other day someone showed me how to turn my keyboard click off so i did and for some reason it turned off basically all the sounds on my phone. ther was no sound when i unlocked it and no sound when i shot photos. then i realized that when i switch from regular mode to silent mode it doesnt vibrate like it used to...

has anyone had this problem? should i bring it back to apple?
Panasonic DVX100B + Canon 60d
zipper1022 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:05 AM   #2
Kernow
macrumors 65816

Before you do that, check in Settings > Sounds.

You can switch the vibration on and off in silent mode from here.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:53 AM   #3
chr1s60
macrumors 65816

If you check settings and find that vibrate is turned on, try restarting, if that doesn't work try doing a restore, finally if that doesn't work take it to your local Apple store or call Apple. My friend had an issue where his vibrate stopped working a few months in. Apple had him restore and when it still wasn't working they replaced his phone.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 01:28 PM   #4
zipper1022
macrumors regular

ahhhh I checked the settings and I restsrted the phone like 3 times. I would restore buy im running 1.1.3 jailbrkoen and don't want to try and hack 1.1.4 from what I read its really hard...
Old Apr 10, 2008, 01:38 PM   #5
NeoMayhem
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper1022 View Post
ahhhh I checked the settings and I restsrted the phone like 3 times. I would restore buy im running 1.1.3 jailbrkoen and don't want to try and hack 1.1.4 from what I read its really hard...
Jailbraking/Unlocking 1.1.4 is the easiest yet. You can use iLiberty or Pwnage and be done in a few minutes.
NeoMayhem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 08:26 PM   #6
zipper1022
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoMayhem View Post
Jailbraking/Unlocking 1.1.4 is the easiest yet. You can use iLiberty or Pwnage and be done in a few minutes.
do alot of apps still work on it?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:22 PM   #7
chr1s60
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper1022 View Post
do alot of apps still work on it?
I never had jailbroken before 1.1.4, but a lot of apps have been made compatible for 1.1.4. Not to mention that if you really use vibrate and need it, you are going to have to restore your iPhone before taking it to Apple anyway. From my POV, it seems like you either settle for no vibrate or restore and possibly take to Apple if needed.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:12 PM   #8
sigma8
macrumors regular

I know this is an old thread, but I just had this problem as well, and when I googled it, it was the first hit...AND I seem to have stumbled on a wacky solution in my case, so I wanted to post it in case other googlers end up here.

My iPhone (original) was vibrating fine last night. Earlier today I reset it due to mysteriously missing some calls (not even showing up under missed calls). I'm not sure if that was related, but suddenly I noticed the vibration functionality was not working at all.

I tried powering it down, toggling the vibration configuration in the settings, resetting, back to toggling settings, and repeated these things a good 2-3 times to no avail.

Then, during the final attempt, after allowing my iPhone to be "off" for 10+ minutes, I was back in settings, and noticed something like a single wavelength of a vibration. Almost imperceptible. It would not repeat.

I gave the iPhone a vigorous shaking in the air, and VOILA fixed! It was the weirdest thing, but I guess the vibration mechanism had somehow become stuck.
sigma8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:33 AM   #9
Conson
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma8 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I just had this problem as well, and when I googled it, it was the first hit...AND I seem to have stumbled on a wacky solution in my case, so I wanted to post it in case other googlers end up here.

My iPhone (original) was vibrating fine last night. Earlier today I reset it due to mysteriously missing some calls (not even showing up under missed calls). I'm not sure if that was related, but suddenly I noticed the vibration functionality was not working at all.

I tried powering it down, toggling the vibration configuration in the settings, resetting, back to toggling settings, and repeated these things a good 2-3 times to no avail.

Then, during the final attempt, after allowing my iPhone to be "off" for 10+ minutes, I was back in settings, and noticed something like a single wavelength of a vibration. Almost imperceptible. It would not repeat.

I gave the iPhone a vigorous shaking in the air, and VOILA fixed! It was the weirdest thing, but I guess the vibration mechanism had somehow become stuck.
Hey dude!THANKS ALOT!!!i did what u did and the same things happen!it work!i especially created a account just to thank you !your great man!
Conson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:38 AM   #10
sajjadalishah
macrumors newbie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conson View Post
Hey dude!THANKS ALOT!!!i did what u did and the same things happen!it work!i especially created a account just to thank you !your great man!
Same here, did a shake and it worked
sajjadalishah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:57 PM   #11
Spgeorgeff
macrumors newbie

Felt like a fool shaking my iPhone but it actually worked! Thank you!!
Spgeorgeff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 06:48 PM   #12
jburns
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spgeorgeff View Post
Felt like a fool shaking my iPhone but it actually worked! Thank you!!
So after years of technological advancements we are back to the equivalent of giving a non-working appliance a swift kick. I'm finding that sort of comforting.
jburns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:01 PM   #13
ksl82
macrumors newbie

Give it a tap

Shaking didn't work for me, but tapping it in the right spot did. Gotta love the tough love approach.

From here:
http://bluescreensolutions.blogspot....vibrating.html
ksl82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 01:46 PM   #14
edessad
macrumors newbie

all shook up

Shook it and it worked! Unbelieveable....
edessad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:34 AM   #15
RAILWAY1973
macrumors newbie

shakey shakey

my iphone 3gs was not vibrating..checked all the settings but no avail... i powered off phone and shook it in the air and powered on..hey presto!!! vibrating again like new!!! superb!!
RAILWAY1973 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:25 AM   #16
goodie
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Thanks for the info

It took two tries and I had to shake both horizontally and vertically, but I actually heard the vibration motor free itself. Thanks so much for the tip! My phone is almost 2 years old, so no Apple support without a fee. I refuse to pay for someone to tell me to reset and restore when I have already done that. And I doubt they would have ever told me to just shake it. So MANY thanks!!!
goodie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:47 PM   #17
jingsk
macrumors newbie

Works!!!
jingsk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting