Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blueharry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Miami Beach
Maybe a week ago, I started getting these two pop up banners every time I use safari. It's always the same two, and usually appears a little while after I open Safari, not sure when because they open in the background. I only notice them when I use Exposé. I tried resetting Safari, emptied the cache, and that didn't work. I have Safari set to block pop up windows.
Is there any more steps I could take? Or do I need some sort of virus scan? If so, which is a good free virus scanner, and which files would I need to direct it to. (No need to scan my iTunes library.) Anyways, thanks!

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Do you have AdBlock installed? This allows you to CTRL+CLICK any banners that sneak through and eliminate them.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
sigh, I don't know 10.4 is so quickly out of luck.....:eek:

to OP, if you are using 10.4, there is something called PitchHelmet. I think..

wait wait wait, its pop-ups, lol

do they appear when you visit certain website?

Blueharry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Miami Beach
I installed it...

I installed adblock, so I hope that works. Thanks!
But, I assume that somewhere I downloaded something, and that had a bit of code stuck in there that causes them to show up. Wouldn't I need to track it down somewhere on my hard drive?
BTW, I'm using OS X 10.5.2

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I installed adblock, so I hope that works. Thanks!
But, I assume that somewhere I downloaded something, and that had a bit of code stuck in there that causes them to show up. Wouldn't I need to track it down somewhere on my hard drive?
BTW, I'm using OS X 10.5.2

Unlikely. As far as I know there isn't any such adware out for the Mac. Most likely a site you visit is producing these popups using a method Safari's not equipped by default to block.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.