Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 11, 2003, 01:36 AM   #1
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Should I buy a G4?

I've got an 800 MHz iBook at the moment, and I'm getting frustrated with the small hard drive. I need something expandable. What are your opinions on the 1.25 GHz G4? Any horror stories I should know about before I part with my $1105* and buy it?

* I know they're normally $1299, I'm in New Zealand and I've "adjusted" the price to match how they're sold here.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2003, 01:58 AM   #2
CmdrLaForge
macrumors 68020
 
CmdrLaForge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: around the world
Send a message via AIM to CmdrLaForge Send a message via Skype™ to CmdrLaForge
If its only the harddrive - why are you not just getting an external one. Would be the cheapest solution.
__________________
rMacbook Pro 13" / Cinema Display 23" / iPad Air 128GB / iPhone5 white 16GB
CmdrLaForge is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:47 AM   #3
Sabenth
macrumors 6502a
 
Sabenth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Send a message via AIM to Sabenth Send a message via Yahoo to Sabenth
Have to agree here get an external if its just hard drive space you need i nearly bought the supper dupper model iBook g4 then relased that theres no need to i can buy an external and save myself extra cash .

Saying that if you really want an g4 go buy one your gona be using it not us lol

i have decided to buy a g4 iBook 800 and just updated the ram and buying a huge external drive at a later date
__________________
http://www.icompositions.com/artists/Lapskin/ Yep i am lapskin
Sabenth is offline   0
Old Nov 11, 2003, 04:14 AM   #4
Nermal
Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
I suppose I could just get an external HD, but then I'll probably find myself constrained by something else. My guess is the video card. I think maybe the best idea would be to sell this iBook while it'll still get a reasonably high price, and get the G4. The main concern I've got is needing to buy a separate display. I've also heard a lot of horror stories about newer Macs, so I'm just wondering whether there are any known issues with the G4s.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2003, 09:26 PM   #5
TyleRomeo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Nermal
I suppose I could just get an external HD, but then I'll probably find myself constrained by something else. My guess is the video card. I think maybe the best idea would be to sell this iBook while it'll still get a reasonably high price, and get the G4. The main concern I've got is needing to buy a separate display. I've also heard a lot of horror stories about newer Macs, so I'm just wondering whether there are any known issues with the G4s.
i have a dual 1.25 G4 firewire 400 and it works beautifully. G4 are solid they have been updated for over 3 years now.

Tyler
__________________
Mac Pro (Early 2008) Dual 2.8GHZ Quad 2GB RAM NVIDIA 8800GT 512MB
Dual 1.25 GHz PowerMac G4; 1.91TB; 2GB RAM ATI 9700 Pro 128MB; Airport
TyleRomeo is offline   0
Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:36 PM   #6
MoparShaha
macrumors 68000
 
MoparShaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Francisco
Yeah, I'd agree with TyleRomeo, get a G4. They are fantastic. I've been so happy with my dual 1.25. Very fast, stable, and good looking. Coming from an iMac, I like how I can expand it. Two optical drive bays, four HD bays, plus upgradeable graphics card. It's a computer that will last. I haven't had any of the "problems" associated with the MDD Power Macs, but I have one of the later FW800 models. I think you'll be more than happy with the Power Mac.
MoparShaha is online now   0
Old Nov 13, 2003, 01:14 AM   #7
abhishekit
macrumors 65816
 
abhishekit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: akron , ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to abhishekit
Quote:
Originally posted by Nermal
I suppose I could just get an external HD, but then I'll probably find myself constrained by something else. My guess is the video card. I think maybe the best idea would be to sell this iBook while it'll still get a reasonably high price, and get the G4. The main concern I've got is needing to buy a separate display. I've also heard a lot of horror stories about newer Macs, so I'm just wondering whether there are any known issues with the G4s.
well i got an ibook g4 last week...and its the sexiest thing i laid my hand on..fr a while.....excellent display...bright ....beautiful...its way better than my roommates 1800$ centrino machine....

cheers

abhi
__________________
" Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein
one of the videos I made
abhishekit is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 12:47 AM   #8
Rezet
macrumors 6502a
 
Rezet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Connecticut, United States of America
Send a message via AIM to Rezet
G4 is nice... but i'd go for 1.6 G5 or DUAL G4. I think single processor G4 is kind of old new now...
__________________
I will inject myself into your veins.
--------------------------------------

The Matrix Online. The Beta testing has begun.
Join us, Red Pill. For more info: The Matrix Online
Rezet is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 01:56 AM   #9
Nermal
Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
I don't want a G5, because I need OS 9 bootability. And as a student, I can't justify going up to a dual. Looks like I'm going to dive in and get the G4, I'm trying to sell my iBook online right now, it's up to $1135 (here it is, multiply by 0.63 to convert to USD).
Nermal is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 02:51 AM   #10
asgardn1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to asgardn1
You should buy the G4. I would say a 1.6 G5, but if expandability is what you are looking for the G4 is the way to go for now.
asgardn1 is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 04:03 AM   #11
Rezet
macrumors 6502a
 
Rezet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Connecticut, United States of America
Send a message via AIM to Rezet
Quote:
Originally posted by Nermal
I don't want a G5, because I need OS 9 bootability. And as a student, I can't justify going up to a dual. Looks like I'm going to dive in and get the G4, I'm trying to sell my iBook online right now, it's up to $1135 (here it is, multiply by 0.63 to convert to USD).
Listen dude, if you know what you want, then why the hell are you asking us?
You basically post it so people would agree with you to confirm you are making a reight decision or something?
And, Sorry but i think buying a single G4 tower right now is NOT a good idea.
Ask apple reps and see what they suggest.
__________________
I will inject myself into your veins.
--------------------------------------

The Matrix Online. The Beta testing has begun.
Join us, Red Pill. For more info: The Matrix Online
Rezet is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
should i buy or wait for Cyber Monday ? ansabakhan MacBook Pro 0 Nov 18, 2011 01:36 PM
Should I buy this cinema display duncanbrodie1 Mac Peripherals 1 May 5, 2011 10:48 PM
What should I buy? 15' g4 powerbook or 13'core 2 duo macbook? doktordoris PowerPC Macs 9 Mar 14, 2009 08:43 PM
Should I buy 350Mhz G4? riceforlife Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive) 5 May 19, 2004 09:01 AM
Should I buy a G4 at reduced price or a G5 ddahlberg Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive) 28 Sep 26, 2003 07:34 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC