Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c104

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
My wife just called from her friend's Blackberry...She said she had an accident...her iPhone slipped into the Porta-Potty. She said it sank to the bottom of the blue liquid. I said "Did you dig it out?" You know what her answer was....
Anyway, the question is...

Would you have dug out the iphone and/or should I let her get a new one?
:eek:

Blue Juice: 1 iPhone: 0

Matt

robbrick

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
My wife just called from her friend's Blackberry...She said she had an accident...her iPhone slipped into the Porta-Potty. She said it sank to the bottom of the blue liquid. I said "Did you dig it out?" You know what her answer was....

Matt

I would DEFINITELY let the Porta-Potty keep it. I would go out and buy another one for myself and give yours to her as punishment.. :p LOL

c104

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
I would DEFINITELY let the Porta-Potty keep it. I would go out and buy another one for myself and give yours to her as punishment.. :p LOL

Good Call...I want a 16GB anyway or make her wait until 32GB/3g iPhone comes out.

;)

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
Easy.

Even if you were able to retrieve it, it would likely be non-functional.

Even if by some miracle it was completely functional, would you really want to hold it up to your face to make a phone call?

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs

My price for reaching into a porta-potty for anything is significantly more than $500, so I would have left the phone.

As for a new one, let her get one, that way you can use it as justification when you want to spend money on a new toy at some point in the future. Either that or you won't have to worry when you drop you iPhone somewhere you're not willing to retrieve it from.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Easy.

Even if by some miracle it was completely functional, would you really want to hold it up to your face to make a phone call?

Ill second this.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
First of all, I wouldn't retrieve anything that fell into a porta-potty. If it was my iPhone (wife doesn't have one) I would not want to pay another $300 to replace it so I would just bite the bullet and get a different phone.

Not sure how that would work with your wife, however. ;)

wildcardd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2007
Denver, CO

Matt

I can barely stand the thought of using a porta potty let alone making a call in one. What was she thinkin'?!?

You should stand outside of the porta potty and when someone else uses it, dial her number...hee hee. :D

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
My father in law was using his Palm V at an outdoor restaurant when a bird flew by and dumped a load right on the screen. He cleaned it off and continued to use it for another 3 years.

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
My father in law was using his Palm V at an outdoor restaurant when a bird flew by and dumped a load right on the screen. He cleaned it off and continued to use it for another 3 years.

copious amounts of human excrement > bird poop

does that even count? ;)

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Easy.

I "third" this ;)

Pookieinc

macrumors member
May 18, 2007
California
Wow, I would for SURE dig mine out... Sure it's blue garbage poopy water, but to retrieve something I paid over 300 dollars for, I would definitely dive in. Maybe it's easier said than done, but I know that if I dropped it in there, I would, without hesitation, just go in quickly, grab it, pull it out, run to the nearest bathroom, clean everything up, throw up a little, then be happy that my iPhone is retrieved.

If it was broken, then meh. Worth it. When we all die, you can check that box that says "put hand in port-potty water", where no one else can! :D

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Depends on the situation.... how nasty was it in there, could I reach it, was there soap/water to wash handy, did it lay on top of toilet tissue or sink?

I probably would've wrapped TP around my hand and made a grab for it depending on circumstances.

c104

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Depends on the situation.... how nasty was it in there, could I reach it, was there soap/water to wash handy, did it lay on top of toilet tissue or sink?

I probably would've wrapped TP around my hand and made a grab for it depending on circumstances.

She said it sank right to the bottom. Well, she couldn't see it anyway.

Matt

Salavat23

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2008
I would have asked a some 8-year old kid to do it. Then I would have paid them $10.

They aren't grossed out by anything.

guruji

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2008
1st of all this sounds fake.

if not, then what was she doing so that it fell into the 'yuk'?

i mean girls would be spending most of their time in front of mirror, not on top of that seat!!!!

therefore i think this is all made-up.

amcclay

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2007
I love these questions...

Hehe - really everybody here has a threshold at which they WOULD reach into the feces-soup.

Honestly, I don't think an iPhone would 'rise' to the level though - because of reasons already cited. Mainly because the likelihood of it functioning properly after fishing it out is slim.

Now, a wedding ring? I'm sure many people would go through more than a port-a-potty to retrieve it.

If it were THAT important though, I would basically call the sanitation company and have them 'drain' the liquid to at least minimize your exposure.

Actually, doesn't anybody here watch "dirty jobs"? That might make a great idea for a segment!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Reason Number 1 as to why AT&T sucks: No insurance!

I wouldn't have gotten the phone out at all, it's not like AT&T or Apple would have fixed it for free, or at all.

You could get a new one for her, but then the rumored 3G iPhone might be out by June or later and then you'd be writing Apple letters for a refund. :D

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
1st of all this sounds fake.

if not, then what was she doing so that it fell into the 'yuk'?

i mean girls would be spending most of their time in front of mirror, not on top of that seat!!!!

therefore i think this is all made-up.

Do you know what a porta potty is? There's no mirror inside there!

It's quite probable that the phone slipped out of her hands or fell out of her pocket. It happens.

:eek: If it was a "fresh" portapotty (meaning VERY few people had used it), I might reach in, but god, I feel sick just thinking about it. But it probably wouldn't have worked if you had retrieved it, so! Just wait for the new updates and then get a new one for yourself and give her the old one.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
This reminds me of the story of the fellow peeing at the urinal.

He accidentally drops a dime in the urinal. As he is standing their looking at the dime, another fellow asks him what he is going to do?

The man stays silent. Then after a while purposely drops a quarter in the urinal, then says, "For a dime no way, but for a quarter it's worth it!"

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
I'd probably end up in a bio hazard suit with my multi layered gloved hand in the toilet, while at the same time slipping it into a stat bag ready to be airmailed to Apple for the $250 replacement.

guruji

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2008
Do you know what a porta potty is? There's no mirror inside there!

It's quite probable that the phone slipped out of her hands or fell out of her pocket. It happens.

:eek: If it was a "fresh" portapotty (meaning VERY few people had used it), I might reach in, but god, I feel sick just thinking about it. But it probably wouldn't have worked if you had retrieved it, so! Just wait for the new updates and then get a new one for yourself and give her the old one.

i apologize to OP, i thought a regular washroom....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.