Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Nov 11, 2003, 01:36 AM   #1
Nermal

Should I buy a G4?

I've got an 800 MHz iBook at the moment, and I'm getting frustrated with the small hard drive. I need something expandable. What are your opinions on the 1.25 GHz G4? Any horror stories I should know about before I part with my $1105* and buy it?

* I know they're normally $1299, I'm in New Zealand and I've "adjusted" the price to match how they're sold here.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2003, 01:58 AM   #2
CmdrLaForge
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to CmdrLaForge Send a message via Skype™ to CmdrLaForge
If its only the harddrive - why are you not just getting an external one. Would be the cheapest solution.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:47 AM   #3
Sabenth
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Sabenth Send a message via Yahoo to Sabenth
Have to agree here get an external if its just hard drive space you need i nearly bought the supper dupper model iBook g4 then relased that theres no need to i can buy an external and save myself extra cash .

Saying that if you really want an g4 go buy one your gona be using it not us lol

i have decided to buy a g4 iBook 800 and just updated the ram and buying a huge external drive at a later date
Old Nov 11, 2003, 04:14 AM   #4
Nermal

I suppose I could just get an external HD, but then I'll probably find myself constrained by something else. My guess is the video card. I think maybe the best idea would be to sell this iBook while it'll still get a reasonably high price, and get the G4. The main concern I've got is needing to buy a separate display. I've also heard a lot of horror stories about newer Macs, so I'm just wondering whether there are any known issues with the G4s.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2003, 09:26 PM   #5
TyleRomeo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by Nermal
I suppose I could just get an external HD, but then I'll probably find myself constrained by something else. My guess is the video card. I think maybe the best idea would be to sell this iBook while it'll still get a reasonably high price, and get the G4. The main concern I've got is needing to buy a separate display. I've also heard a lot of horror stories about newer Macs, so I'm just wondering whether there are any known issues with the G4s.
i have a dual 1.25 G4 firewire 400 and it works beautifully. G4 are solid they have been updated for over 3 years now.

Tyler
Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:36 PM   #6
MoparShaha
macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'd agree with TyleRomeo, get a G4. They are fantastic. I've been so happy with my dual 1.25. Very fast, stable, and good looking. Coming from an iMac, I like how I can expand it. Two optical drive bays, four HD bays, plus upgradeable graphics card. It's a computer that will last. I haven't had any of the "problems" associated with the MDD Power Macs, but I have one of the later FW800 models. I think you'll be more than happy with the Power Mac.
MoparShaha is online now   0
Old Nov 13, 2003, 01:14 AM   #7
abhishekit
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to abhishekit
Quote:
well i got an ibook g4 last week...and its the sexiest thing i laid my hand on..fr a while.....excellent display...bright ....beautiful...its way better than my roommates 1800$ centrino machine....

cheers

abhi
Old Nov 14, 2003, 12:47 AM   #8
Rezet
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Rezet
G4 is nice... but i'd go for 1.6 G5 or DUAL G4. I think single processor G4 is kind of old new now...

The Matrix Online. The Beta testing has begun.
Join us, Red Pill. For more info: The Matrix Online
Rezet is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 01:56 AM   #9
Nermal

I don't want a G5, because I need OS 9 bootability. And as a student, I can't justify going up to a dual. Looks like I'm going to dive in and get the G4, I'm trying to sell my iBook online right now, it's up to $1135 (here it is, multiply by 0.63 to convert to USD).
Nermal is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 02:51 AM   #10
asgardn1
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to asgardn1
You should buy the G4. I would say a 1.6 G5, but if expandability is what you are looking for the G4 is the way to go for now.
asgardn1 is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 04:03 AM   #11
Rezet
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Rezet
Quote:
I don't want a G5, because I need OS 9 bootability. And as a student, I can't justify going up to a dual. Looks like I'm going to dive in and get the G4, I'm trying to sell my iBook online right now, it's up to $1135 (here it is, multiply by 0.63 to convert to USD).
Listen dude, if you know what you want, then why the hell are you asking us?
You basically post it so people would agree with you to confirm you are making a reight decision or something?
And, Sorry but i think buying a single G4 tower right now is NOT a good idea.
Ask apple reps and see what they suggest.

The Matrix Online. The Beta testing has begun.
Join us, Red Pill. For more info: The Matrix Online
Rezet is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers